User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
jearnshaw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Shoei GT Air?

Well I stopped at a store today to try on a Shoei Qwest before I order one...while there the salesman did a awesome job describing the differences in the Shoei lineup. He did have great things to say about the Qwest but since I mentioned I commute and had a lot of problems with my Icon fogging up in the winter he stated he could order a Pinlock visor for the Qwest and he showed me the GT Air which comes with one....Long story short for sake of my bank account I should have not tried on the GT wow just wow the helmet felt amazing, almost like nothing was on my head with just enough pressure letting me know something was there... in a few weeks I should have a GT on my head.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Im going to look at this helmet tomorrow. I love how my DS Hornet fits, intersted in how this on is.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I was all set to get one, but was turned off by the lack of Snell and got an RF1100 instead.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
NatetheGreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I recently invested in the GT Air and it was well worth the month. I also was originally looking at a Qwest but loved the fit of the GT Air. My only gripe with the helmet is that the more aggressive "fishnet" pattern material on the upper part of the liner can snag hair if you have short hair and the sunshade always looks like it is foggy for some reason. However the pinlock is great!
NatetheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Im going to look at this helmet tomorrow. I love how my DS Hornet fits, intersted in how this on is
I use the DS Hornet too and it's great . Much better than my old one...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGreat View Post
I recently invested in the GT Air and it was well worth the month. I also was originally looking at a Qwest but loved the fit of the GT Air. My only gripe with the helmet is that the more aggressive "fishnet" pattern material on the upper part of the liner can snag hair if you have short hair and the sunshade always looks like it is foggy for some reason. However the pinlock is great!
I had same 'foggy' impression in the store, then noticed it had a removable plastic film. Couldn't be...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
earthroamerxvlt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I bought the GT Air when my X-11 was destroyed and really love the helmet. I noticed the fogginess on the sun shield and it is apparently from something inside of the helmet gassing of when the helmet is fairly new. The fogging is easily wiped off, but comes back if the sunshield is left in the retracted position for a few days. I have now had the helmet about a month and there is much less of a film build up and it takes much longer to accumulate. I think it will pretty much be a non-issue in the very near future.

As far as the lack of Snell rating, I personally don't think of that as a negative. A simplified explanation of a fair amount of research seems to point to the Snell approved standards and testing that require two impacts in the same spot on the helmet result in the lining be rigid enough that the G-Forces of deceleration are actually increased over those helmets meeting DOT or European standards. Apparently the more rapid deceleration can actually contribute to brain injury in an accident. I guess you just have to decide if you think you are likely to take two super hard hits on the exact same spot on the helmet. Make your best guess, pay your money, and take your chances.

John
earthroamerxvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I tried one on the other day. Overall I liked it but it seems like the chin curtain would make it extremely hot in the summer.

I realize the chin curtain would help with wind noise but doesn't it also make the helmet much hotter?
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I tried one on the other day. Overall I liked it but it seems like the chin curtain would make it extremely hot in the summer.

I realize the chin curtain would help with wind noise but doesn't it also make the helmet much hotter?
If it's like the one in my RF1100, it's removable.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I got a GT-Air a couple weeks ago to replace my aging Arai Profile.

See the other thread on it for reviews and other info: First impressions: Shoei GT Air helmet

The chin curtain is removable. Can't comment on hot weather riding yet, we've only had a couple days in the high 60s so far this spring, and the helmet is new to the market this year...
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
I'm 600 miles into my GT-Air... fantastic helmet!

Quiet, controlled air and very comfortable. Highly recommend if it fits your head...

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamerxvlt View Post
I bought the GT Air when my X-11 was destroyed and really love the helmet. I noticed the fogginess on the sun shield and it is apparently from something inside of the helmet gassing of when the helmet is fairly new. The fogging is easily wiped off, but comes back if the sunshield is left in the retracted position for a few days. I have now had the helmet about a month and there is much less of a film build up and it takes much longer to accumulate. I think it will pretty much be a non-issue in the very near future.

As far as the lack of Snell rating, I personally don't think of that as a negative. A simplified explanation of a fair amount of research seems to point to the Snell approved standards and testing that require two impacts in the same spot on the helmet result in the lining be rigid enough that the G-Forces of deceleration are actually increased over those helmets meeting DOT or European standards. Apparently the more rapid deceleration can actually contribute to brain injury in an accident. I guess you just have to decide if you think you are likely to take two super hard hits on the exact same spot on the helmet. Make your best guess, pay your money, and take your chances.

John
That was the case for Snell 2005, but not for 2010.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...0-standard.htm
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,477
I just replaced my X-12 with the GT Air. Very happy with it so far. Before the X-12, I had a X-11 for several years. I've got a Shoei head---long oval.

The GT Air has great ventilation and is still surprisingly quiet. I got it for the vents but have to admit, the sun shield is a nice addition when riding into the sun. Another thing I like is the shield ratcheting is very stiff so it doesn't slam shut at speed like it did on my X-11 & X-12.

Fit is a bit snug compared to other Shoei XL's but mostly because the GT is narrower at the opening. Pulling it on is tighter but once it's on, it feels like the other XL Shoei's I've owned. Now starting to break in nicely as all helmets do as you wear them for awhile.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I was all set to get one, but was turned off by the lack of Snell and got an RF1100 instead.
A couple places (Revzilla for one) seem to indicate that the lack of Snell rating on this helmet is a Snell policy issue. They claim Snell won't certify any helmet with an internal sun-shield for fear it could get broken in a crash and pierce the EPS liner. I don't know if this is true or not, and would love an official answer from Snell or Shoei.

The GT-Air is DOT/ECE certified, and while Snell certification would be nice, I'm not losing any sleep over the lack.
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I’ve put about 3,000 miles on my GT Air and declare to be cool beans. I’ve been riding since 1967 and consequently have owned more than a few helmets. In my experience, the GT Air is the best yet. Bar none.

The lack of wind noise is downright spooky at first. The aerodynamic drag coefficient must be extraordinarily low. It takes so little neck muscle to keep your head straight I forgot to raise my windshield for the first 200 miles. It vents as well as an Arai. (And as most know, the only way to get better venting than an Arai is to stick with a do-rag and sunglasses.) If you really want some breeze you can open the face shield to the first notch and, with tiny adjustments to your head angle, can determine exactly where the air hits your face.

On a recent dash through Utah, running in and out of cloud cover and through canyons where we went from bright to shaded every half mile, I found the flip down sunscreen to be handier than I would have ever imagined. The downside of this arrangement is that a clear face shield does nothing to hold down in-helmet temperatures. Something of a BFD here in southern Arizona. But I can live with it.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote