Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #91
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
thats good, cus you can't have it.
It may be possible to extract "deposits" from our trusting American cousins, but let them try the same thing over this side of the pond and see how they fare.

Does anyone remember the DeLorean saga? This is no different.
There are no cars in any volume, there never were and never would have been.
There was a very clever man who managed to dupe a lot of people, including the British Government.
Don't be fooled kids, you can't get something for nothing.

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #92
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
There are a lot of people opening themselves up for a huge case of foot in mouth disease.

I talked to a representative from Elio, in person, about the viability of the car. I was very much in the "ain't gunna happen" camp before that conversation.

With that said, I work in manufacturing and know what it takes to build stuff. While most of the car is already manufactured by someone else, there is still the body and frame, and then final assembly that will be the deciding factor on the outcome of the car.

Will it come in at under $7k? Maybe. They are a year from production, so it could change.
Will it get 84mpg? I think it will. If you don't, then show me your engineering degree and I'll believe you.

I'm still reserving final judgment. Call it 30% doubt!
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #93
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
What makes me believe there will be no cars.

The agreement that one must sign to place a deposit. Which isn't actually a deposit and you have zero chance of getting back if a car doesn't arrive. Even in 20 years time and at any price. No genuine company would act like this.

The extremely optimistic pricing, given the standard of the "press" car. Nobody can build that car for that sort of money, I don't care who they are and where they build it.

I'm less bothered about 80mpg. That's possible, but of course, like all mpg claims by manufacturers, it's in an ideal world.

But mostly, it's the marketing tactics. They may as well wear sandwich boards bearing the legend "Suckers, form a queue".

I am qualified to speak on this subject btw, i'm not just shooting the breeze.

I would urge anyone interested to have a serious think before giving this company any money.

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #94
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wayward View Post
What makes me believe there will be no cars.

The agreement that one must sign to place a deposit. Which isn't actually a deposit and you have zero chance of getting back if a car doesn't arrive. Even in 20 years time and at any price. No genuine company would act like this.

The extremely optimistic pricing, given the standard of the "press" car. Nobody can build that car for that sort of money, I don't care who they are and where they build it.

I'm less bothered about 80mpg. That's possible, but of course, like all mpg claims by manufacturers, it's in an ideal world.

But mostly, it's the marketing tactics. They may as well wear sandwich boards bearing the legend "Suckers, form a queue".

I am qualified to speak on this subject btw, i'm not just shooting the breeze.

I would urge anyone interested to have a serious think before giving this company any money.
I'm with you! I wouldn't give them a freaking nickle before I see a finished product. And their "buy in" does seem sketchy as hell.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #95
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wayward View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
I'm with you! I wouldn't give them a freaking nickle before I see a finished product.
Oh, hell no, I aint coughing up any deposit! When I can see the car, sit in it, take it for a test drive AND buy it the same day, I will. But deposit? nope.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #96
hardybaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Elio

Eilo will be doing their display in Katy, Texas this Thursday and Friday. As was said, I'll be keeping my money in my pocket till the machines start flowing.
hardybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #97
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybaker View Post
Eilo will be doing their display in Katy, Texas this Thursday and Friday. As was said, I'll be keeping my money in my pocket till the machines start flowing.
I said the same thing on their Bookface page when they posted blurry pictures of the "plant" in LA. It looked more like a warehouse to me.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #98
hsblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
If I was going to get a 3 wheeler it would have to be a Messerschmitt Kabinenroller
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/ph...e-99375-6.html
Lot's of youtube vid's. No two sound alike and most of them seem to run on smoke.
Henry
hsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #99
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,471
Well, I guess I'm the first NPR listener to get to the keyboard , or just the only NPR listener ?
NPR had a nice segment about the Elio Trike today. They said that 2 dozen had been delivered to the Fed.s for crash and safety tests.
They mentioned that they were built in Shreeveport , La. and had the price still pegged at $6800. Also stated was the 80 mpg figure along with a novel financing method .
Buyers , if they chose to finance will get a credit card loaded with $200 gas money. And of course the price of the trike will be loaded into the negative column as well.
Any Louisianna inmates out there with better info ?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #100
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Well, I guess I'm the first NPR listener to get to the keyboard , or just the only NPR listener ?
NPR had a nice segment about the Elio Trike today. They said that 2 dozen had been delivered to the Fed.s for crash and safety tests.
They mentioned that they were built in Shreeveport , La. and had the price still pegged at $6800. Also stated was the 80 mpg figure along with a novel financing method .
Buyers , if they chose to finance will get a credit card loaded with $200 gas money. And of course the price of the trike will be loaded into the negative column as well.
Sounds like they are getting closer. I would love to buy one of these. Just waiting for them to show up at a dealer.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #101
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,018
Well....That is interesting. Guess I better start saving my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #102
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
"two dozen delivered to feds for crash testing"?, Really?
You have to crash test a motorcycle?
It is a three wheeled motorcycle.
I still have some shares for sell in a bridge in NY. PM me.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #103
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"two dozen delivered to feds for crash testing"?, Really?
You have to crash test a motorcycle?
It is a three wheeled motorcycle.
I still have some shares for sell in a bridge in NY. PM me.
If they sell it as a motorcycle, you'll have to have an endorsement to drive it. A car will require no special endorsement. Can-Am is able to skirt the MC license in only a few states.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,413
I hope it makes it. Kind of a cool, VW Bugesque look to it.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #105
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
If they sell it as a motorcycle, you'll have to have an endorsement to drive it. A car will require no special endorsement. Can-Am is able to skirt the MC license in only a few states.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Federal regulation define the Elio as a motorcycle.
"Motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of
the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground."
It will have to be sold as a motorcycle. That is why the "They said that 2 dozen had been delivered to the Fed.s for crash and safety tests." statement was BS.

Individual states can waiver the requirements of a two wheel motorcycle endorsement for a trike.

For example Florida has a three wheel only restriction which is satisfied by the S/TEP course which I took for sidecar training. Since I already had a motorcycle M endorsement which also includes trikes and side cars I didn't want the three wheel only S restriction.
"Those who pass the Motorcycle S/TEP course will have an "S" restriction on their license. The S Restriction indicates that the person only has permission to operate a three wheeled motorcycle."

Your state is probably different.

I think Alabama is the only state that does not require a motorcycle endorsement. You can get an M endorsement in Alabama but it is not required when operating a motorcycle in Alabama however you need a M endorsement in all the other states.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote