User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
BuiltnotBought OP
Perpetual Project

Oddometer: 42
Tail lighting question

Working on building my own leaner rig and just curious what the standard practice is for wiring up the tail lights on such a rig. I will have a tail/brake light on the rig for sure, but I'm not sure when it comes to signals? Should I be concerned with having a signal out on the rig too, or is it standard practice to just go with the ones on the bike?

If the rig was rigid mount I would wire in the signal on the rig, but with a leaner that I will be taking on/off fairly often I'm not sure if I should bother. And I don't want to have 2 signals flashing at the same time when I turn right, one on the bike and one on the rig, that would just be confusing.
I'm in Ontario if that matters if anyone knows the official regs.

Thanks for any "light" you can shed on things
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
ANKOF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
where I live indicators and lights must go on the outer points of the vehicle. you should be able to find the local regulations on the net or from who ever does the regular inspections of the bike.
ANKOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
apross
apross

Oddometer: 7
I'm also in Ontario Canada.
I put a run, stop and turn on the sidecar fender rear and a run and turn on the sidecar front.
I also installed run lights to the rear turn signals of the bike on either side of the center run/brake light by installing 2 filament lamp sockets.
I don't know what the regs say but I figure the more lights flashing, the better. Flashing lights usually indicate a warning, correct? So the lights would indicate the bike and the sidecar are turning right.
apross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
BuiltnotBought OP
Perpetual Project

Oddometer: 42
Thanks for the input apross. I suppose you are right I should try and wire in the signals on the rig if at all possible, it will just take some creative wiring to get it all blinking proper. I will just have to remember to unplug my RH indicator on the bike when I throw the hack on. I had planned on doing a front marker light as well, so I don't completely freak out the unsuspecting oncoming traffic. Though with the few test runs I have made so far with this rig it seems to have no trouble capturing the public's attention :)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Hellracer.nl
What the hack???

Oddometer: 319
I've got a run and brake light on the sidefender of my leaner and a turn light on top of the fender.

My Leaner build: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836987
Hellracer.nl is offline   Reply With Quote