Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #16
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 565
no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I've copy and pasted the actual post into your quote.

That's exactly the trailer I had in mind, and he's expressed what I think is a good strategy.
Thanks for the computer-fu. I could copy & paste pix but not lately. PM me how you got it to work?

What size engine or how big a CO factory you ride? Are there other fumes, small 2-stroke?

I think aerodynamics will solve any CO issue. Look at car air scoops, the kind that point forward & do not do that. Another version, maybe air ram, has the opening pointing to the windshield & still forces air into the engine by high pressure made by the windshield. So if the trailer fresh air is at the rear where the most diluted & freshest air is then you just need a CO monitor to confirm it's not a problem.

Here's another design (similar to what I'll be modding) with a dog pictured. Nutz, there was a picture with their box & a bulldog inside & maybe a clear top but I'm getting x's http://www.trailtail.com/gallery.html If it works in Canada, why not here?
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
What about the double decker cattle trailers pulled by a semi? Seems like those on top would be getting a nose full of diesel fumes...

I think as long as its vented well so it could pull fresh air in and not let CO build up it would be fine...
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,264
I went from this:

to this:

He isn't actually in the crate at the time the picture was taken. When he is in the crate weather permitting I have something similar to this is placed on the crate.

The crate door faces the rear and the rear of the crate has it's vents blocked. I also added a longer tongue to move it back farther away from the pipes.

Bob is a Border Collie and would simply not get in the crate if the noise or ride quality wasn't to his liking. He jumps right in and can't wait to go.

Of course he can't tell me about the fumes, so a carbon monoxide detector is a great idea.

This rig is used mostly for getting him to my camp which is about 5 hours away by highway. He goes up, runs around like a fool for a couple of days and then rides back. I don't think I would just take him on tour where he would spend days on end in the box.

The sidecar had its positive points but my gas mileage was cut by close to half and in bad weather that was one miserable pup. He hated to wear any kind of gear such as an old sweatshirt or rain jacket.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,714
Dog Saucer
http://www.dogsaucer.com/

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post

I like it, a LOT!

OTOH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwitheyes View Post

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 367
Was thinking about this before replying. One thing you may do is use flexi tubing (the tubing repair shops attach to the exhaust pipe that gets routed to the outside of the building) that is clamped to the exhaust pipe and routed under the trailer. Not sure how that would work but perhaps worth a shot. Just a couple pennies worth of info at best.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,203
Really CO is not an issue especially in an open environment. Pre pollution control days yes but not now. Diesel fumes would be a lot worse. Used to be you could kill yourself with your car in an enclosed garage, now nothing happens, it's my line of work, not the killing self but working with suicides.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

[QUOTE=JustKip;21387714]I like it, a LOT!

$200.00 HF trailer, a few mods, $40 pet carrier from craigslist, Probably $50 for the decking and the hardware. I think the extra long tounge was $30 from a scrap metal place.

Have room for the dog plus gear, but when he is not with me I can keep a full cooler of ice and beer locked up.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #24
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Try it with a cat first.(JK)

As long as it is ventilated from somewhere away from the main exhaust stream I would think the dog would be OK. To be extra safe you could put a 12V fan in the top of the trailer to pull in fresh air.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #25
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I've been thinking the same thing, how to drag the hound around. I've seen a container made with this in mind that would mount to the tail plate of the bike. Don't think they make them though.
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

As long as it is ventilated from somewhere away from the main exhaust stream I would think the dog would be OK. To be extra safe you could put a 12V fan in the top of the trailer to pull in fresh air.

HF sells a solar fan. I don't worry about enough air when moving. More so for when I have to run into a gas station or something.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
HF sells a solar fan. I don't worry about enough air when moving. More so for when I have to run into a gas station or something.
Ok to leave the kids in the car though
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
hogasm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

Problems with a fan running in the lid of the trailer is that eventually it will burn out from the bikes speed varying from the fans speed. I have seen them last as little as 2 minutes.
The main thing about co emissions is to have the fresh air openings of the trailer out of the exhaust stream. I have spent many hours testing the trailer I built for my Lab to make sure it is safe for her.
I can not post pics here so if you would like to see a pic of the one I built send me a pm with your email
Brian
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 565
another pet trailer

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/in...roducts_id=431
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 247
That flying saucer thingie looks like a good way to turn Fido in to a fried egg.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote