User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
Boot Integrity after Accident...

I was recently involved in a get-off on my F800 where I fractured my leg quite badly.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881550

At the time, I was wearing a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex Boots which certainly saved me from more injury. Had I not been wearing them, I would anticipate at least a compound fracture, with the potential for serious neuro vascular damage to my lower leg.

The Medics cut my left boot off by making a cut in the inner membrane of the boot. Now, I feel that this is repairable and they said at the time it was unavoidable even though I begged them NOT to cut my boot.

I'm wondering if an accident like I had could lead to a degradation in the structural integrity of the boot? We always say that replacement of a helmet is necessary after a get-off, but is it the same with a pair of boots?

With being not able to work currently and looking to ride again, I don't know if I'll be able to afford another $500 for a replacement pair of Sidi's.

Does the collective have any advice?
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Maybe email Sidi some pics of the boot? Ask if it can be repaired and structural integrity?? I would think the EMT's are gonna get the boot off somehow or at least enough of it to see what they are dealing with... At least that's what they did to my cousin a couple of weeks ago when he went down in a curve and broke his tibia and fibula...

I haven't read the story behind your get off yet but if you would be so kinda as to tell the speed if not mentioned in the other thread...
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
My speed with my get off was around 25mph. I hit a soft spot in the trail, over corrected and broke my tib fib when I tried to dab it. The bike was sliding so I had a spiral type fracture. X-Ray pics are in the other thread.

C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Thanks for the info. Cuz was going about the same speed.... Had a little spiral to his break also...

Heal up and good luck.
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
I wouldn't repair that boot after its been cut open but in general a boot will still provide useful protection if it hasn't worn through- there' s no crushable EPs liner like a helmet.

It's not unusual for whatever waterproof membrane to fail though.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote