Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #61
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Still waiting on a answer to my question regarding availability of a new one liter motorcycle for $6800 retail. This trike is much more costly to build than a two wheel motorcycle. Think about it?

“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum
whats the question? How can they sell a 1ltr car for half the price? Well, the technology that goes into a 1ltr SUPER bike is far more advanced. And maybe they are charging to much for the bike...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #62
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
I see you did read the terms and conditions of the $100 deposit?

"This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date."

You are buying a t shirt.
yep, thats why I didn't put down a deposit. I have enough Tshirts, I need 84 MPG.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #63
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
I think they can come close to the 84 MPGS, but I have to say the $6800 seems aggressive.
I owned one of the first 3 cyl 1L chevy sprints.
It was very bare bones and very cheap......and if I remember correctly it cost around $5400 back in the mid 80's.
I think that relates to around $12000 today.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #64
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
and if I remember correctly it cost around $5400 back in the mid 80's.
I think that relates to around $12000 today.
It was also built by the largest automobile manufacturer on the planet while sourcing parts in the largest quantities allowing for the lowest prices. I'm also very doubtful that they will come in for under $10k.

That being said, there was an interview with the CEO of Elio, and he said that he was able to keep prices down from suppliers by bringing everyone into the same room for negotiations.

If I recall correctly, his example was that if there was an issue with the airbag, the steering wheel guy was right there to make an adjustment. Rather then months of back and fourth through a middle man to resolve the issue. It makes sense, but I'm not in the industry, so maybe it's all smoke and mirrors.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #65
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,372
Quote:
Still waiting on a answer to my question regarding availability of a new one liter motorcycle for $6800 retail. This trike is much more costly to build than a two wheel motorcycle. Think about it?

“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum
Not really. The Elio isn't built for performance. It really is old tech, and old design, dressed up modern. 84mpg's isn't hard when you keep the the gearing high, the HP low, and the overall weight down. A liter bike is made to a performance standard, the Elio simply isn't.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #66
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Really wish the best for these guys. Full production vechile that is well regarded by the general public while keeping to the price tag, at least close.

My dr350 with tall gears doing fireroads will yeild 70~mpg. 84mpg WOW. Even 60, 50 would be great.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #67
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
whats the question? How can they sell a 1ltr car for half the price? Well, the technology that goes into a 1ltr SUPER bike is far more advanced. And maybe they are charging to much for the bike...
I not asking for a one liter super bike , just any one liter motorcycle. OK then what new one liter car for $6800 retail in the USA? Dream on 100mpg.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #68
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Not really. The Elio isn't built for performance. It really is old tech, and old design, dressed up modern. 84mpg's isn't hard when you keep the the gearing high, the HP low, and the overall weight down. A liter bike is made to a performance standard, the Elio simply isn't.
Low tech, low performance????
From http://www.eliomotors.com/my-strengths/
"Power in Numbers
An inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled, automotive engine.

Fast Facts
Top speed is in excess of 100 MPH, and the 0-60 speed is under 9.6 seconds. So it’s not exotic sports car fast, but it’s not slow, either. And while a gas-guzzling muscle car might pass you, no one will pass gas stations like you.

Uncommon Standards
When you own an Elio, you’re not just a customer, you’re part of a family. So we’re not going to lure you in with that $6,800 low price, only to mention things like A/C and an AM/FM radio are extra. They’re not. You get those items plus heater, defrost, the three airbags, power windows and door lock, seat belts, tempered glass, and windshield wiper at no extra cost."

There ain't no way for $6800 retail. Dream on.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #69
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Dream on 100mpg.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #70
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,372
Yep. Low performance. Hell, even a Tiger 800 dishes out more horsepower out of a triple, and that is with 200cc less.

To understand a $6800 pricepoint, you have to take yourself out of the Detroit mindset. America is the most inefficient manufacturer of vehicles in the world. Most of this is due to the cost associated with the employee. (Not trying to turn this into CSM.) As such, you've seen most new manufacturers in the US shift production to a non-union South. Mercedes, BMW, VW, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and others have figured this out. The Elio is no different, with production in Shreveport. There is plenty of cheap labor to be had down there, and it is easy to move parts in and out.

I've spent most of my adult life living OCONUS. I can go just about anywhere in the world and buy a brand new car at that $6800 pricepoint. And I'm talking a 4-seat/4-door car, not a 2-seat reverse trike. Hell, Ford offers a vehicle at that pricepoint in virtually every market internationally. The only exceptions being where they traditionally wouldn't sell, like the UK, Australia, and some parts of Europe. America would fit that description too, but with the success of the Smart car in the US, I think America might be ripe for a change. The share of the US market owned by sub-compacts is growing. Gas isn't getting any cheaper, and the economy as a whole still sucks.

I look at something like this, and I realize that I'm a prime target demographic for them. I'm a mid-30's guy with a fleet of motorcycles, a gas-guzzling Jeep, and recently added a somewhat gas sipping Kia. Buying a Kia is something I never would have seen myself doing 5 years ago. However, times have changed, and I've changed my outlook. With the economy in the tank, and gas prices high, I've realized that I've got to cut somewhere. I'm not moving closer to work, so I need to make it cheaper to commute. This fossil-fuel burning zealot would surely be interested in an Elio.

Now, the hopes of him getting a 5-star crash rating....well....I'd say that is definitely a pipe dream.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #71
davet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Having worked in the auto industry for 30 years, I find the discussion of this vehicle very interesting. The majority of a vehicle's cost is materials and components, approx. 85%. Obviously assembly labor cost influences the price but it is not as big a factor as most people think. If all the components of the vehicle come from low labor cost countries and it is only assembled here, they may have a chance to hit the $6800 target. Also, just a comment for Riding Donkeys, American auto manufacturers are not inefficient in their use of labor, but labor does cost more here than in many other countries.
davet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #72
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

"America would fit that description too, but with the success of the Smart car in the US, I think America might be ripe for a change. "

"The Smart ForTwo, a diminutive two-seater built by Daimler AG, simply never met sales expectations, reaching about 45,000 cars sold over a three-year period, but at a declining rate. "It had a rip-roaring start," said Tony Pordon, senior vice president for the Bloomfield Hills, Michigan company. "The last two years have been difficult."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/18/auto...tune/index.htm
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #73
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Looks a lot like the HMV Freeway from the early 80s or the Messershmitt from the 50s.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #74
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
Looks a lot like the HMV Freeway from the early 80s or the Messershmitt from the 50s.
Also like a Squared off Corbin Sparrow. Too bad they didn't improve that and keep it going.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #75
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
I have seen a few relate the looks of this to the Corbin Sparrow.
I just don't see it.
The Sparrow was comical in its proportions and style.

The Eilo to me almost has a lotus super 7 look about it.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 02:24 PM
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote