Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
señormoto OP
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Wink Smallest lithium battery for a XR650L?

Thinking of ditching the battery box and replacing+relocating the battery with a lithium, then moving the fusebox to the other side of the bike.

Anyone know what the smallest CCA/AH is that will turn over the XR650L and not require a charger after rides?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
scootergmc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/863..._hl__%20shorai

Spud's is pretty small
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,652
I have a shorai, 1.5 lbs., .3 lbs is foam to fill the voids

focallength screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 02:07 AM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
My Shorai LFX09A2 battery has started my XR650L easily, whether hot, or cold, for the last 30,000 miles. However, if I were going to relocate my battery today, I would purchase an Antigravity 8-Cell battery. The Antigravity batteries have stronger terminals, and I believe they crank harder than the Shorai batteries.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801/

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
I have an Antigravity 8-cell, love it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i been using the ballistic battery for about a year on my f650gs with no problems.it weighs about 1.5 lbs and is pretty small.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
señormoto OP
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
great options guys. thanks for the links.

I had shorai on my F800GS but it had some cold starting issues in the winter... I think it was the wrong size for the bike because about 3 months after I bought it the company restated their recommended battery size for that bike and they replaced the one I had - but then I didn't get another cold ride to test it on. Aside from that I was happy with the weight difference.

The antigravity ones look really nice and the terminals to look stronger. I'll probably go that route since I've already tried shorai and I enjoy testing out new brands.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
I have been using an 8 cell Antigravity in my 640 KTM for a while. It sat for 8 months without a charge and cranked the engine easily for many minutes of hard starting (my mechanic misaligned the cam sprocket during a bearing change which left the exhaust valves open for the first part of the compression stroke.) I had enough room left in my battery box for a spare tube with the change to lifepo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
This is how GOOD the Antigravity battery is I got 2 of the 4 cells to use for my 24V starting system for the CW 720 motor. Tested 1 with stock motor handled it with NO problem now I live in FL so dont have cold to deal with
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
great options guys. thanks for the links.

I had shorai on my F800GS but it had some cold starting issues in the winter... I think it was the wrong size for the bike because about 3 months after I bought it the company restated their recommended battery size for that bike and they replaced the one I had - but then I didn't get another cold ride to test it on. Aside from that I was happy with the weight difference.

The antigravity ones look really nice and the terminals to look stronger. I'll probably go that route since I've already tried shorai and I enjoy testing out new brands.
They recommend warming the battery up in cold enviroments, just turn the switch to on and let it sit for a minute.

Is the AG worth the extra $40? My shorai has the same connectors as my standard battery, no issuses.

On a side note, when I do long rides I use the shorai as a back up battery.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote