Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Well, I just discovered these bicycle pants from Levi's of all companies. Maybe they could work for you
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #32
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,010
Its not just me

I'm gonna order up a set of the bmx pants, pricey but vented. Maybe I ll post up a video of me flying off the bike when I get a chance to get back out
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #33
the1andonlyzippo
I'm your huckleberry.

Oddometer: 6,962
My favorite thing about mtn biking is the good looking men (and women) in spandex.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He is yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
It aint dying Im talking about, its living. I doubt it matters where you die, but it matters where you live. -Augustus McCrae
the1andonlyzippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,010
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #35
wd4o
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This right here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
From a practical standpoint I see where you are coming from. I went riding on a pretty hot day last summer and thought, I'll just wear my bids and jersey, it will be WAY more comfortable. I usually wear "baggy" shorts over padded underwear.
I SHREDDED them. Totally ruined a set of $100 bibs..... I did not fall, it was from my hips bouncing off of trees and rock outcroppings. I can't imagined what would have happened if I had fallen.
That said, I would die in pants. We don't get to go down nearly enough to get the airflow needed.
I've recently quit buying baggies. I have enough lightweight liners. I keep tearing up shells, or the shells that are out there have a bunch of pointless pockets and zippers when I have everything in my Camelbak. My boardshorts have triple stitching, vent well, and are pretty abrasion resistant. The only thing pant/short pockets are good for is Clif Bar wrappers.

and this
Quote:
Man up.
You know what's "gay"? being the uber gear-head on the trail wearing too much crap because he's afraid of some scratches. Prepare to be mocked.

You know what's also "gay"? Pushing your bike up every climb. Hopefully, you're riding solo and not irritating your riding buds who are waiting for you, or worse; not jumping out of the way fast enough for others on the trail who are blowing past you while you hike-a-bike.

Or maybe you're a super badass downhiller and strictly ride lift-served trails. If that's the case, carry on.
wd4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #36
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,303
I say screw it, let this fellow get a case of 'crack-itis' and wear some 501's.

There were times when I lived in Philly that I would make the 15 mile ride into the city and not want to walk around the shops in spandex. I did what Hot Stuff suggested in post #10-- wear good cycling shorts and a pair of whatever shorts make you happy over top of them.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #37
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonlyzippo View Post
My favorite thing about mtn biking is the good looking men (and women) in spandex.

Edited the mean comment.

Schlug screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 05:17 AM
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I have a couple of these. The wife likes them on me. Endura Firefly

Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I have a pair of these. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9363 I wear them over lycra bibs in cooler weather. But, they don't breathe well enough for me to wear above about 60 degrees or so.
fourthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,930
The hipster bike culture brought us a ton of cycling pants. and sadly manpries as well.

I've seen plenty of downhill guys riding in jeans over pads.
It's not like the skill hill crowd really works up that much a sweat riding up hill.

Personally a pair of baggies shorts and my knee pads are plenty to keep my skin on my legs when bouncing down the trail.

But I fully understand the dislike of short pants.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #41
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,541
Has anyone suggested lycra shorts a size too small to keep everything "controlled" and a pair of Assless* Chaps?

* by ADV law Chaps must be referred to as Assless.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Could be a good look...
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #43
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
There were times when I lived in Philly that I would make the 15 mile ride into the city and not want to walk around the shops in spandex. I did what Hot Stuff suggested in post #10-- wear good cycling shorts and a pair of whatever shorts make you happy over top of them.
This is basically what I do on a daily basis, 25 mile round trip commute. I have a few pairs of biking underwear and then I wear a pair of hiking pants or shorts over them. If I have to stop at shops, its overall better to be wearing actual clothes.

Generally, one suggestion for good pants is what I use. If you can get them in the USA (I think you can), the brand FjallRaven makes hiking pants out of a cotton weave called G-1000. It is both light and pretty breathable, but tougher than hell. The pair of pants I have I first wore for hiking for 7 years. Then I used them for remodeling, landscaping, and roofing at my home and summer cabin. Finally I started using them for bike pants and have about 2000 miles of biking on them and they are holding up strong. They're expensive, but they work...
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #44
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

http://www.fjallraven.us/pages/g-1000

Not that many stores, it seems, but it is available.

Waxed fabric... interesting throwback.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #45
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,199
Yep, that's the stuff. You can get it with or without the wax. All my hiking pants are unwaxed but I have a down winter jacket that's treated.

It's almost impossible to destroy that gear, and damn we've tried...
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: