Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Zertnox OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
To hack or Not to Hack - 76 Triumph Bonneville (750) or a 65 T100SS (500)

I have had both bikes for over 15 years. One fully restored (T100SS) and the other mechanically restored to factory original but cosmetically as found. I am thinking about putting a Ural style sidecar on one of them - probably the Bonnie.

I have been riding bikes since about 1976 and have always wanted to do a hack.

As to fabrication skills, I have some mechanical and machinist skills and a nephew who knows his way around a welding shop.

Thoughts?
Zertnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
You might want to take a look at our M72D sidecar, we build it to sit a bit lower for the Bonnevilles. We do a lot of the newer Triumphs, All we would have for your bike are "universal" type mounts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Zertnox OP
n00b

Thanks for the offer, but I have an older Ural sidecar sitting in the garage with the original mounting hardware. I am hoping to home brew the subframe and mounting. Although you universal kit looks interesting.

What i am really looking for is anyone with experience with vintage motorcycles in general and Triumph in specific and help determining which bike to hack.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Zertnox OP
n00b

After reviewing your website, if I where to buy new,, it would be one of your Watsonian Grad Prixs.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
650 Bonneville

I first built my 64 Bonnie sidecar outfit in 1981 and would never part with it. Been all over the area Sioux City-Davenport-Milwaukee-Boundary waters, many times two up and with all camping gear.
Single carb head, no engine mods. One tooth smaller c-shaft sprocket. 5 speed cluster.
Steib S-350 weighs about 170 pounds. A Ural is grossly over sized and overweight for a 650.
A Watsonian would be very nice, beat up ones do turn up for sale if you have patience.
I think the 500 is best left as a revvy sport bike.
A subframe is neccessary for the OIF bikes, with just traditional tube mounts. (be sure to leave room for your foot upon the kickstart though). and don't let a mount stress the joint between the swingarm pivot and the oil-bearing downtube. The subframe should bypass and not stress that area.
Build light, man.
I think you'd be really happy with a traditional lightweight sport sidecar, I have always been.
Sorry the only digitised photo of mine is the poor one on my profile here.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
and

Triumph twin sidecar outfits were road tested in many English and a few German and American motorcycle magazines, at least as far back as 1950.
Doing the research and seeing how they were set up back in the day really helped when I was building mine.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote