Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #46
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
About the photos. Well, I can't figure how to get the pics from my camera to the tablet. Today I took my SD card and tried to download on the hotel pc. It said card error. I can't bring them up on my camera now. I put another card in the camera-it works. I'll save the other card and see if
I can recover any pictures when I get home.Sure wish I had my netbook here.

I just talked to Seouljoe, the local biking guru around here.He told me I need to get my bike as early as I can tomorrow and ride to Sokcho.Its a 6 hour ride.I will need to forfet my 3rd night here. He said I need to have my bike at the ferry by 9am for the 1pm departure.If I miss that ferry, I would have to take the more expensive ferry to Vladivostok on Thursday. That would also mean waiting 3-4 days to clear customs versus 3 hours in Zarubino.

Korean Air called the hotel today wanting to know when I am getting my bike.My translaters said when customs opens on Monday. I don't know what all they talked about.But there were 3 girls taking turns talking on the phone sith them.They gave me a piece of paper with a phone number, directions, and who to talk with in the morning.They will be glad I'm leaving a day early.
Doogle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #47
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
Ah, the joys of the logistics of importing a motor vehicle via air freight. I don't envy you that at all.

For your photos, maybe you could use a cable to connect the camera to the tablet? I think there are 3 sizes of USB connector, and I doubt you'd have a problem finding a cable with the right connectors.

Enjoy & be safe!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #48
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,820

so in for this one!
Ride safe.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
Montana Wayne
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Have a Safe Trip

Hi Doug good luck and have a safe trip. Keep us informed as you go along. Remember to take all your valuables with you when leave your bike alone. Wayne Rio Bend
Montana Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #50
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post

so in for this one!
Ride safe.
+1
Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #51
LivnLif2TheFulst
An Adventurous Soul

Oddometer: 23
Ohio Buckeye Nut

Subscribed.... looking forward to your RR on this adventure from another Buckeye in Cbus

OH - -,

Elvis

If You Think You Can or You Think You Can't...You're Right...

SEMPER-Fi
2008 Harley Davidson 96,000+ Miles
2009 BMW R1200 GSA 28,000+ Miles
LivnLif2TheFulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #52
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-3-13
I got up at 5am and had breakfast. Then I went to an ATM machine and withdrew 100, 000 wons.Today it gave me money, because I requested it from the correct account. Now I had money to buy a bus ticket. I took the hour bus ride to the airport to retrieve my motorcycle. Korean Air sent me to customs. Another 10 minute bus ride.Next I went to the correct customs building. They said I needed to go into Incheon DMV for some papes.Another hour bus ride and an hour of confusion. I finally finish and take the hour bus ride back to customs,

Everybody did rush helping me.Especially Mrs. Shinn.She brought me pizza, Coke, tea, and some leftover snacks from a celebration. She knew I had not eaten since 5am.The reason for my rush was he airport is on an island. Motorcycles are not allowed on the expressway. So you need to take a short ferry ride to get to the mainland. The last ferry leaves at 630.I finished with customs at 540. I was taken to the cargo terminal, a 10 minute ride. They rushed to get my crate and set it outside. My driver helped my uncrate my bike. With time running out, I put my panniers, tail bag, windshield, mirrors, and tank bag in the drivers car.These were removed for crating.I could put them on while on the ferry. We may make it in time. I hit the start button and have no electric. I asked the driver to roll a window down so I can hold on as he drives to bump start the bike.The 3rd pull it starts.Now I follow him 9 miles to the ferry.
As I'm following him I realize why the bike had no electric. When I shipped the bike, I had go disconnect the battery.I'm surprised it would start with the ground disconnected.The guy is running red lights to get me there in time.They were just closing the gate when we got there.They let me on. I parked my bike, as the driver and 2 ferry employees unloadedal my panniers, tailbag, and wwindshield.

During the ferry ride, I put everything on the bike except the windshield. And I reattaced the battery. When we got to the unloading area, I road the bike off and finished putting everything else back together. Finally on the road back to Seoul. It took about 2 hours going through city rush hours traffic.I decided to sleep a couple hours before riding to Sokcho and boarding that ferry.This ferry only runs once a week, and you need to be there by 9am.I slept from 12 to 2am.Then I left about 230am for the 5 hour ride.

Doogle screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 06:37 AM
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #53
OverFT5
n00b

Oddometer: 4
making good progress...

Doogle... impressed so far, sounds like fun. Wish I could do it... there is still Africa!!
OverFT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #54
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Wow! Glad you made it alright through that mess. Looking forward to more. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
6-3-13
I got up at 5am and had breakfast. Then I went to an ATM machine and withdrew 100, 000 wons.Today it gave me money, because I requested it from the correct account. Now I had money to buy a bus ticket. I took the hour bus ride to the airport to retrieve my motorcycle. Korean Air sent me to customs. Another 10 minute bus ride.Next I went to the correct customs building. They said I needed to go into Incheon DMV for some papes.Another hour bus ride and an hour of confusion. I finally finish and take the hour bus ride back to customs,

Everybody did rush helping me.Especially Mrs. Shinn.She brought me pizza, Coke, tea, and some leftover snacks from a celebration. She knew I had not eaten since 5am.The reason for my rush was he airport is on an island. Motorcycles are not allowed on the expressway. So you need to take a short ferry ride to get to the mainland. The last ferry leaves at 630.I finished with customs at 540. I was taken to the cargo terminal, a 10 minute ride. They rushed to get my crate and set it outside. My driver helped my uncrate my bike. With time running out, I put my panniers, tail bag, windshield, mirrors, and tank bag in the drivers car.These were removed for crating.I could put them on while on the ferry. We may make it in time. I hit the start button and have no electric. I asked the driver to roll a window down so I can hold on as he drives to bump start the bike.The 3rd pull it starts.Now I follow him 9 miles to the ferry.
As I'm following him I realize why the bike had no electric. When I shipped the bike, I had go disconnect the battery.I'm surprised it would start with the ground disconnected.The guy is running red lights to get me there in time.They were just closing the gate when we got there.They let me on. I parked my bike, as the driver and 2 ferry employees unloadedal my panniers, tailbag, and wwindshield.

During the ferry ride, I put everything on the bike except the windshield. And I reattaced the battery. When we got to the unloading area, I road the bike off and finished putting everything else back together. Finally on the road back to Seoul. It took about 2 hours going through city rush hours traffic.I decided to sleep a couple hours before riding to Sokcho and boarding that ferry.This ferry only runs once a week, and you need to be there by 9am.I slept from 12 to 2am.Then I left about 230am for the 5 hour ride.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #55
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally some pictures

An alley in Seoul

My hotel for 3 days in Seoul

Mrs Shin in customs

On the ferry to Incheon mainland

Reassembling the windshield just off the ferry

Incheon harbor

Road to Sokcho
Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #56
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Following from OHio

I mentioned earlier my dad is friends with Larry. I wanted to let you know I'm following and looking forward to meeting you when you get back. I like the report so far,

Safe travels....

PS - I am willing to do anything you need on the home front or send spare parts ahead or anything you need, just let me know. We'll work it our when you return..... Larry is a good guy so you must be too! just PM me whatever you need,

Pete
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #57
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
You Are Official!!!

You have pictures up!!!

Everyone now believes that this trip isn't made up!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #58
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
You have pictures up!!!

Everyone now believes that this trip isn't made up!
LOL!! I'm glad the pictures are finally working, hopefully you haven't lost the others from the first leg of the trip.

In!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #59
gandydancer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Doug sounds like you are having fun.

Lots to talk about at the squirrel when you get back

Marvin
gandydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #60
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 695
I'm in!

I was actually planning the same route going to Russia next year or 2015 but I wanted to travel on TCAT before getting my bike and myself shipped to Russia. I have a question for you- Is Pacific Motorsports the same company that used to be known as 'Richmond Motorsports'? I asked because on HUBB, it stated that some people used Richmond Motorsports to ship over to Korea but when I googled Richmond Motorsports, it was closed or out of business?? Unless the info on HUBB is incorrect? Did Pacific Motorsports arrange with the shipping company and you just do the paperwork or did you had to make arrangement with shipping company? If you made the arrangement, who is name of the company? Locker Evers? They take major credit card?

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.. just wanted to get more information since I am planning to get Russia about the similar way.

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 08:19 AM
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote