User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
alnmike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Used BMW vs New Strom

Hi guys, Ive got a decision to make in the coming weeks. Whether to buy a Wee-strom or a Beamer. I have done my due diligence in searching this forum and the internet, and have found a whopping 2 threads, the most helpful of which is 8 years old :)

The dilemma is this: A used BMW 1100/1150/1200 that is 8-10 years old and has 40-60k miles cost the same as a brand new Weestrom with comparable farkles.

Heres my history: Last summer I bought an '02 Vee and rode it for a month before a minivan ran a stop sign and turned left... From the moment I got on the Vee, I decided that was the bike for me. My first bike was an old shaft drive Suzuki GS650.

My next bike must have ABS, and be the kind of bike that can handle a 85/15 on/offroad mix. My brain is telling me to buy a used Wee (searching, but not finding something I want to jump on) and let that be it. But I want to be riding soon, and everything I'm seeing are used BMW's for 10-13k, or non ABS Stroms, so I might as well buy a new one and another 2-3k on farkles.

Im familiar with the Wee's lack of problems and maintenance, but what are the concerns coming from BMW's side? I've heard of final drive issues, but mostly from a Strom bias. I also loved the power of the Vee, and know that the BMW gets me closer to that than the Wee. Also, what would be the re-sale in another 5 years give or take. New depreciation on the Wee should hit harder than a used bike, but I don't know to what extent or if even true.

I would love to discuss the pros/cons of both lines of bikes and what is going to be the most reasonable/enjoyable next bike experience. Thank you in advance for your help.
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Tell us more about yourself:

do you like to do your own maintenance or do you like to take it in?

do you want way more performance with a little less reliability or the other way around?

Coming from a Vee myself, the 07 1200gs was a big improvement all around. I did mind the price difference initially, but after a while I realized that it's better to cry once.

YMMV

ReubenRN
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
alnmike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenRN View Post
Tell us more about yourself:

do you like to do your own maintenance or do you like to take it in?
I have disassembled the carbs many times and done the valve clearance job on my old bike. If the procedure is in a book and doesn't require crazy special tools, then I can do it.

do you want way more performance with a little less reliability or the other way around?

I am willing to do more maintenance, but reliability is a concern. However, a 1% chance that something is going to happen, and if I get warning (Oil leaking out of the FD), then I'm fine.

Coming from a Vee myself, the 07 1200gs was a big improvement all around. I did mind the price difference initially, but after a while I realized that it's better to cry once.

I havent actually ridden a BMW, just the Vee and Wee (When I was shopping for the Vee). I know thats my first step. My only concern is Ill be wanting more from the Wee, and on the flip side, wanting a cheaper bike if I get the BMW lol. The Vee was absolutely PERFECT for me. I could ignore the chudder, but now I want ABS...

YMMV

ReubenRN
Thanks for the response
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
If reliability is an issue, the DL hands down.

As far as power goes, the DL 650 is on a par with the 1150. Yes, the 1150 has more paper ponies, but more weight, so the DL 650 has near identical performance one up.

In theory the BMW has better suspension, but at that age, unless it's been refurbed or updated the DL's is probably better.

Not arguing the BMW's have more character, but the DL wins if you want a bike you just ride.

I could possibly live with a BMW as a second bike or if I was just a weekend rider , but not as a primary means of transport. (That's essentially why I sold my BMW and got a DL, I needed something that was always working).

Oh, and if you want WORKING ABS - avoid the older BMW's, the ABS went bang with notorious regularity.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
If DL1000 was your bike, but you want ABS, there is a new DL1000 with ABS + traction control coming up for -14. Price will depend on a lot of things, and vary from country to country, but my wild guess would be roughly half-way between DL650 and R1200GS.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,695
I am currently working out the same issue. I had a GS and loved it. But sadly rode a few Wee's and found them as fast as my GS was. I ultimately decided to get the DL1000.
In my case I am a huge fat ass who likes to travel heavy. I figure in the long run I would rather work the big motor lighter then ring the piss out of a small motor pulling 350lb me with another 50 plus lbs of gear up and down the big hills here. The V and Wee are so close in physical size, it seemed like the right choice for me.
Another factor was price. A clean DL1000 will not break the bank. And be super dependable. As much as I loved my GS, it had its issues. And adding farkles to a GS costs a lot more then a Strom. So as much as I loved the GS, the strom made more sense for me and my finical situation. Maybe down the road I might go back to a GS. But it will be when I can afford it without issue. Affording to buy one and own one are 2 different things.

And done right, they can be anything you want.....
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I had the Same Issue - Different Result

I found quite a few 1200GS models of various age out there in the $9-12k price range and while I was shopping for the new Wee I kept thinking about the BMWs.
Obviously some of the folks on this thread went with the V, but I went with the 1200 ('07) and have not regretted it once. It's a superior bike in every way. YOU can do almost all the regular maintenance yourself easily. It's much more comfortable...
No regrets.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
You've answered your own question!

quote "The Vee was absolutely PERFECT for me"

Looks like you have your answer! If the Wee is perfect, then buy it! I bought a new Wee for a ride to Alaska, farkeled it all up, and put about 15K miles on it. I liked the bike, but something was just not appealing to me with it. While the dependability was un-questionable, seemed like the bolts were "soft" and the overall quality was that of a $6000 bike.

Then i found a good clean R1200GSA. Love the GSA, but i am about 95% street, some dirt roads. The GSA is bigger, better fuel range, and better overall quality and engineering.

My 2 cents....but i think you have your answer!
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Having owned both bikes I would pick either one. The older BMW, that's 02-06 BMW's with ABS have Servo Brakes, if the unit goes out the cost is around $3000 to have it replaced. This is usually not a problem if their owners have done the maintenance on them, which is replacing the fluid and checking the system on a regular maintenance intervals. But they do go out, so I would look at the 2007 or newer models just for that reason. The 1000 Suzuki's do not have ABS brakes so that bike is out for you, but the 650 V-Stroms added ABS in 2007, but not standard until 2009 on all models, hope I got the years right. That said, picking the right BMW will be where the choice for you begins, but most BMW owners do the proper maintenance on their bikes, it's a BMW thing. The Suzuki's just seem to run regardless how you ride them, but there are many well cared for ones out there. Don't forget a used Tenere, probably going to be one of the best bikes out there over time.

John

trainman screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 06:14 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I just entered the world of Vee ownership. I previously owned a BMW G650 X-Country, it was a good bike, but had it's share of issues, that thankfully were settled under warranty. I love BMW's, but like a lot of others on here, didn't like the extra cost of maintenance. $600 for a 6000 mile service. I don't mind doing an oil change, but the rest I leave up to service department.

Anyway, I have ridden a 1200GS, great bike, but it never stood out as anything really special, not double the price of Vee special. I just picked up a 2006 Vee with 17K, for $6000 at my dealer, it already had all the farkles I was looking for, so it saved me another $1500 in accessories. They also had a 2006 1200GS, but it was $11500. I couldn't justify the cost. I can live without ABS, but that's me.

Does your dealer have any good deals on leftover Wee's with ABS?

BMW's will cost you more to purchase, and more to maintain in the long run, whether or not you do your own maintenance or not. Five years ago I would have told you to get the BMW, GS's are cool, and Charlie and Ewan rode them, but I guess I am getting more practical, or cheap in my old age and cannot justify spending all that extra money on a bike that can do the same job. My 2 cents.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
perspective

Had a wee, sold it a picked up a 05 1200GS on this forum for $7500 over two years ago, the bike has been trouble free. And is actually easier to maintain the wee WHERE I live. Have put over 30,000 miles on it. It is over a hundred miles to a Zuke dealership, over 250 to a BM. But the BMW I can do the valves in half an hour every other oil change, the final takes about the same and the transmission is easy. There is a vendor that rebuilds the servos for around $300 with a warranty. buy what you want, or go demo a GS and see. You can get out of a used bike for almost what you bought it for if you ride it a season and decide to move on. Either is a great ride. On this side of the aisle you will get a different view than over in the BMW side. I kep coming over here hoping for more rumors of a litre shafty that weighs less than my GS. The HP race with the added weight is not what I want. At 63 these bikes aren't getting easier to pickup.

icebox screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 07:13 AM
icebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,052
Most of us by bikes for the visceral feels they impart. It's not quite like buying a new refrigerator, etc. I've had a big V and the motor is pretty sweet, it's got much more punch than the BMW but.....the bike itself feels and looks cheap compared to the BMW. The V just never really hit all my buttons like most other bikes I have owned.

I played with it a few years, then traded it for a new 05 BMW RT. I though that was the bees knees until I test rode a new 08 GSA. It fit me better and the longer, plush suspension was nice so I bought it and sold the RT. That was the bike for me for almost 50k miles until I bought a Moto Guzzi Griso last year just because it was so damn pretty and relatively rare too.

The Guzzi experience was a revelation. Such a fun bike, quality components and a rockin exhaust note even in stock form. After a summer of playing with the guzzi I sold my beloved GSA and ordered a Stelvio to replace it. I've put 6500 miles on the Stelvio in the 4 months I've had it and I have now found motorcycle nervina.

Of course your experience may differ. My rambling point is this. Buying a bike isn't rocket surgery and it isn't "until death do us part.". You can always swap it off, if you are buying a used bike in the first place you might even come out ahead when you sell it.

Get the bike that torques your nutz and don't look back.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
runrider
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
Just don't "settle" and be saddled with a season of regret!

Absolutely loved my '08 matte black wee and returned from Afghanistan late '09 with "making memories" high on my list of priorities. My 10 year old son and I did 10 days and 2000 miles of Smoky Mountains, BRP, Gettysburg, all the way up into the Finger Lakes Region of NY. In mid 2011, we attended a BMW rally in PA and I was convinced I "must have" a GS and within a few months, had sold my Wee (which is for sale on this site again) and was busy searching for a "good used" and reasonably priced GS, preferably a GSA. Long story short...after many offers and rejections and tire kicking ceremonies, I abandoned my search because I became frustrated with the "asking" price of the GS versus "new" VStroms. After a short term and "one ride" specific mission with a KLR, I renewed my efforts this spring and found a wonderfully discounted...brand new...wiz bang gadget and feature laden...Super Tenere! Leftover '12s being heavily discounted...check it out!
runrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,449
Easy.

How many threads do you read about people in a panic cause they are having Vee Strom trouble?

"none".

Or not many.

Some folks will yawn at the sight of a Wee, but if having a bike so reliable and versatile in many applications makes it "boring", than so be it. At an eventual age, one is more concerned about the destination, getting there will all your shit, and having a good time with friends.

Standing at the parts and service counter and shucking out greenbacks for an oddly quirky bike not my thing.

I don't even own a Strom. But will say good things about them from my experience with them at work, etc. They simply never come back for service. We see them 60,000 miles later when the owner trades them in on another new one and they still fetch several grand for the old one. The trade in's as tight and reliable feeling on test drives as the new ones.

Great "value" bike for the money. All just my opinion. A new GS would be a riot, but I don't think it's a great "value" if you get what I mean.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Easy.

How many threads do you read about people in a panic cause they are having Vee Strom trouble?

"none".

Or not many.

Some folks will yawn at the sight of a Wee, but if having a bike so reliable and versatile in many applications makes it "boring", than so be it. At an eventual age, one is more concerned about the destination, getting there will all your shit, and having a good time with friends.

Standing at the parts and service counter and shucking out greenbacks for an oddly quirky bike not my thing.

I don't even own a Strom. But will say good things about them from my experience with them at work, etc. They simply never come back for service. We see them 60,000 miles later when the owner trades them in on another new one and they still fetch several grand for the old one. The trade in's as tight and reliable feeling on test drives as the new ones.

Great "value" bike for the money. All just my opinion. A new GS would be a riot, but I don't think it's a great "value" if you get what I mean.
Why I bought a Wee. For me its all the bike I need. But than I love my KLR also