User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Mainjet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Suitable dual purpose bike for short ass

Looking at touring with significant offroad sections and some serious miles, maybe RTW. So the bike will be loaded with gear.

First trip will be the Trans America trail in a few weeks.

Missus being a short-ass we are looking for a suitable bike for her.
We are shortlisted the following for her as having a low seat height at 32" or 810mm:

Honda CRF 230
Yamaha XT225
Yamaha XT250
Suzuki DR200

The XT250 2013 has Fuel injection, but is 23kg heavier than the XT225.

BTW, in the dirt she normally ride a gasgas250 2stroke with no issues apart from when she needs to touch the ground with both feet, ie deep river crossings etc.

We are not particular worried about highway speed as long as we can sit on 60MPH or 100K/hr or there about.

Anyone care to comment on any of the above bikes with their opinion as to suitability, longevity etc or anything obvious we have overlooked.

Much appreciated

K
Mainjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Mainjet OP
Adventurer

BTW, buying in the USA.

Also a very good condition late model Suzuki DR350 could be the go, tho they have a seat height of 35"

K
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Xt225

Have you considered the newer model Honda CRF250L? Though the seat height is 34.7 inches, it's not too difficult to lower the seat height a couple of inches. They are also priced competitively as well.

As for the difference between the fuel injected XT250 vs. Carbureted XT225. I'd go for the cheaper, lighter version if it'll help her. The Xt225 is a bulletproof engine and will handle the terrain with no carb related issues. Save the 23kg and take the carb. It's time tested and proven.

DR200's are used around the world and are bulletproof as well. Easy going, reliable bike.

I'd take the XT225. Slap a 4 gallon Clarke aftermarket gas tank on it, and you'll be set. I've got 2 friends that each rode an XT225 over 10k miles a piece. One road it from Colorado to Panama, and the other then bought it and road it to Vancouver, Canada. It's still running today, sold to another ADVmember.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
There is a company called kouba link that makes lowering links for lots of different dual sport bikes.Replace a link in the rear suspension with new part-loosen front forks in triple clamps to lower front.The most popular small bore bike used by alot of members on here is the yamaha wr250r.Moose and another company called motorcycle lowering links make parts for the wr250r.The yamaha has a modern water cooled engine with efi and e-start.I have worked on a dr350 suzuki and liked it but you need to find the later version with e-start.The trans is a 6 speed with a good ratio spread.The problem with most modern japanese dual sports is weight-most are in the 300lb range.Another thing to try is a Seat Concepts wide seat.Alot of the new bikes come with the same 2x4 seat that was sourced from a moto-x version of the same bike-not good.I have a Honda xr650r that has been lowered and uses the Seat Concepts seat.No problems with the Kouba link or the Seat Concepts seat.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 773
BMW 650 single. Lower seat height than the ones listed, and good for serious miles. Use less juice than the others as well. Worth a thought maybe.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
BMW 650 single. Lower seat height than the ones listed, and good for serious miles. Use less juice than the others as well. Worth a thought maybe.
Although the BMW F650 single is a great bike, its way too big & heavy for a short person to ride on significant off road sections. My wife is pretty decent off road and she much prefers the small DS bikes off road.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

How tall is your misses and how is she built?

My wife is 5'4"/115lbs/29" inseam so bike weight & height are big factors for her. You definitely are being smart about this keeping her on shorter and lighter bikes.

She's had a couple XT225's and loves them. Her current one is setup with the Clark 4.1gal tank, TCI Sequoia Rack, lots of protection, etc. She took it on the Eastern TAT last year and did great. The XT225 has a wonder 6spd transmission and going up 1 tooth on the front makes it handle the road sections even better. There is no reason this bike couldn't do what you ask for it. The biggest thing going for the XT225 is it does have the Clark 4.1 gal tank available which gives the bike a great range. None of the others you listed have any aftermarket tanks available.

I would stay away from the DR200 as I think it gets a bit anemic on the road sections, more so than the other bikes. Very little aftermarket too for it.

The XT250 is also a very good bike, but unfortunately not as much aftermarket including no big tank. The 250 also only has a 5spd transmission, although the engine is a bit torquier than the 225. It does get FI for 2013, but its pretty pricey even coming in higher than the new Honda CRF250L.

The Honda CRF230L probably has the lowest seat height of the bikes you listed. Only problem again is not much after market available.

We did recently buy my wife one of the new 2013 CRF250L's to add to the stable. This bike is quite a bit porkier than the XT225 and that was something she really noticed. The extra height and weight definitely were a struggle in the beginning, but she's starting to get more used to it. She's fallen in love with the water cooled 250 FI engine on the Honda and I think that is the biggest thing going for her, otherwise she's still way more comfortable on the XT225 when it comes to challenging off road sections. She did get the low Seat Concepts seat (didn't really lower her much) and we took out quite a bit of preload so it actually sagged with her on it. We dropped the forks a bit to compensate for the lower preload in the rear, but there isn't much there to work with as the forks get thinner just a little ways down. IMOP, the CRF250L isn't the best bike to lower as you'll never get the front down as much as the rear if you use a link or do the re-drill method on the rear shock and therefore you'll end up with a front end to high and a bike that won't turn. The correct way to lower the CRF250L would be with new shock/fork internals.

Overall, the CRF250L is a great bike if someone can touch on it and doesn't mind the extra weight, but if weight/height are an issue, the XT225 or XT250 make better choices. Since you are looking at 32" seat heights, the CRF250L might just be too tall for her.

BTW, my wife did spend about a year on a KTM125sx dirt bike so that definitely helped her with taller dual sports, but in the end if they get to off road sections where they are struggling and can't get their feet down comfortable and fall over, they risk getting hurt and damaging the bike. Neither which are good when you are on a long trip like the TAT or RTW Trip.

My overall vote is for the XT225. Best aftermarket available, pretty robust & simple engines. They do 60mph okay as long as the rider and the gear isn't too over loaded. No big hard luggage cases as that just slows it down way too much. The XT225 could use a suspension upgrade to really handle the off road more smoothly, but its a great bike overall.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Mainjet OP
Adventurer

BlueLighting:
Yes, sounds like the XT225 is the right bike. Wasn't aware that a large aftermarket tank was available.

Missus is 5'1" and about 120lb. Pretty strong as well. She does out-ride half the guys on tough enduro sections, so she can ride.

When traveling you always have a loaded bike which is top heavy and you want to get off, often, to take photos, look at stuff etc, so it important that you can do that easily.

Woody:
BMW too heavy off the road.

bigalsmith:
CRF250 is too tall for her, even when lowered.

I guess if the bike is not right, we can always sell it and get something else. Its no like bikes are hard to find in the States :-).

BTW, for myself I'll most likely get a DR650, though the current deals on the Husqvarna 650 looks very attracting. Have had a few DR650, so know them reasonably well.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainjet View Post
BlueLighting:
Yes, sounds like the XT225 is the right bike. Wasn't aware that a large aftermarket tank was available.

Missus is 5'1" and about 120lb. Pretty strong as well. She does out-ride half the guys on tough enduro sections, so she can ride.

When traveling you always have a loaded bike which is top heavy and you want to get off, often, to take photos, look at stuff etc, so it important that you can do that easily.

Woody:
BMW too heavy off the road.

bigalsmith:
CRF250 is too tall for her, even when lowered.

I guess if the bike is not right, we can always sell it and get something else. Its no like bikes are hard to find in the States :-).

BTW, for myself I'll most likely get a DR650, though the current deals on the Husqvarna 650 looks very attracting. Have had a few DR650, so know them reasonably well.
Yeah at 5'1", the CRF250L is definitely too tall. She might even be a little on her toes on the XT225, but at least its one of the lightest ones out there at 120lbs, she'll be perfect for that bike. I think the XT225 probably makes the best option for you guys.

The Clark tank is definitely nice and with 4.1 gallons, it gives the XT over a 200 mile range. Since you are looking at the DR, you have lots of options available too including the 4.9 or 5.3 tanks.

Good luck and please link into this thread if you start doing any type of ride report, that way we can follow you.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
xt225

very easy to fix en route in the unlikely event something does happen. I might suggest that with this and probably and carb'ed bike, you look at an airbox slider that will allow you to let more air into the airbox at higher elevations to correct your air fuel mixture. This has been my only real qualm with the bike. The starter clutches seem to go at around 12,000 miles if used heavily, or the bike is started while in gear. I LOVE the fact that you can get an available kickstart as well for this bike and have both. Many available aftermarket options as well. Have you and your wife read "Lois on the loose" yet?
(She used a ttr230, which is the same as an XT in many regards)
http://www.loisontheloose.com/
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainjet View Post
Are you looking at buying new bikes, or are you in the market for used bikes? As you mention that you are most likely getting a DR650, I feel that I should tell you that I've got a 2009 DR650 very well set up that I listed for sale last winter. It's located 50km north of Seattle. Feel free to P.M. me if interested.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,478
Why not pick the best bike for the job and then have the suspension lowered (the right way by a reputable suspension shop) to suit her height? My missus is about the same height, and rides a WR250R. When we bought it she couldn't even come close to touching the ground. Now she can nearly flat foot on one side or get both toes down.

Also, i highly recommend the wr250, super reliable, injected, tons of after market parts. This is about the best pic I can find in it's current form. Oversize tank, skid plate, happy trails panniers. Her previous bike was a DR350, she says the handling is better on the WR and the injected 250 feels more powerful than the carbed 350. Her longest single day on this bike was from Coco's Corner to Loreto in Baja, 360 miles.

This was the bike in stock form, you can see in the pic she barely has one toe down. What you can't see very well due to camera angle is she is hanging off one side of the seat. She also had to have help to get the bike off the sidestand, with the bike on the side stand she could not touch and stand it up.

Now with the suspension properly lowered she can do this:

Keep in mind the bike is actually sitting on slightly uneven ground making it an even farther reach to the ground.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 10:09 AM
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Mainjet OP
Adventurer

Like the WR setup very much.
Actually she used to race a WR250 and still raves on about the bike.

Any indication of cost for a setup like that, excluding the bike cost and panniers

Kim

Mainjet screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 01:35 PM
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,106
Klx250?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Mainjet OP
Adventurer

I guess this also brings all the other 250's back into consideration.