Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #31
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
JIMINY CHRISTMAS it was cold today...but I managed to do a good loop. Pics to come!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #32
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Only a couple weeks late. I'm ensconced in my office while the rest of the city plays in the snow, so you guys get pitchers...

I started out that cold saturday by slabbing it down 123 to Seneca, then turning up 28 to Walhalla.

I met a friend of mine at the Walhalla rifle range. I didn't stick around to shoot but we had a good little visit.

I then turned back onto 28 and then got on 107 in Mountain Rest. I followed 107 all the way to Wiginton Road then went over the ridge to 130/281.

107 is a good road and possibly the most scenic in South Carolina. The overlooks on the west side are great. The asphalt is a little rough in some patches and a little corrugated. The skinny front tire on the SV wandered a little, but I took it easy and focused on picking good lines and had no major issues. I hope to try that road on a DS machine soon.

Wiginton Road overlook

Lake Jocassee

US 64 near Sapphire

The temp had dropped to about 30. I was the only motorcyclist for a hundred miles. It was time to seek shelter and warm up, so I stopped at the new Gorges State Park visitor's center.

The view.

They had some cool displays about the ecology and geology of the region...I'm a bit of a geology nerd so I enjoyed it.

And they also had this going on. I put my feet up for a minute and thawed out.

I had the run of the place. Everyone with a brain was at home out of the wind.

From the Toxaway river bridge

East Bound on 11

I was almost back to G-vegas and decided to make a quick detour over Paris Mountain. Got this picture, which I love, but damn near froze to death in the process when the sun went down.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #33
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,063
Great pics
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #34
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Great pics
Thank you sir. Did you ever get rid of that VFR?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

This week was rather snowy here in the shadow of the South Carolina Blue Ridge.

Luckily by this weekend the snow had melted off the roads and the sun was out. The SV was sitting in the apartment parking lot, begging to be let off the chain.

Good enough...

I slabbed out to Clemson for a late lunch at Super Taco (they have a fantastic steak burrito) Then schlepped up 130 to Salem, following the shoreline of Lake Keowee.

Followed 130, up the escarpment into the sweepers. I'm stealing a line from Wes Siler (i think) but the torque on that SV kept lifting me out of those curves like the hand of God Himself.

It was a fantastic afternoon.

If you want to be a year-round rider. At least one with substandard gear--cold can not intimidate you. It can not be merely tolerated. You must make it your bitch. So that way when your brain says "The sun's about to go down...we should climb three thousand feet!"

You can say, "That's a good idea, brain!" and twist the throttle.

Then freeze your balls off.

After that episode, I decided to get back down to less freezey territory.

Lake Jocassee, my namesake.

I headed home after that. Very good day overall and a much needed ride in the sunshine.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #36
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

A good day, punctuated by a crash

I went out this weekend with the ever-stalwart KaosBandit (AKA Adam) and his friend, Jeff.

We started out the day on some mild twisties and some light gravel. For you locals--we cut across on the Green River road and came out below Dupont State Forest on 276, then took the East Fork road over to 178 (of which I have written).

I have ridden the East Fork road before and found it difficult. It saw heavy use over the summer due to 178 being closed and I believe the surface deteriorated, leaving it rutted and wallered out in places. I had also had my front tire wash out in gravel early in the day and the associated pucker moment led me to be timid on the SV with its questionable suspension.

Adam was in the front on his KLR, I was in the middle on the SV, and Jeff was pulling up the tail on his new-to him Wee.

Adam was flawless on the KLR, choosing good lines and powering through the apexes. I was having a less spectacular day and felt like I was really fighting with the SV. I couldn't see Jeff, but he sounded like everything was going well...

Ahead of me, Adam glided into a pretty gentle downhill decreasing radius corner. It wasn't a really scary stretch but I didn't set it up well and the surface was uneven. I screwed up and panic braked right in the apex of the turn. The SV and I got through it OK but all I heard over the headset is "I'M OFF I'M OFF I'M OFF!! And some other fairly predictable words. Jeff was a little too close behind me, and instead of hitting me ditched it in the weeds. It was a soft landing, but not soft enough. We got back to Jeff as quick as we could, and lifted the bike off his pinned arm and shoulder. He was able to walk, but not without considerable pain.

The corner:

The bike was mostly OK--some minor scratches and dirt.

We got the bike picked up and pointed the right direction. Jeff elected to ride home since his right ankle was the only damaged anatomy.

We carefully got back on the road and headed toward 178. When we reached the turn, Jeff elected to ride himself down to the Anderson hospital, a good hour's ride and a two thousand foot elevation differential. We offered to accompany him, but he insisted in his hardassedness so we let him go.

Jeff and the slightly wounded Wee

Adam and I were left to our own devices. Fortunately the rest of the day was pretty tame. For some reason I enjoyed the gravel more on the SV than I did the asphalt. It may be time to get a true ADV bike....

The odd couple

Yours truly posing at an old mill race back in the hills

Some friendly locals *queue banjo music*

Glorious gravel

Water hazard

After some BBQ in Brevard and a couple of navigational mishaps, we arrived safely back down in the Piedmont.

Adam later received a text from Jeff. He made it to the hospital OK but he broke his fibula and and will take some time to recover so keep him in your prayers.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #37
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,063
Enjoyed the pics
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #38
halflife
ride 2 live

Oddometer: 9
Love N Ga and WNC. Can you tell me where this pic was taken?

Keep up the great work!

[/QUOTE]
halflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by halflife View Post
Love N Ga and WNC. Can you tell me where this pic was taken?
That is the back side of the top of the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway, looking north. Just a tiny window through the trees.

I believe this is the spot:
34.726937,-83.841724
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #40
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 514
How about these two locations? I have seen the waterfall many times here but never knew where it was. I get down to see my dad just north of Waynesville every Father's Day and need to see these 2 places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Went for a short jaunt up 178, across 64, then up 28 from Highlands on Sat. Left my friend from Arizona to fend for himself thru the dragon and I rode back to G-Vegas via Walhalla so I took 28 all the way back down which was FABULOUS.

"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #41
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
How about these two locations? I have seen the waterfall many times here but never knew where it was. I get down to see my dad just north of Waynesville every Father's Day and need to see these 2 places.
I know where the top one is. SC 11 (Cherokee Scenic Highway) just west of Aunt Sue's below Table Rock.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #42
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
The cliff face is off SC 11 next to Table Rock.

35.03337,-82.685043

The waterfall is Bridal Veil Falls,
35.072054,-83.229134

If you travel there, make sure you get the correct location in your research because there is another Bridal Veil Falls in Dupont State Forest below Brevard.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #43
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRider View Post

Aquamarine is my favorite color on the 350's. There's a girl here in Greenville who rides one around.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #44
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 514
Thanks Jocassee and LWRider. Will post up when I get down there this summer.
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks

opjocephus screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:11 AM
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #45
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Aquamarine is my favorite color on the 350's. There's a girl here in Greenville who rides one around.
Not to clutter up your thread, but here's the same bike freshly painted a few weeks ago. Picture make sit look a little bluer than it actually is. (very early 1968 model)

I once met a fellow up on at Caesar's Head, if I recall correctly, that fixes them up and rides all over the place up there. He was from Greenville and apparently had restored a few of those 350s and sold them in the area. Could be one of his you've seen.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote