Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakman74 View Post
a lot more refined than my "rattle-can rat bike" will be. ;-) Actually debating on adding some cheap graphics to my tank...either the totally cliche shark teeth, or maybe a couple of Misfits skulls...leaning towards the skulls...in fact even leaning towards adding those to my flat black CJ5!
A misfit skull that covers the whole tank and drapes on down the sides would look amazing!
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
A misfit skull that covers the whole tank and drapes on down the sides would look amazing!
Yeah, that might be beyond my capability though! I have a few stencils readied...just deciding if that's the route I wanna go on the bike. Leaning towards it for my CJ5. Kind of a mosaic of misfits skulls in various colors, to be an urban camo/skulls paintjob.

Thinking skulls in black and either grey or brown would look killer on the Virago tank.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #33
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Thinking skulls in black and either grey or brown would look killer on the Virago tank.
Sounds sweet! Can't wait to see it.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #34
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Still here

I'm still at it.

Fixed that leaky fork again yesterday. For good this time. I couldn't find a properly sized replacement for the copper washer so Itook the original and lightly tapped it flat with a small hammer and then sanded both sides perfectly flat with a piece of 400 grit on a plate of glass. Success.

Also welded the license plate/tail light bracket. You can barely see it in the last pic here. I'll get better shots tonight.

Put down some of the metal cast paint over the metal specks. Wet sanded last night. I'm liking this tone better.

This is the first time I have painted with colors that are so sensitive in how that are applied. They catch light and show uneven layer very easily. I should have researched and planned my layering better with this metallic stuff. Some test pieces would have been a good idea but I got in a hurry and just went for it. There were a few spots that got lighter as I color sanded and getting everything to even back out is challenging.

Tapping my patience reserves for sure but I'm learning the process and getting my head around the right technique. Here it is with what is hopefully a final coat of the metacast red.

It is a bit cloudy in one area. May have been bit too humid when I laid it down. I'll give it a few day sto see if it dries out.

If all goes well I'll sand it one more, then clear, then sand again, then buff, then add two layers of the black trim.....it's a process.

When I was shaving tabs off the rear triangle I removed the mechanical brake switch mount. It was hanging out in an exposed area on the rear tube and there was no good way to hide the wires or protect the switch. I fabbed a new bracket last night that holds the switch up near the motor. I had to extent the arm on the brake petal shaft to reach all the way under the swingarm it all came together. I will get better pics when I pull it out to paint it.

I scrapped a few ideas for battery and electical mounts. Back to the drawing board. I did some more final reassembly while I let my brain stew on the idea. It feels good to put things on when you don't plan to take them off...feels like I'll be riding soon.

[

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 08:28 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

I can taste it...the closeness.

So close I can taste it.

Wheels, fender, chain, swingarm, shocks, handlebars, grips, side cover, levers....all assembled and given proper torque.

Epoxyied the magnet for the speedo pickup to the rotor and tested it out. Bingo.

This kit came with a thermostat that goes under a spark plug. Any thougths on that? I'm not convinced I like the idea.

I finally made a battery box mount that will do for now. I pulled it out to paint it before I took pics so more on that later. I cut away all but the basics of the old stock battery cage and welded a couple of hooks that go under the rear motor mount. It all fits under the pods and keeps the rear triangle clear so that's a win. I was close to doing a swingarm mount but the look and the potential abuse of unpaved back roads convinced me otherwise. When I make an airbox I will probably have to change this setup but this will get me on the road.

Exhaust wrap installed. Just have to mount them back up. The rear exhaust brackets and the passenger pegs got paint last night so I had to wait.

Mounted the crash bars. They took some massaging with a 2lb hammer to get them to line up. I still need 2 more bolts to tie into the front motor mounts. The ones used in the motor swap were too short to make the stretch.

So what's left?

Install the pipes
Intall carbs with clamps
Install coils and plug wires
Install harness and secure
Install guage and solder dash light connections
Intall battery box and battery
Start bike and sync carbs
Install two final bolts for crash bars
Satin paint and pinstripe on tank
Install tank
Install seat
Mount license plate
Ride

Sounds like a nice Friday evening!!! Before a long weekend.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,691
Great build Entrepre-neer

Be interesting to hear the final weight. I built my XR460/4 and the air cooled motor and compact nature make for a good combination. I would like to build another

I lifted the bike by about 6 inches with XR250 Forks and extended 100mm in the swing arm. It worked a treat and is very stable on the dirt, Mine is a bit rattier than yours though

Look forward to your progress

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #37
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
Great build Entrepre-neer

Be interesting to hear the final weight.
Well, the starting weight without gas was over 550lbs.

I stuck it on the scale last night and it was 252 and the front wheel and 279 at the back wheel with 4 gallons of gas. (521)

The motor itself comes in at about 250.

The steel wheels and massive drum/ rotor are probably the best area for weight loss. The rear is close to 50 by itself I'd say. An aluminum swingarm/rear disc swap to something modern would be a great place to shed weight. .

Where did your XR460 end up?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #38
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Did a successful shakedown yesterday! Details to come!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 05:16 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Oh man it looks great! I'm surfing from my Blackberry so hard to dig quickly...are those Trailwings? I pulled an 18" dirt tire out to see how it would look on the XV and I'm thinking I want more aggressive than the Kendas or Avons I was planning, but I still want SOME street manners. :-S I had a set of Trailwings on a bike, and honestly I hated them. I guess eventually I'll have to compromise somehow. Tough part is finding a decent set of 50/50s that fit an 18/19 combo.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

These are the shinko 244. Very similar to the kenda k270

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #41
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Ahh ok...haven't found a set of those in a 120/80/18 and 100/90/19 or close to those sizes. :-S

Am thinking I might pop for the Heidenau K60's like on the LHC CB750, if I can find a set in the sizes I want.

dakman74 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 06:25 PM
dakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,691
Quote:
Well, the starting weight without gas was over 550lbs.

I stuck it on the scale last night and it was 252 and the front wheel and 279 at the back wheel with 4 gallons of gas. (521)

The motor itself comes in at about 250.

The steel wheels and massive drum/ rotor are probably the best area for weight loss. The rear is close to 50 by itself I'd say. An aluminum swingarm/rear disc swap to something modern would be a great place to shed weight. .

Where did your XR460 end up?
Dont know the final weight for sure but will go and buy some scales and give it a weigh tomorrow.

I could lose a fair bit of weight going to XR600 rear mudguard and lights. But I like the styling at present

Tail light assembly is pretty heavy as is the steel rear mudguard and rack.

let you know what it comes in @

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Did a successful shakedown yesterday! Details to come!
Coming along nicely! Can't wait to hear details!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Entrepre-neer OP
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Ahh ok...haven't found a set of those in a 120/80/18 and 100/90/19 or close to those sizes. :-S

Am thinking I might pop for the Heidenau K60's like on the LHC CB750, if I can find a set in the sizes I want.
You couldcheck out the Kenda Big Block I think they have a 19 front. I almost went with Dunlop 606 but chickened out...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #45
dakman74
moto-butcher expert

Yeah, but there's not a 120/18 rear. The IRC Volcanduro that I have looks like it would fit in the 110/100/18 size but I don't think I could run THAT gnarly a knobby on the street, especially on a heavy bike.

I'm guessing you're running tubes on the 244s. Looks like they have them in the right size, but only "tubed" style. :-S

dakman74 screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 10:36 AM
dakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote