User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,365
The "wisdom" of pet trailers?

I'm NOT interested in a discussion about the merits and dangers of trailer towing on a motorcycle; please don't go there.

My concern is for the dog, riding along 4 feet from the exhaust. I've seen a few trailers specifically designed for carrying pets, and if the dog is too big to ride ON the bike it seems like it could be a reasonable alternative to a cage or sidecar (Much less expensive than a hack too).

I know most horse trailers follow close behind a diesel powered tow rig, but a horse's head is 6 feet above the tailpipe. Is it safe for the dog to ride in the slipstream of your liter bike in traffic?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I'm NOT interested in a discussion about the merits and dangers of trailer towing on a motorcycle; please don't go there.

My concern is for the dog, riding along 4 feet from the exhaust. I've seen a few trailers specifically designed for carrying pets, and if the dog is too big to ride ON the bike it seems like it could be a reasonable alternative to a cage or sidecar (Much less expensive than a hack too).

I know most horse trailers follow close behind a diesel powered tow rig, but a horse's head is 6 feet above the tailpipe. Is it safe for the dog to ride in the slipstream of your liter bike in traffic?
Is it safe for you to ride in the slipstream of hundreds of other cars? I wouldn't have it be enclosed trailer with openings up front, and I would probably leave the stock exhaust in place if it has a catalytic converter. Carbon monoxide is going to be the killer here. The unburned hydrocarbons have the same amount of chance of giving your dog cancer as you have as a rider. CO2 isn't going to be a big deal, it'll be the CO.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,851
No body really knows....but the only way you could find out for sure without running the risk of killing phideaux (I'm from south of Pierre Part) is to buy the trailer, install a battery powered CO moniter from Lowe's/Depot, ride around and listen for the alarm.

Dirty
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
i like dogs and can't figure out why anyone would seriously consider doing this to one.
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
i like dogs and can't figure out why anyone would seriously consider doing this to one.
I'd love to hear in what way you would expect a dog to be harmed or traumatized by this?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I think it was mentioned early on to "not go there". So let's not.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

If I thought I was likely to wreck it I wouldn't do it at all, dog or not. If I was worried about it I'd be in a cage.
I was hoping for intelligent conversation, yet the only argument against is pessimism about towing with a bike. Let's just pretend I value my own life too, and know how to ride
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I'd love to hear in what way you would expect a dog to be harmed or traumatized by this?
It would be interesting I'm sure...lol

I used to have a little dog that loved to ride... Like hind legs in my lap and front ones on the tank bag... So if I had a big dog, I'd do the trailer thing... Yeah, hell yeah...
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,287
A newer bike should have very low CO emissions. Can't even kill yourself with the car running in the garage any more
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Electric bike perhaps?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 678
Not sure I would do a long trip, but if you're just going for an occasional cruise I wouldn't see any harm in it. It's not like Fresno has great air quality anyways....
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 570
Laugh do it!

Thank you for starting this thread; subscribed. We're close to getting a pup that should grow to 50-70lbs over maybe 2yrs. My 250 trailers my camping gear & I'd like to modify it to bring the dog. Gear can ride as 'pillion'. Trailer box is a 24Gal Rubbermaid Action Packer. Let me know if you need pix. A similar sized airline pet crate could be there instead.

I don't think CO is a problem & a detector would be easy to verify. My concern is that droning noise from wind, muffler & knobbies. I doubt the dog will wear earplugs like we do. I can ask the vet, use doggles, design a good box, borrow a sound meter. Also, maybe add a sound deflecting plate near the muffler end. Here's the best dog trailer I've seen :
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=96

from Pics/Dogs on Motorcycles

Dogs are pretty smart, given some patience. Why not let it choose? Tie something unique to the position it rides (trailer=bell, pillion=rag, car=rope). Take time to train & maybe it gets the association & can 'get' (picks up rag vs other 2) where it wants to sit for a joy ride. Google Kyra Sundance for a dog trainer.

FWIW, you did a great job clarifying things in the 1st post. However, the title invites criticism of the idea. Maybe you want to change it or just ignore non-constructive criticism. Just trying to be helpful

I don't want to trade for a hack just yet but it's so nice to just see each other or lean over for a pat.

Cromoth screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 06:49 PM Reason: add text
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
i would expect that a dog being trailered in the exhaust trail of a motorcycle would suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. probably not killed outright, but sick from the exposure, if back there for long enough. ask yourself if you'd place your toddler back there and ride for an hour. Yeah, hell yeah! .. you already touched on this in post#1 so don't be too suprised if someone else would also think, this is a bad idea.

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 09:03 PM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've copy and pasted the actual post into your quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Here's the best dog trailer I've seen :
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=96

from Pics/Dogs on Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealtrapperdog View Post
This is Ruthie our Aussie and her "Wags trailer" She's been about 25K miles around the western US in the trailer. We also have a Long hair Chihuahua who has been about 5K. I use a wireless temperature readout on my dash to keep an eye on the inside temps and just pick our direction every day based on ambiant temperatures. We do not travel with them in the middle of summer unless it's up to our mountain house 150 miles away and leave very early. Screened windows, fan, light and stop every hour for a walk.
That's exactly the trailer I had in mind, and he's expressed what I think is a good strategy.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i would expect that a dog being trailered in the exhaust trail of a motorcycle would suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. probably not killed outright, but sick from the exposure, if back there for long enough. ask yourself if you'd place your toddler back there and ride for an hour. Yeah, hell yeah! .. you already touched on this in post#1 so don't be too suprised if someone else would also think, this is a bad idea.
Well yes. That IS my concern, and why I started this thread. Yet they make some very nice trailers for doing exactly what I've asked about.