Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Faceplant on my commute this morning (pics)

Fortunately that emergency braking practice has paid off. Though I worry about this intersection every morning, so I was only traveling maybe 25 mph.

T intersection, I was traveling straight along the top of the T, a road Ts into it from the right. The road from the right has a stop sign. My road doesn't.

Lots of on-coming traffic for me. Red pickup truck waiting to turn left out of the T. Looking right, never looks back left before he starts to go. I saw him start to creep from a distance and slowed down, but then he stopped, so I maintained my speed (approximately 25 mph). At the last minute as I approach him he must have seen a break in oncoming traffic and tried to go for it. I braked hard and swerved as best I could. You'll see in the picutres I ended up on the double yellow. Couldn't go any farther around him due to oncoming traffic.

He had a bull bar on the front of his truck... I think that's what caught my right fairing and the front of my right crash bar. The RAM handlebar mount that I had on my crash bar brushed his front bumper, leaving the only mark on his truck and getting spun around and punching into the fairing. Too bad I didn't have the camera on the mount this morning, would have made epic video.

I came to a stop after contact and put my feet down as the bike fell over to its left side. I never hit the ground, managed to stay on my feet. Grabbed my phone and immediately took pictures of the scene.

The police came and wrote a report. I thought I was in luck when the officer got out of the car and had a motorcycle unit patch on his shoulder. Unfortunately, though the driver admitted to being at fault he wasn't cited for running the stop sign.

The driver wanted to settle it without involving the police. I worried he was uninsured or unlicensed or something, so I kept refusing. The bidding was up to $2,000 by the time the cops got there.

Anyway, here's the pictures:

He already started backing up before I got this shot:

Damage to the bike:

A bolt holding the crash bar sheered off, too. And I have a scrape on my left pannier.

The truck:
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,096
That is what happends when people are in a hurry.
Glad you are ok, and smart move slowing down!
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Looking at the pics, there's a black mark there leading up to the crash scene. I don't recall either wheels locking, so maybe that's just a friction mark from being on the very edge of lock? It also seems pretty long for as slow as I was going, but if that is indeed from me you can see what how close I was when he decided to go (I would have started braking right at the beginning of the mark).
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
If you're going to have it happen, might as well ride as prudently as possible in order to minimize damage. You did and you're going to be ok...so good on you.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Damn! Close call. Glad you are ok. looks to me like the bar on the front of his truck is shifted to the right a bit, it looks off center to me but could just be the angle.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Just came back from a meeting with the insurance estimator. Looks like at least the right side fairing and the radiator... I didn't take the fairing off to see what else behind it was damaged. Also, the Givi crash bars and the left side Micatech Pannier. I looked up the prices and wrote down the manufacturer and model number of those and had them ready for him. He seemed pretty appreciative of that. The pannier just has some scratches in the corner, but since it's powder-coated aluminum with a hammer finish, he's going to credit me for the cost of a replacement pannier.

Sometime after work this week I'll put the bike up on the lift and take the plastics off and see what else I can find that's broken. He said if I email him part numbers and such he'd add it to the claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
If you're going to have it happen, might as well ride as prudently as possible in order to minimize damage. You did and you're going to be ok...so good on you.
Exactly. The EMTs that showed up were impressed that I was in all the gear. They took one look at me and said "Well, at least you're dressed for this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
Damn! Close call. Glad you are ok. looks to me like the bar on the front of his truck is shifted to the right a bit, it looks off center to me but could just be the angle.
It looks like it is... I didn't look that closely... wasn't too worried about his truck. Here's another shot:
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Glad you came out of it ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Unfortunately, though the driver admitted to being at fault he wasn't cited for running the stop sign.
I hope he at least got 'failure to yield'.
Steigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Bright red bike with dual headlights running, big large panniers...and still, he "didn't see you".

Even though I can understand the "dynamics" behind the SMIDSY kind of bullshit, the day they will start PAYING ATTENTION, I'm sure they will see us. Because they have no reasons otherwise.

Glad you're ok mate! You did very good there.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steigs View Post

I hope he at least got 'failure to yield'.

No citation. I was a little upset about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Bright red bike with dual headlights running, big large panniers...and still, he "didn't see you".

Even though I can understand the "dynamics" behind the SMIDSY kind of bullshit, the day they will start PAYING ATTENTION, I'm sure they will see us. Because they have no reasons otherwise.

Glad you're ok mate! You did very good there.
Not to mention white helmet, as well. There was a lot of on-coming traffic for me, so what likely happened is he was looking right the whole time and never bothered looking left before he started to go.

I'm glad I'm okay, too. Did everything I could, I think. I road past the scene on the way to the insurance adjuster... that black streak of rubber is much more visible in the pictures than it is on the road. I didn't even notice it at the time of the crash. It wasn't until I saw the pictures that I saw it. I wouldn't have seen it just riding by unless I was looking for it, either.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,096
The guy pulls out in front of you and gets no ticket???
If you did that, you would likely get a fist full of tickets.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,681
You need to get ahold of that PO's superior, have his badge number ready and explain the situation. That guy NEEDS the points and the fine.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,215
See, trail riding in NH is safer

Good for doing the right thing and not getting hurt.

I get worried every time I ride on Storrow Drive as you come from Cambridge toward Downtown. Even if they see me, they don't yield anyway.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,042
Quote:
Lots of on-coming traffic for me. Red pickup truck waiting to turn left out of the T. Looking right, never looks back left before he starts to go. I saw him start to creep from a distance and slowed down, but then he stopped, so I maintained my speed (approximately 25 mph). At the last minute as I approach him he must have seen a break in oncoming traffic and tried to go for it.
My Spidey Sense would have compelled me to start laying into the horn as he was creeping... he was setting up to jump at the last minute (as he did).

--Bill
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
yup its off center, which means the impact was great enough to either A) bend his cheap POS fleaby brush bster or B) do serious damage to your bike. get her into your local mechanic and have a full run down and frame alignment done. not being negative nancy here but could be a totaled bike as far as insurance goes :( sad day better safe than sorry though. IMHO, and YMMV but its a thought.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #15
zeeede OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
See, trail riding in NH is safer

Good for doing the right thing and not getting hurt.

I get worried every time I ride on Storrow Drive as you come from Cambridge toward Downtown. Even if they see me, they don't yield anyway.
I dunno... random back woods intersections with Joe. C. Hick driving his beat up ol' truck (or yuppie relocated Massholes driving their Subarus, depend on what part of NH) where nobody expects to see any bikes, and you don't expect any traffic, may be worse than Storrow Drive, where your spidey sense is on high alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My Spidey Sense would have compelled me to start laying into the horn as he was creeping... he was setting up to jump at the last minute (as he did).

--Bill

I was so far away when I saw him creeping that he wouldn't have heard my horn. Then he stopped until I was almost on him (15 ft away, maybe?). I laid on my horn as soon as he started to pull out (and also laid on my brakes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
yup its off center, which means the impact was great enough to either A) bend his cheap POS fleaby brush bster or B) do serious damage to your bike. get her into your local mechanic and have a full run down and frame alignment done. not being negative nancy here but could be a totaled bike as far as insurance goes :( sad day better safe than sorry though. IMHO, and YMMV but its a thought.

Ugh. The lead time to get work done at dealerships around here is about a month (I've been waiting to get some warranty stuff done on the Vee). She tracks straight on the highway... I'll wait and see how bad it looks under the fairing I guess.