Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Being a firefighter, you should already be aware of the Catoma firefighter tents. I use a Falcon, which would probably be a little tight for you but a friend has another model that is larger & he can stand up in it. You might be close,but still better than most tents that you can carry on a bike.

Take a look at those....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,839
Regarding tents for "taller people" - most tent makers think that a tent for the average person only needs to be 200cm long or just slightly longer. This is completely ridiculous as most tents have sloped walls, that leave you only 180cm (6') or so to work with unless you want to hit the tent wall all the time.

We have a MSR HubbaHubba which is fairly okay for motorcycle trips for one person. For two it's even tight when backpacking - it's absolutely frigging ridiculous to say that this is a two person tent. It's a 1.5 person tent for good weather.

We also have a Hilleberg Keron 3 for two person bike camping, which is an absolutely awesome tent with only two downsides: super expensive and not free standing. But 4 tent pegs is all that's needed to set it up for normal weather, like this (inside is full height over 86 inches inside length and 63 inches width):

You can use 18 pegs if the shit hits the fan - or a storm the campground. I have waited out thunderstorms with REALLY high winds in that thing. Unfortunately often with additional people inside because their POS "6 person free standing full height tent" was ripped apart within about 2 minutes of real wind coming up. The Keron held up without even blinking. When looking at the forecast we had put all tent stakes in and strapped it down tight, wasn't even thinking about it during the storm - we were cozy and dry inside.

I have done camping with people in those "house replacement tents", the large ones for people who can't put their pants on while sitting on the ground ... But have seen too many bad experiences from friends seeking shelter in my tent after being hit by bad weather.

My recommendation would be a MSR MothaHubba or something of that size. Forget the standing up thing - get a motel room if you need that. Standing room in a tent compromises the stability a lot because you create large "sails" for the wind to attack you, long poles bend and break much easier, it's not fun anymore.

The best compromise is a tent that comfortably sleeps the number of people you're planning for (# of people x ~27 inches width and calculate the length based on how vertical the walls are - plan for 85 inches or more) + a nice and large tarp that you can take down easily when high wind comes up but gives all the standing and moving around room anybody needs. Get dressed there. The world will survive seeing you (I hope ... )
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 110
Another Eureka

I have had the Eureka Timberline 2 man and 4 man tents. I liked them both. Too heavy for backpacking, but fine for motorcycle camping. Once you get the sequence right, they are super easy to set up and take down. Also easy to pick up and move around. The 4 man is pretty spacious.
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Here ya go.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
REI Half Dome 2 Plus works for me (6'3"), my wife (5'8") and two 40 lb cattle dogs when we go backpacking. Since the walls are so vertical, you can seat an adult in each corner for a game of cards. It will be snug, but doable. Probably not the best tent ever, but it is about 1/5 the cost of a Hilleberg! KLR budget, after all. Wait for an REI sale or coupon and they can be had for under $150 IIRC. Maybe soon?

If you can ride motorcycle, you can learn to put your pants on while sitting down. Maybe try the half dome 3 for you & the boys?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 520
I use the Redverz. I got it because I got tired of crawling in and out of the tent in the middle of the night when I need to pee.

Fits in a 50 ltr dry bag on the back seat. Tall enough to stand in, lots of room for gear, cloths, and even camp chairs and a folding table. Sets up and folds in about 10 min. And even has room for the bike.

Only draw back is that it is not a stand alone. You must use stakes to hold it up.

Other than that, it's perfect.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
IMHO size isn't ever the issue it's weight. I have some kick ass car camping tents that I can stand up and damn near walk around in and are easy to set up but they weigh 20+ pounds. I could easily strap them to the bike bit the weight would piss me off.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #23
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,427
on longer trips, we take a eureka mtn pass 4, I travel 2 up, and the extra room is nice. we usually set up a base camp in one area for 2 or 3 days, explore that area with the bike empty, then load back up and move on.
if we are on the type of trip that requires constantly moving each day, we take a smaller 2 person tent, just because it's easier to set up and take down. the extra weight of the 4 man isn't much, maybe a couple pounds, so that's not an issue with me. I do miss the 4 person when we don't have it though.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #24
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
If price isn't an issue, I recommend mountain hard wear 3.1 and the 4. I work and live in a rain forest in the remote regions of Alaska and these work great for my staff, clients and students. You will have plenty of room with your body type. They are über hardcore tents.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
IMHO size isn't ever the issue it's weight. I have some kick ass car camping tents that I can stand up and damn near walk around in and are easy to set up but they weigh 20+ pounds. I could easily strap them to the bike bit the weight would piss me off.
My tent is about 15#, the 12 man one I listed and pictured above. Add the air mattress, the camp chair and a canopy, along with my CPAP and battery, and I am around 45 pounds before adding the rest of the usual gear. On the BMW I barely notice.

Jim

PS I weight 240#!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Its been mentioned already,and since you said you camp in the wind a lot, its worth saying again. Wind + tall tent = no sleep. Look for a tent with more vertical sidewalls if you need more room. If freestanding, make sure it uses more than 2 aluminum poles. 4 is ideal.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2012 Yamaha WR250R
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #27
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
If price isn't an issue, I recommend mountain hard wear 3.1 and the 4. I work and live in a rain forest in the remote regions of Alaska and these work great for my staff, clients and students. You will have plenty of room with your body type. They are über hardcore tents.
You mean the Trango 3.1 and 4? They look cool but I wouldn't want to set them up when it's raining. They are in the same price range as the Hilleberg tents, maybe slightly less, but the downside is that you can't pitch the outer tent first.

So far it happened only twice that it was raining while I was pitching my tent, but both times I was super happy that I could pitch the outer tent and then go inside and just attach the inner one which would stay completely dry while setting it up.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Redverz in the wind...

Looks ok to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0RlXKwdPVY

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote