Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Damn Minnesota deer...

(cross-post from Regionals)
I was riding down echo trail at 70 kph, maybe 15 minutes from Ely when a deer runs at me from the left side right into the handlebars. His head was at eye level with mine. THUMP.

I don't remember hitting the ground, but I hear a loud noise and open my eyes. The pavement is sliding an inch from my face. Profanity is said.

I'm still sliding and I turn to realize the bike is on my leg and we're sliding together. I pull out my leg at about the same time we come to a stop. I get up and check myself out. I hurt, but everything seems to work. I wrestle the bike up in case a car comes and to stop the gas from leaking.

I see blood and hair on the road. I don't think its mine, but i know there's a small pool of blood in my glove. I don't see the deer, but i see my watchband on the road (but not the watch)

It's been about 10 minutes and no one has come by, this is a quiet country road. The bike starts and seems ok. I head back to Ely for a hotel room and to patch myself up. I miss the hotels and see the hospital sign. ok, lets go in. I'm buzzed in. No lineups, just me. I tell them my story and they put me into a room to take my gear off. I give them a list of where I'm hurt. They are impressed with the gear...saved me a bunch of pain.

So the tally:
Body
road rash Left elbow
road rash right ring finger
fractured right pinkie (handlebars must have come down on it)
fractured right elbow
bruised right ankle

Honestly, the pinkie hurts the most.

Gear
Fieldsheer Adventure Jacket: left elbow shredded, bottom back shredded

Aerostich AD1 pants: Right pantleg shredded (no lower body injuries except foot...love those pants) The pads in the pants are outstanding.

Sidi OnRoad boots are worn, but still pretty good considering a 400lb bike was weighing it down on pavement. Right boot now looks like suede

Alpinestar Tech Road gloves held up well. Right pad shredded but did get through the leather. Small hole in ring finger caused a cut, no idea how that happened.

Arm is hurting so I'm gonna wrap this up.

I get a hotel for the night.
Miserable ride home on Saturday. Freezing and right arm is buggered.
Slept better last night. iced and kept arm in a sling today.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Wow, that is scary, sorry to hear all of this, but really glad you are ok with minimal damage.

this truly seems like a reason to get good gear such as yours, you can tell the gear saved you lots of damage.

You planning on replacing the torn up gear now?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll replace the AD1 pants with another set. I was actually in Duluth trying on a Darien earlier that day "for when the Fieldsheer wears out"

Boots I suppose I'll keep, provided they are still waterproof. Gloves will be replaced with more Alpinestars. Helmet was a Scorpion and has chin, visor and forehead damage. I was very happy with it but they don't make that model in hi-viz anymore, I'm gonna try on a Shoei Qwest later this week.

ps. Don't tell my wallet, but it's about to get a serious workout
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,186
Uff da.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
GSingWI
Drunken Irishman

Oddometer: 599
Enough about you...

How's the bike?

Just kidding. Glad to hear you're OK! . Fricking forest rats! It's a good reminder to watch for deer-now that spring is finally here.
GSingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Barely a scratch. Tweaked steering, fork edge ground down. Rode it to the hospital after the crash and rode it 6 hours home Saturday.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Does your insurance pay for gear?
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,902
Glad you are not seriously hurt. It pays to wear gear! I had a similar deer accident 2 years ago and I know my gear saved my life or at least more injuries and even more pain. Unlike you, I spent almost a week in a trauma unit for multible broken ribs. I have made a full recovery BTW.

The deer population is getting out of control! My accident happened just before noon when they are suppose to be sleeping. I am not an animal expert but I believe that over the years the deer migratory patterns have been slowly changing. They are no longer afraid of humans and have few if any natural predators. They now roam freely at all times of the day.

As riders, we need to constantly be on the look out especially in rural areas where my accident occured.

Anyway, heal fast!

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
Does your insurance pay for gear?
Been given differing answers. I find out tomorrow when I meet the adjuster.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
gunny_usmc
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 396
Agree with Rick, I hit my deer on my trip back from Moab in '07. , 1:30 in the afternoon on a hot sunny day. The end of may and into June are the worst in the north east as the does are up at all hours looking for a place to give birth.

I hit Bambi doing 70mph an slid 120 feet on the pavement, no rash, cracked a few ribs and broke a bone in my thumb in 5 places, the gear works, I'd rather sweat than bleed any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1978 RD 400
" I'm flat out like a lizard drinking "
gunny_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_usmc View Post
Agree with Rick, I hit my deer on my trip back from Moab in '07. , 1:30 in the afternoon on a hot sunny day. The end of may and into June are the worst in the north east as the does are up at all hours looking for a place to give birth.

I hit Bambi doing 70mph an slid 120 feet on the pavement, no rash, cracked a few ribs and broke a bone in my thumb in 5 places, the gear works, I'd rather sweat than bleed any day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto Gunny. Closest I've ever come was at 2 in the afternoon. That one was so close I could smell deer in my helmet for a week.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
Assume jeans, chaps, work boots, fingerless gloves, loose jacket (orange and black maybe?) and half a lid.

Now review the damage to your gear and think of the damage had you been wearing the above.

You wouldn't have picked up your bike somebody else would have picked you both up.

I cringe when I see guys and gals riding bare assed.

Scary, I came off on a low side at 70 mph and if I had had my left foot tucked in I wouldn't have broken my leg. I had absolutely no other damage.

Me too, sweat a little save a lot.

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

The folks at the hospital definitely noticed how well I turned out, indicating most of their deer strike victims don't look as good. (no helmet law, etc)

They get about 12 a year, I was the first for 2013.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 465
Glad your ok and on the mend!

Just last week a riding buddy hit a deer as we were riding. He came out just a tad better than you...no injuries - very sore.

His his full ATGATT gear set was really rashed up. Does not take much to think about doing his slide without proper gear...and we saw a lot of riders in shorts & tees the same day.

Seeing is beliving...thanks for posting!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
The folks at the hospital definitely noticed how well I turned out, indicating most of their deer strike victims don't look as good. (no helmet law, etc)

They get about 12 a year, I was the first for 2013.
Same here. The hospital personel would look at my chart, see I had a deer motorcycle accident and would ask where the road rash and damage was? I would reply that I was wearing proper gear but the poor deer was not. My damage came from the impact of the deer landing on my back, smashing me into the tank and breaking a whole bunch of ribs.

My gear looked a lot like yours. They all gave their lives to save mine.

Ain't it grand that we are alive to talk and even laugh about it?

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote