Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #31
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I'm leaving for a trip in 2 weeks but if you're in edmonton before then hit me up. I've got beer and a stocked garage. Fellow train driver but I lost my ring.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Stopping in Calgary???? PM me. we can go for a spin out in the mountains.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Jeff was here in Saskatoon last night. He had a leaky fork seal so a couple of us from the Sask Dual-Sport Club (http://www.saskatchewandualsport.com/forum/index.php, for those interested) helped him out. He managed to get the parts from Rec Supply, and after I couldn't find my KLR fork tool (2 feet of 5/8" allthread and 4 15/16" nuts) I took him to Princess Auto to get the parts for a new one. One of our other SDSC members, Brad, gave him tent space and supplied a garage and bike lift for him to work on it. We managed to find some fork oil for him too, as well as some KLR shop manuals to use.

He was headed back out on the road this morning. Hope the rest of your trip goes well, Jeff!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Liking Alaska RR's.....

I haven't read anything here yet but since we have two kids living in Anchorage, and having been there several times, all RR's heading in that direction perk me up. Thanks for taking the time to write about it. I'll be following along from my ole recliner!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #35
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,407
yup

Excited for you. A bit early maybe, excited to see how you fare.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Fun in Manitoba

Dear Mother and Girlfriend,

I am still alive.

Yours Truly.

J.B.

Now that we got that out of the way...

While in Manitoba I was fortunate enough to spend the night at TheMechanics place, and he was nice enough to take me out on a ride in the evening to see the sights around his town.
Manitoba may be flatter than a pancake down here, but it has some beautiful spots.

Here is TheMechanic with his DR650

I had the bike running through some ugly stuff, and pushed the Mefo`s to their limits, but it was a nice break from going flat out across the prairies.

And man!!! I mean FLAT!!! I used to live in Calgary, so I had experienced the prairies before but that was over ten years ago and I had never experienced actually DRIVING myself across the prairies. Music makes the time pass a little quicker... I don`t think I had ever sang Hey Jude at the top of my lungs like that before .

A note on riding with a backpack: many people ask me, "doesn't it suck riding your bike with that heavy backpack on?" (it probably weighs around 40-50lbs, 60l bag, mostly clothes but also toiletries, batteries, fuel for stove, and spare parts.)The answer: For the most part, No.
When riding a motorcycle without a backpack, I have the tendency to slouch forward almost as much as my body will allow. I do this usually when riding on looooooooong flaaaaaaaaat rooooooooooads. When I wear the backpack, it promotes good posture by pulling back on my shoulders when I begin to slouch, and therefore, usually helps me stay more comfortable in the long run. This requires that: 1) The backpack has a frame, 2) The waist belt is tight, 3) the shoulder straps are the correct height and tight as well. When worn correctly, your hips bear the weight of the backpack, and you do not expend much energy wearing it*. Sometimes the bag does cause discomfort. This usually occurs after an extended period of time and the shoulder straps are pulling on my shoulders. This can sometimes be remedied by loosening all the straps and resting the bag on my tailbag, which is immediately behind me as I drive (it almost acts a bit as a lumbar support). Finally, I wear a kidney bet for support as well. This was recommended to me by a couple people, and it is a really cheap and easy thing I bought which has made the trip much better.

*This is true for constant speeds, when driving in the city with a lot of stops and starts, the heavy bag takes a lot out of you. It is also necessary that the bag clears, or comfortably sits on an tail bag you may have so that it is not constantly pushing you forward onto the handlebars.
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Saskatchewan

OH NO! SHE'S WOUNDED!

I noticed a leaky fork seal while returning to my bike after a pit stop in Saskatchewan. (probably due to that dusty-dirty trail riding I did with TheMechanic!!!). This was something I needed to fix, ASAP. I called up a place in Saskatoon and they had my fork seals in stock (I know, I was amazed too) and bought them for when I had to opportunity to fix them. Little did I know it would be THAT NIGHT! I was sitting at McDonalds when a man came up to me and asked "You wouldn't happen to be driving from Toronto to Alaska are you?" It turns out it was Kiffernathan! I had contacted him earlier that morning for tent space! Small world!! We talked a bit about about my trip and I had mentioned my fork seal and he had just the tool I needed! As Kiffernathan mentioned already, I ended up staying at a fellow dual sport riders house and he let me use he garage and some of his tools! I can't express how grateful I am for these two guys lending me their time and help to get me on the road again.

The Saskatoon Saviors!!!

This was an interesting experience driving from Saskatoon to Edmonton. Road flooding! I never thought I would be getting my feet wet driving across the prairies when it was not raining!

I thought this was funny, those Saskatchewan people are so innocent

As I mentioned before, I lived in Calgary. I must admit, I like Ontario better; I find it more interesting. Although there is something I miss about the prairies, I can't quite put my finger on it, but in it's own way it's a cool place.

In the next episode... Jeff CHANGES A TIRE!!!!! Will it hold up as long as the last one did, or will he have wasted his money?!?!?!?! STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #38
Mr. Bagel
n00b

Oddometer: 7
"Dear Mother and Girlfriend,

I am still alive."

So what am I, chopped liver?
Mr. Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #39
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I can't express how grateful I am for these two guys lending me their time and help to get me on the road again.
You're welcome!

Part of it is participating in your adventure, even if it's just in our own little way. Part of it is that we know it might be us looking for help at some point in the future. Part of it is that we get to meet someone new from another part of the world who is doing cool stuff. And part of it is that I just like hanging out in someone's garage fixing bikes and drinking beer. But it was a good experience on our end too, and I highly recommend to all AdvRiders that you should help out a fellow rider in need at some point.

Anyway, glad it worked out and hopefully your upcoming tire change goes smoothly! Keep us in the loop!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Keep going buddy.....we are only just now getting the warmer weather.....and I have a stinking cold! Bike is down and I am riding with you so to speak!.....besides the best part is almost there in front of you.....them tall spikey shaped things sticking out of the ground......you'll love it!

I can't wait for next summer when I get to do the same ride.....all over again.

You do know a KLR isn't a dirtbike eh....lol.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #41
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Nice RR, good to see that you are hitting all the highlights of Northern Ontario, Wawa Goose, Dryden Moose...

Having spent a few hours in the Thode Library many years ago, its good to hear that a newly minted Mac MechEng graduate has a job and is spending a couple of months exploring the country on two wheels.

Looking forward to the continuation of your report.
TigerXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #42
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Nice report - like your style , and is heartwarming seeing that bike people still want to help ...

We've done it more than 20 years ago, but I think that the "Forestry Trunk Road #40" that goes north from Morley/Bow Valley should still be gravel - if you have already seen the rockies and glaciers may be a fun alternative.
Don't remember if there was fuel before red deer - but our 1988 bikes had 600+ kms autonomy .
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #43
TheMechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
That was a good ride. You should post that video of that hill climb.

Good luck on the rest of your trip. Don't forget the bear spray

TheMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh Trouble in Prince George!

Here we go again!....

Headlight and taillight not working, discovered this when my heated grips also ceased to keep my fingers nice and toasty warm. I'm suspecting its a fuse, will let you know when figured out! This bike has been keeping me busy! Not enough time for a full post; sorry folks!

Bambooda screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:31 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #45
prophog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Stick with it

I'm in

I am a man.... I can change... If I have to... I guess
"Red Green Show"
prophog is offline   Reply With Quote