Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
troidus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Yeah, that's pretty bad. I've never heard of 2x2 interior walls except in a mobile home. I do see 2x3 interior walls, but that's mostly on old houses where a 2x3 wall with plaster on each side ends up as thick as a modern 2x4 wall. I don't really work with recent construction much because most of the houses in my area are 1910-1940s.

good luck with it.
Oh, this one was built in '59, so not that recent. There's a plaque in the utility closet touting some new construction technique, and it's stamped with a serial number.

What they did was build the shell, then sheetrocked the ceiling and perimeter walls, then they built the interior walls and sheetrocked them separately. The interior walls appear to be nailed upward through the top plate and ceiling sheetrock into the joists and horizontally into studs if they intersect with an outside wall. It's seriously funky construction and has been a pain every time I've had to repair something.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Oh, this one was built in '59, so not that recent. There's a plaque in the utility closet touting some new construction technique, and it's stamped with a serial number.

What they did was build the shell, then sheetrocked the ceiling and perimeter walls, then they built the interior walls and sheetrocked them separately. The interior walls appear to be nailed upward through the top plate and ceiling sheetrock into the joists and horizontally into studs if they intersect with an outside wall. It's seriously funky construction and has been a pain every time I've had to repair something.

Sounds like a dream for a full remodel though, want to move a wall? just push it over 2 feet!
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
troidus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Sounds like a dream for a full remodel though, want to move a wall? just push it over 2 feet!
Pretty much. There is a utility chase between the kitchen and bath that is more or less fixed, and being on a slab the tub and toilet can't really move, but other than that, do what you want.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Pretty much. There is a utility chase between the kitchen and bath that is more or less fixed, and being on a slab the tub and toilet can't really move, but other than that, do what you want.
Yep, I know all about the pains of a slab floor when it comes to the bathrooms, mine ads a twist however. My house was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation when they built the Glen Canyon Dam here, all of the piping runs through the slab, the exterior walls are Block and fill. The fill and the slab both were done using concrete that was mixed for the Dam...
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote