Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
TheRadBaron OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Honda CB160 piston clearance; Factory manual typo?

Does anyone have the proper spec for piston-bore clearance for a '66 Honda CB160 twin?
The factory Honda manual that I have states that the clearance should be .004-.008", but that has to be a typo because that's WAAAY too big. For example, the manual for my Honda XL125 gives the clearance for that engine as .0004-.0020". The CB160 should theoretically be even smaller than that since the bores are smaller.
Anyone know the proper spec? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Does anyone have the proper spec for piston-bore clearance for a '66 Honda CB160 twin?
The factory Honda manual that I have states that the clearance should be .004-.008", but that has to be a typo because that's WAAAY too big. For example, the manual for my Honda XL125 gives the clearance for that engine as .0004-.0020". The CB160 should theoretically be even smaller than that since the bores are smaller.
Anyone know the proper spec? Thanks.
I have a CB160 manual, but I'm at work, so I can't confirm it, but my recollection is that I had the impression that the clearance number seemed strange to me when I looked at it.
I have no idea if that's a typo or not, but if two different manuals have the same number, (assuming they're not from the same printing!), maybe it really is what they should be set to.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
That has to be a typo. I worked for a Honda dealer back in the '60s and raced a 160 bored to 175. We gave the piston .002" for extra clearance.
.0015" clearance was the middle of range if i remember.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
TheRadBaron OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
That sounds precisely like what my machinist and I have agreed it should be. I'd just really like to find something officially in print before I tell the machinist to pull the trigger on the final honing.
I'm rebuilding this motor for a buddy and it's the first time I've ever done major work on an old bike for someone else. My reputation as the local Jap-bike guru will be damaged if I give the guy a motor back with funky piston issues.