Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Got to Nashville ok, doing some experimental packing.

This should work great in the twisties!

Maybe i'll ship the tires to the hotel in CA, the Metzler me880 should last the 3400 miles of this trip. After having a Michelin Pilot Power on it which stuck like glue but lasted less than 3000 miles, this feels as sticky as a bowling ball.

I didn't have any extra lighting so I took the flood lights that were on the back of my truck and mounted tham on a small ss pipe I cut to size. They are rubber with the same size bulbs as most cruiser lightbars.
If I want a more adventury look, I can flip them to be above the bar..

Mitch
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
uuuj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good luck Mitch! I'll see you in OC.
uuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Wolfgang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Victory

I was one of the 500 who owned the Victory Sport Cruiser. Same color, too. It WAS very cool to look at, but I can second everything you have said about it. I ended up hating it and sold it cheap to just be done with it. I went back to riding a Harley, an FXDX - perhaps the best handling big twin Harley made. Alright, back to your trip....
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I was one of the 500 who owned the Victory Sport Cruiser. Same color, too. It WAS very cool to look at, but I can second everything you have said about it. I ended up hating it and sold it cheap to just be done with it. I went back to riding a Harley, an FXDX - perhaps the best handling big twin Harley made. Alright, back to your trip....
I know what you mean, but I will never sell this bike, but I think after this trip, it will do light duty cruising. I may buy a salvage kingpin or Vegas to make into a RTW project, but for now the V-Strom is my iddeal bike.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Started out this morning with a $5 shower at the truck stop, then off to the Loveles Cafe for breakfast.

Then I hit the Natchez Trace parkway which is fantastic for the first 20 miles or so. no cops during the week so I was really enjoying the 75 mph sweepers. i then cut off to head west on some twisties, I just didn't realize that they would be dirt.

Several hours of backroads got me a road called Cardiff Rd. i don't know where it is, but its on my 10 best list. The following pic is the beat I could get since it was mostly forested and this photo doesn't do it justice. Smooth, twisties and sweepers with not a car in sight. About 10 miles al; told but just great.

So now I'm riding on some very rural backroads and i see a turtle crossing the road. Now comming from Brooklyn, this is not a common sight. I decided to turn around to get a photo of the turtle next to my front wheel. The road was tight but there was a driveway entrance so i did the turn, unfortunately the lip of the concrete of the drivewy stopped my forward progress while leaned to the left and with alll the stuff up high on the bike, well...

There is no way I was getting it up on my own, but a toothlwss local came by and helped, his comment "thats a heavy sumbith ainit?"
A more experience RR author would have gotten his photo.

On into Mssissippi for quaint couty seats
and more unpaved stuff

i crossed the Mississippi River and I'm holed up for the night in the Delta Bluesey city of Helena, Arkansas, 369 Miles
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,724
Mazel Tov Brother,Im along for the ride,I fall for critters also,keep up the good postings.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes

8lives screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 07:16 AM
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Damn... found your RR a day or two too late. I would have invited you to stay at my B&B in Mississippi. Hey... maybe on the way back?

Fellow Victory rider. (Well... my 2000 V92c with 1,250 miles mainly sits as art work. Beauty of a bike. No dealer support.)

I'm in! Safe travels!!
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Fellow Victory rider. (Well... my 2000 V92c with 1,250 miles mainly sits as art work. Beauty of a bike. No dealer support.)

I'm in! Safe travels!!
That's what mine is destined for, though it woun't be as pristine as yours probably is..

Getting a late start today as it's raining. More tonight from Oklahoma

Mitch
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
That's what mine is destined for, though it woun't be as pristine as yours probably is..

Getting a late start today as it's raining. More tonight from Oklahoma

Mitch
Yes... raining on the east side of the Big Muddy also. Lots of it. So... travel safe today my Victory ADV brother.

RW
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #25
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 99
Oklahoma

Mitch made it to my house about 7pm CST. Fed him a large steak, he was working to update his RR and lost everything. Think he's headed off to bed.

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)
OkieGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 was all Arkansas, challenging and rewarding. It started out in the Mississippi river delta with long straight roads, boardered by these paddies, rice I guess.

A bit boring but I managed to pick up the pace (insert gratuitous speedo shot here)

After a bit of that I got hungry and saw this place, the Catfish Shack.

lots of pickups in front so it must be good.

The waitress looked like Heather Locklear when she was on T.J. Hooker

i ordered the catfish lunch. when she asked if I wanted River or pond fish, I realized I was far from where waiters pretentiously ask if you want your water sparkling or still. I ordered the river fish with my choice of 2 life shortening fried sides. I chose Cajun fries and hush puppies.

It was as the book "blue Highways" would describe, a 3 calender place.

After lunch it was raining lightly again and I was on backroads. Suddenly the road became dirt. Because of the rain, the road was super slick, the front wheel was plowing and the rear fishtailing. i tried to stay on the gravel but it was higher than the tire tracks so i drifted onto the slippery mud. i had to keep it upright 'cause there wans't a soul around to help me pick it up.

Then it got worse.

i had to get out of there and took another dirt road which led to a paved road, the bike was a bit dirty

As I headed towards Hot Springs the roads got curvier and the eleation rose, interesting signage.

Ya think?

At a gas station, addressing a very particular problem that must be more common than I thought

Hot Springs was full of tourists and cheap trinket shops, think lake George, Gattlinburg or Wisconsin Dells, but my reward was on the other side the Ouachita National Forest.

I was where the green arrow is by a camping spot when I realized i was not going to make it to inmate OkieGman's place in oklahoma that night. i had to ride north to Nimrod lake for cell reception to call him, then back to the campsite. if you have to do a road 3 times, let me tell you, this one to do. Wow!

Thats it for day 2

vicmitch screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 07:50 AM
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

You took your Vic mud bogging??? Or... I guess it took you.

You sir... are a real man! Ride on Mitch, ride on.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 99
He's off

And off he goes! Left OkieGranch a few minutes ago to continue his quest Westward.

It was wonderful meeting you and listening to the stories of an intrepid traveler. I will be following along.

You helped to confirm there are good people in the world and cyberspace.

Enjoyed your stay and company.

Safe Travels

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)

OkieGman screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 04:39 PM
OkieGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Great RR, I'm in !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Lcedelman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good luck on the rest of the trip

Hey Mitch,
Good luck on the rest of the trip.
Keep us posted.
Larry
Lcedelman is offline   Reply With Quote