User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
BMW Genuine Motorcycle ProRain 3 suit sizing

I need something I can slip over when it rains while commuting. Does anyone know how these things run for sizing?

$135 on Amazon.

swooshdave screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:30 AM
swooshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 868
I wear a 44 'Stich, 5' 10" 175 -- a XXL in the BMW, it has slightly odd proportions.
Billowy.

Wasn't more than that $ at the stealership.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

I'm roughly the same size (add a few pounds).

Would you go down a size so it won't billow?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Picked one up Thursday for a rainy weekend in northern NH this weekend... worked a treat.

I'm 5'10" , 165lbs and wear pretty much a medium in everything. The medium fit perfect over my gear - no flapping and I ride a naked bike. Love it so far - and the viz in the foggy rainy mornings was perfect.

I'm happy.

Only drag - no way to run wires out without leaving the zip undone. The velcro did hold tight at speed, not a drop got in. YMMV
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,539
Here's the strange thing about sizing. I'm 6'3", 210 lbs, 44" chest... and I wear an XXL in the BMW Pro Rain 3, and it fits over motorcycle pants and jacket very well, if not a little big.

And I think I paid $135 at the BMW dealership in Michigan.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

I'm going to see if the BMW Dealer in Tigard is open tomorrow. Their website doesn't have hours... But I think they'll be open.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

Got one. I would have waited but it might rain tomorrow.

Looked at them on the rack. Held the Small up and it was over my head. Ok, so I grabbed a Medium and tried it on. I had on jeans and a textile Vanson jacket and boots. Took a while to get on and when I did I couldn't bend over. The body was actually too short. So I tried the Large on next. That was better. Even got to sit on my bike with the suit on. Very comfortable. The legs seem big but I don't think they will billow. They have a very long leg zipper on the sides to make it easy to get on, even with big boots. The biggest trick is getting the jacket off when wearing my armored jacket. Helps to have a buddy, at least until I get use to it. From what I can tell it's extremely well made and has some really nice details like a large rain flap, waterproof pocket on the front and a reinforce seat. Plus the leg protectors.

I paid a little more than I could have but I got to try it on and walk out the door with it in my bag. Speaking of which it comes with a sack that you can cram it into.

What I can't believe is that BMW sells anything that cheap. Heck, they have gloves there that are more expensive...

Here in Oregon there is no doubt I'll get a chance to try the suit out, and soon.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Just got one from amazon...MaxBMW supplied. Thank you for m&m's!
I'm 5'11", 200lbs. Sort of slim but broad shoulders, rather good looking. I bought a xl based on sizing chart on another site. Bit large. I think I could have squeezed into large with gear on but then risk stretching seams and crotch area. Oh and about the crotch area, there is so much fabric that it looks like I'm HUGE. Sadly I'm not :(
Pretty good quality though. Haven't tested it.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

I think it depends on your torso length as to the size you should get. The legs are going to look big but as soon as you get on the bike they should fit.

It might be hard to do with the fabric boner but how is the fit when you bend at the waist? Or crouch? With the Medium if I had dropped my keys on the ground I wouldn't have been able to get them.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshdave View Post

I need something I can slip over when it rains while commuting. Does anyone know how these things run for sizing?

$135 on Amazon.
Seems great but it would be safer to try it out before you buy online. I always avaid buying clothing stuff online because of the sizing problem.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Seems great but it would be safer to try it out before you buy online. I always avaid buying clothing stuff online because of the sizing problem.
Which is why I paid a little more to try them on.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

Ride report.

Went out at lunchtime in full banana suit. While it was raining it wasn't dumping. In the first test the suit was wonderful.

Bonus: If you need to lose weight put one of these on in the summer and you'll dump 30 lbs of sweat in 4 seconds. Which is to say that if you're riding and the sun comes out you may want to pack the suit away.

I'll probably go with some Aerostitch pants for daily riding and keep this handy for serious rain.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
swooshdave OP
Adventurer

Ride report 2. Decent shower today. Suit preformed flawlessly. It's more likely that your gloves or boots will fail first.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core10metal View Post
Just got one from amazon...MaxBMW supplied. Thank you for m&m's!
I'm 5'11", 200lbs. Sort of slim but broad shoulders, rather good looking. I bought a xl based on sizing chart on another site. Bit large. I think I could have squeezed into large with gear on but then risk stretching seams and crotch area. Oh and about the crotch area, there is so much fabric that it looks like I'm HUGE. Sadly I'm not :(
Pretty good quality though. Haven't tested it.
Ride report:
So that not so little crotch fabric was not so funny. Was on a rain ride down from lake George. Started to rain so pulled over and surprisingly put my suit on without a problem or even taking off my boots, so a+ for roadside rain suit. BUT, while I was riding, all is good when a sudden gush of water emptied out into my crotch. I guess what happened is that extra fabric created a pool and the water suddenly found its way to the zipper and into my pants. Not a big deal, I just adjusted the fabric woody and all was well. Perfectly dry for 4 hour rain ride. And glad I didn't get the large and instead went for the xl. The large would have looked better but too tight with all the other gear underneath.
Wish they made it in black with key reflective points. I look like a banana.
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote