Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
No False Enthusiasm OP
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,152
Radials vs Biased Ply...

What are the pro's and con's of each?

Specifically, on a DL650 and on a Bonny SE (mag wheeled).

Thanks,

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,853
Radials are supposed to last longer, ride better, handle better, make less noise. Bias tires can be cheaper, and usually represent 'older' technology of any given tire manufacturers line up, but are still quite good and can often be found with higher weight limits due to the construction differences between the two. Radial tires typically need a wider rim to perform optimally than bias tires.

I'd personally buy whatever fits the rim at a price and performance point that you want and roll with it, with a preference towards radials for newer bikes with wider rims and bias ply for older bikes with narrower rims and chassis designed for bias tires.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
What he said.

Not sure if it's true on all BP tires but many tend to have straight grooves in the center of the front tread. Makes the bike track on grooved slab. Not a huge deal but, at least to me, annoying.

When I replaced the BP tires only K1100LT with radials (now running PR2s with a wider than stock 3.5" rear from a K1100RS) it made a significant improvement in handling, most notably on high speed sweepers.

Last summer I went from BPs to radials on my K75. Much better.

Avon is the only company that makes a 140/80-17 rear radial (Azaro AV46) to fit a 3" rear rim but it's a good tire that I'm happy with. (110/80-18 BT-023 on the front. Cheaper than a PR2 and seems to perform just as well.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
No False Enthusiasm OP
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,152
Thanks for both of these postings...

I've put almost 12,000 miles on RoadAttack (front) and TrailAttack (rear) radials on my 2009 Bonnie SE. Am in the process of replacing them with the "2" versions, now available.

Although the Bonneville has 17 inch alloy rims, the narrow wheels limit tire selection.

Given my experience in auto/truck tires, I thought radials would be best for my use, unless someone could convince me of some advantage with biased ply. BP my have stronger sidewalls than radials, but I've found no evidence of that.

skierd... It's about time for us to read of another of your epic rides. Please post up...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote