Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #31
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
I'm really enjoying the writing. More, please.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 636
Un-fun!

Muddy roads are not part of my fun things to do! You did good though.....thanks for the excitement!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #33
hhckb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Excellent journal....One question; Where is one supposed to spit their seeds?
Ride on brother!!!
hhckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
DAy 3.

I've been away from WiFi for a few days so first, I missed the tornado that went through Oklahoma and now I;ll try to catch up.

Left the campsite to do the 3rd run down the mountain and it just doesn't get old. Took a small detour and found more dirt, and a submission for "Your bike in front of an old structure" thread

Then I spent the next few hours riding up and down the fantastic roads in the Ozark National Forest, every one was a 10! Perfect road surfaces and good visability made quick work out of the curves.

Comming out of one curve, I felt the rear tire slip a bit so I slowed down to check it out and when I downshifted my foot slipped on the shifter. I looked down and there was oil everywhere and I was in the middle of nowhere. The oil level was down one quart, but was leaking profusely.

I couldn't see where because it was dripping from too many places. The sign at the next junktion said Y city 6 miles to the left, west where I was heading, someplace else 10 miles to the east, So Y City it is.

Having the word "city" in its name led me to expect a conglomeration of businesse and residences, or at least more that a gas station. As I entered the gas station there were some Harley riders there, they looked at me and started laughing. Maybe they couldn't figure out why I was wearing a large round hard hat. They left and I got some paper towels clean off the oil to find the leak. Then 2 guys on Victory Visions rode in. One said "That's an unusual sight, a Victory broken down" Accurate, though hardly helpful.

Turns out it was leaking from the plastic part of the oil cooler, not fixable. By now there was no oil showing on the dipstick, but the oil pressure light hadn't come on, and the nearest town with shops was Mena, AR, 25 miles west. i bought a gallon of Rotella, threw it in and was off to Mena.

i came to this place, the only bike shop open.

They said they could run a line to bypass the cooler, I said no, Victorys are oil and air cooled, like BMWs. they said "BMW makes motorcycles?"
I suggested they get a transmission cooler for a car and cut the tubes and splice that in. This is the result

They were very nice and didn't rip me off, though they could have.

Back to more fantasticly winding roads in Arkansas and then on the Oklahoma Ozarks when will these Exciting roads ever end. Soon enough. But there were still curves to carve, but unfortunately, no gas stations within 20 miles when my low fuel light came on. When I rolled to a stop on a small road by a farm, this guy came motoring by and asked if he could help me,
He went back to his farm and got me a little more than a gallon of gas. i showed him my route and he saqid there was no gas station for over 40 miles that way, but I could take Indian Way 25 miles to Telahema, OK and fill up there. i offered him money but he refused, saying he liked to help people. This was the first person i met in Oklahoma and it was a good omen.

Indian Way is an insane road over some mountains. There is a sign that reads "Biker Killing Curves Ahaed" I tried to turn around to get a pic but there was no way to turn around for miles.

A couple of hours later I arrived at my destination, ther home of inmate OkieGman. Wes and his family put out the red carpet for me as this was his first time hosting from Tent space and my first time using it. we had a great steak dinner and entertaining conversations, even a ping pong game.

Wes and his wonderful family are the rewards one gets from travel and belonging to a community like ADVrider. His kids are already on the way to becoming inmates

End of Day 3
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"Well I never been to heaven But I've been to Oklahoma"

Day4 sunday started with Cinnimon Rolls with Wes and the family. packed up and said my goodbyes, headed out a bit late in the day.

the area is full of lakes and looks a bit like parts of Minnesota, but warmer. The roads became straight and I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. I passed a place called Braum's which is a local chain of burger and is cream places. There were some bikes in the lot so I pulled in. There were some HDs, a Victory Vegas and a BMW K1200R. All but the Victory were there for a meeting of the Christian Bikers. they invited me in but i politely said it wasn't my thing. The Victory guy came and sat down and we chatted while i drank my cappaccino malted. He got the bike with only 3k miles on it for just $5,000. What a steal. he loves it and commutes 100 miles a day on it.

I find that when I travel with even one other person, that I feel much more comfortable instigationg conversations with strangers. With some notable exceptions, this trip has been, so far, a somewhat solitary endevor. The 2 times that I camped in campgrounds, I was the only one there. My mom called me to ask why there were no photos of me, and I told her there was no one to take them. it's also because I left the manual for this new camera in TN and I don't know how to work the time delay. Anyway, I'm going to startforcing myself to engage others in conversation and see how it goes. Enough introspection.

I was primarilly riding west on Hwy 9 and I stopped in Seminole, named after the Indian tribe that resides there.Now you may be thinking; arn't the Seminoles those guys in the Florida Everglades who wrestle alligators? What the hell are they doing in Oklahoma? I don't know, ask Andrew Jackson. i stopped here.

and wandered through the sculpture garden with busts of famous indians with short biographies. I didn't know that Willl Rogers was Cherokee.

more straight roads, temp rising

I guess there are no mad dogs or Englishmen in this town

More straight roads, semi ghost towns. looking right:

Looking left

or is it the other way round?

then, can it be, hills!

Curves!

A turn off to a state park is wlecome

Heres the view from the campground

Wildlife

Suicide Bomber

Showers and flush toilets, Perfect end to the day

Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Let's see so far... mud boggin, oil cooler break down, helpful gas can wielding farmer guy and an ADV inmate with a welcome mat?

Sounds like adventure to me! Ride Mitch ride.
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 started out nice and cool and i rode to a small town with a big name, Magnum, for breakfast. this place was open at 9:30

so I went in

Its been there since 1928 and looks like it. Good breakfast for $3.50

Belly full I got on that long lonesome highway

in the last town in OK, Hollis, I saw this old school gas station, complete with 1957 Lincoln .

Down Texas back roads through the town of Turkey, home of Bob Wills, past Lakeview, which had neither a lake nor a view and on to Memphis, TX to a cheap motel with free WiFi and I'm up to date

Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Great RR, great pics, and good thinking on using a transmission oil cooler, keep it coming, and be safe.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #39
Clansters
Tour Aegea

Oddometer: 205
At a gas station, addressing a very particular problem that must be more common than I thought

I heard about pads but not sunflower seeds That's a new one.
Good luck with your trip.
Clansters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #40
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,601
I hope the the big Tornado in Oklahoma didn't get your people you stayed with,keep riding the report is going good.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #41
OctaneC8H18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey Mitch,

Glad to see you finally found some paved roads. At the motel, your bike looks cleaner than I have ever seen it. Did the Harley dealer detail it for you?

Ride Safe.

Alan
OctaneC8H18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I hope the the big Tornado in Oklahoma didn't get your people you stayed with,keep riding the report is going good.
The tornado was well west of their location. Strangely, I did not find out about it till last night,
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #43
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
I like your style! thanks for taking me with you via your RR.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #44
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneC8H18 View Post
Hey Mitch,

Glad to see you finally found some paved roads. At the motel, your bike looks cleaner than I have ever seen it. Did the Harley dealer detail it for you?

Ride Safe.

Alan
No he did lend me a rag to wipe off the excess oil. Lots of the mud dried up and fell off. Don't worry, I didn't wash it. Looks like another late start today.

Mitch
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #45
OkieGman
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
No, we're fine. The tornado Sunday night did uproot all the trees in my mother's yard and took a section of her roof in Edmond, but we're fine just lots of rain.

I'm glad Mitch made it out safely to continue his ride.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2005 BMW R1200GS (Limey - yes it's lime green)
2007 Honda XR230R (x2 - for wifey and I)
OkieGman is online now   Reply With Quote