Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Didn't feel like working on the bike last night but I did anyway. Left work late and did some work around the house so I didn't make it to the garage until almost 10. I'm due for a good work space clean-up as you can see. Last night felt like I did more searching for tools and parts than actual work but progress was made. When I went out and looked at her this morning I was glad I sucked it up and pressed on.

I turned a plug for the tach cable out of some stainless bar stock after work a few days back. It fit snug with a little work from a round file on the set screw groove. No RTV needed. ;)

Fixed the dent and put down some paint. I had to sand out the glaze I put on yesterday and sand away more of the stock paint arount the damage because the stock paint was lifting from the stress of the dent. Much better the second time around. I'll let it dry for a day or two then block sand it one more time to be sure.

Pulled the exhaust so I can do the wrap. Also want to paint a few spots I couldn't get to with the pipes on the motor.
The nuts for two of exhaust studs were 13mm while the rest were 12mm. Sound familiar? ;D

They aren't as heavy as I thought they would be. If I remember tonight I'll put them on the scale

Painted the end caps on the exhaust cans a few days ago. They turned out well enough.

Drilled the seat pan so I can weld the studs. I plan to run bolts through and weld the heads in place but I needed some different length hardware. I'll pick that up on the way home tonight.

Test fit on the gauge mount is promising. I'll probbaly tuck it in behind the ignition switch a little more on the final version. I'll end up changing it when I do a fork swap down the road so I won't get too fancy. just a piece of aluminum with a z bend.

Also took a stab at laying some accent color on the case logos. I'll probably recruit someone with a steadier hand to do the faces of the letters in black.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Running Bear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Neat Project.
Looking forward to following build.
Running Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
Neat Project.
Looking forward to following build.
Thank for tuning in!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Welded the studs for the seat pan last night. My test run on some scrap was all sorts of crooked because I didn't put tension on the bolts. For the actual pan I put the bolts in and tightened them all down before spot welding them in so they would stay straight.

Next I used flap wheel on the angle grinder to smooth the welds and do some final shaping on the pan. I put down two layers of a foam workout pad I picked up at K-mart. I layed them on as rectangles and used a razor blade to trip to rough shape. It has a nice soft neoprene sort of feel so it should be as comfortable as a minimalist seat can be. I used a 3M #90 spray adhesive because that's what I had on the shelf. It says Hi-Strength on the can so it must be good. Seems like it will definitely do the trick.

Had to set the tank on to check out the lines. Getting closer. The flap wheel on the angle grinder will be handy for final shaping of the foam. I may add another layer of foam on the lower section to make the step in the seat less pronounced.

I had the cover off the stock seat and pulled it over the pan a few different ways. The only way to get the shape I'm looking for is to have a cover sewn with seams in the right places to make the shape happen.

Bead blasted the paint off the valve cover bolts and re-installed for a little bit of contrast.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Laugh

I just stumbled across this thread. looks like you are going to have a very nice CB when you are done. looking forward to the finished project
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper View Post
looks like you are going to have a very nice CB when you are done. looking forward to the finished project
Thanks!

I am looking forward to it all coming back together as well.

There are a few rides near the end of the month that I'd like to take it to so I'm going to keep rolling and get it on the street soon.

Doing a trail ride this weekend though so it'll be week nights only. Where's the emoticon for staying up late to finish a project under a deadline?
Back to work...
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
Thanks!
Where's the emoticon for staying up late to finish a project under a deadline?
It should be my fat face...

Totally digging the CB, been wanting to do one forever, great job!!

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
Nice build! I always thought the dual-range CB900 could be a good ADV/scrambler platform.

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396 View Post
Nice build! I always thought the dual-range CB900 could be a good ADV/scrambler platform.
There is a lot you can do with these frames for sure and the DOHC doesmake a littel better power that the SOHC.

They're all heavy pigs. I've seen a few spec sheets that put the weight of just the motor at 250lbs.

If I can come in under 450lbs I'll be happy.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Progress

Last night I added another layer of foam to the lower level of the seat then did some final shaping...off to be covered.

Also, finalized the mount for the speedo/tach. Kept it simple but it still took a while to fab. I stole the rubber grommets from the factory Trail Tech mount to help isolate some vibration.

Paint was dry enough by morning.

I finish sanding the fins on the head last night but didn't get a pic.

Pulled the front wheel off at the end of the night to touch up a few spots of motor paint and to fix the leaky copper o-ring on the left fork. I still have to pull the swing arm as well to put the chain and rear brake lever shaft back on.

I'll fabricate and oil cooler mount before I do final assembly of the front end. The 79 CB750 didn't use an oil cooler so it doesn't a have a stock mount location.

Sometimes progress looks like this I guess....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #26
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Back to work...

Went out for a couple days of trail riding this weekend (Hanging Rock 200) but I'll be back to building tonight.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #27
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
to do the lettering,use a hard roller to apply the paint.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
to do the lettering,use a hard roller to apply the paint.
That's a great idea. I'll have to raid my wifes craft room to see if she has any small rollers or some stamp rubber.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Monday evening build progess...

It was hot and dry out when I got home so I decide to work on the tank.

I layed down some red Duplicolor Metal Specks over light grey primer. Putting it over a light color made it a little too magenta. I'm going to sand it then put some red Duplicolor Metalcast on it to get more of a candy red tone. If I still don't like it I'm going to cover it in a layer of silver and then do the Metalcast.
The lower area below the body line will still be satin black either way.

The inner fender is trimmed to its final dimensions. Pretty inconspicuous so I'll keep it.

I put a spare seat cover from a dirtbike seat on while the leather seat is being made. Fits pretty well actually and nice and grippy

I thougth I had a solution I liked for tail light/license plate bracket but it sat too high. I'm going to patch those holes and weld a plate that puts it all a little lower

I tried a few mock-ups of an oil cooler mount. I decided to try them in some scrap HDPE because I can cut and shape it more quickly. I'm going to drill and tap the frame to mount the final product which will be aluminum. I'm going to shape it to match the ears on the oil cooler.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
Monday evening build progess...

I thougth I had a solution I liked for tail light/license plate bracket but it sat too high. I'm going to patch those holes and weld a plate that puts it all a little lower
I like the dual cat-eye taillight and license plate bracket that i got off ebay. I even got it wired for turn signals. :-D

I followed a guy into town the other day on a KTM "enduro"...almost more of a supermoto, but it wasn't the supermoto model...that had this like 6 or 7 LED taillight with a plate bracket below it, and if you looked REALLY hard you could see that the outermost LED was blinking to orange when he had the turn signals on. I guess if that'll keep you "legal" then whatever, but I was right behind him at the stoplight on my bike and could just barely make it out. Might be more visible at night, but the only thought in my mind was...if you can't really see it, what's the point?

Looking good...can't wait to see the finished project! Definitely a lot more refined than my "rattle-can rat bike" will be. ;-) Actually debating on adding some cheap graphics to my tank...either the totally cliche shark teeth, or maybe a couple of Misfits skulls...leaning towards the skulls...in fact even leaning towards adding those to my flat black CJ5!