Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Thanks for the compliments.
Here's the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerBlue View Post

Here's a picture of one of my favorite ladies, on her Shovelhead called Big Orange. She's put over 300,00 miles in Big Orange and she does all her own wrenching. Haters can stick that in their pipe and smoke it.

Liz is good people, she lives in the next town over from me. She's an old school LDR on a 37 yo bike.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
LeatherFoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Shovels......

I've had 3 shovels now. The last one was an original paint 78 1/2 FLH that I rode daily (pending no ice) for 4 years. It never left me sit 1 time. I did have to keep after the maintenance: tightening bolts, tires, fluid changes, lubrication, repairing pieces that broke from vibration, etc, but the bike was stone reliable. I loved it and sold it to a fellow in Ohio that collected them.

2 weeks ago I bought a clean 79 FX set up like an FLH for $2500. Yesterday I ordered a new pogo (for 220plus lb riders) and all the tune up stuff. It is not an original bike, but should be fun. They do sound awesome, and after you work out the bugs, they are really reliable.

I also agree, the nice original ones are getting expensive, and hard to find.

LF
LeatherFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,583
I still see them around on occasion. The guy who posted about the bikes being purchased and sent overseas is fairly accurate. When I worked for a Harley dealer we had a couple of individuals who would come by the shop on a regular basis looking for bargain shovelheads..they went across the country looking for bikes which they bought and sent across the ocean.

When I'm out and about on my Harley I wonder where all the EVO's went....it's getting where you don't see many of those on the road.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
There's Shovels around.
I rode mine to work today.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
[QUOTE=gusanito;21421106]Thanks for the compliments.
Here's the other side.

still F3434554 beautiful

wish
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
My '74 Shovelhead Hardtail is super reliable if I'm not in a hurry, I can go anywhere at 70-75mph and everything stays in place, If I ride over 80 mph stuff starts shaking loose plus it really isn't an enjoyable ride,

A few times I have been riding with groups that insisted on running at 85-90 mph, I figured it was better to ride alone than in bad company and didn't bother trying to keep up.

I've had it up to 100 mph a few times just to do it, 100 mph on a hardtail Shovel is an interesting experience when the road is bad.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
My '74 Shovelhead Hardtail is super reliable if I'm not in a hurry, I can go anywhere at 70-75mph and everything stays in place, If I ride over 80 mph stuff starts shaking loose plus it really isn't an enjoyable ride,

A few times I have been riding with groups that insisted on running at 85-90 mph, I figured it was better to ride alone than in bad company and didn't bother trying to keep up.

I've had it up to 100 mph a few times just to do it, 100 mph on a hardtail Shovel is an interesting experience when the road is bad.

while not a shovel, my '67 sportster hardtail is reliable and great on the freeway to ~80mph.
past there it's still great... i think... but the vibration grows so much that i can't really see. anything.

i've hit 113mph. that was a ride.

it used to be a hot 11:1, andrews PB+ cammed, magneto, beast of iron that was near impossible to kick start unless the stars aligned and nobody was around to watch. it was a bit less reliable then, temperamental as could be and would run like a raped ape the rest of the time.

now it's 9.5:, andrews P cam, CV carb, magneto. kicks over easy, dead reliable, low maintenance for something that's 46 years old and was outdated technology when it was new. doesn't feel that much slower than when it was 11:1, either... and not temperamental at all.

nothing shakes loose; loctite and safety wire are my friends.

i've had a shovel. loved it. it was battered, neglected, dragged through hell and back and still ran fine. the dude who stole it must have liked it.

i've got a genny shovel that'll be on the road one of these days, as a hard tail long bike.
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,468
Any pics of your ironhead?

I have an '82 FXS with FLH front end and sheetmetal. A '62 CH, and a partial '64 CH...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,588
I didn't think of this as a "show me your Shovel" thread but I'd love to see some.

My favorites are the late '70s/early '80s AMF bikes Willie G penned. If I could find an original Sturgis my irrational brain say's I'd love to have it. They seem to have gained "custom" paint and apes instead of those cool drag bars.

Edit to add a random YT Sturgis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9aPcJAtgSc
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #25
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I love mine! Rode it last nite. It's a rigid built from a wrecked 1980 FLH. Been on the road for 10 years in this configuration. A good friend is restoring the original frame so someday the drivetrain will go back in its original home. I agree that they are as good looking as a Knuckle.

My first shovel was a 4 yr old worn out '81 police bike that managed to teach me all the bad things that shovels can do to the uninformed. My current one is a sweet running machine.

I really admire folks like the lady with the 300,000 mile shovel. That's dedication. Not sure I'll ever have that many miles on mine but I'm gonna try!

Note to the poster above: a buddy out west has an '81 Sturgis that he bought from the original owner and mutual friend who passed away from cancer a few years ago. It is pretty much stock and is in great running condition. Nice bike!

choppahead screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 05:02 AM
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #26
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I mentioned this a while back, they had been overlooked for far too long, they were the last of the true Harley's, the newer models just don't cut the mustard.
A funny true story: I was at a local swimming hole when a group of riders came rolling in all on the latest Harleys. Later that day when every one was relaxing, I saw this kid was riding a bicycle, I turned to him and said, when are you going to get a motorcycle? He said that he was saving for one and hoped to be able to afford one by next year. I asked him what he wanted to get. He said a Harley! One of the group that rode in kind of lit up and said I ride a Harley. The kid, all 110lbs of him said "No, I am going to get a real Harley". The guy asked him what a real Harley was. The kid never batted an eye, looked at the guy and said " You have to kick a real Harley to start it, and if you don't and ride one you are a pussy! Not one of the group said a word. Everyone else was just laughing.

To this day I think the kid is right, a real bike is started with your foot.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,192
I built a '66 in a wish bone frame for my wife, she never rode it, so I sold it :(
I've noticed the Evos have almost vanished too. Most every Harley I see is a Twinkie

crampfan screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 04:38 AM
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
A funny true story: I was at a local swimming hole when a group of riders came rolling in all on the latest Harleys. Later that day when every one was relaxing, I saw this kid was riding a bicycle, I turned to him and said, when are you going to get a motorcycle? He said that he was saving for one and hoped to be able to afford one by next year. I asked him what he wanted to get. He said a Harley! One of the group that rode in kind of lit up and said I ride a Harley. The kid, all 110lbs of him said "No, I am going to get a real Harley". The guy asked him what a real Harley was. The kid never batted an eye, looked at the guy and said " You have to kick a real Harley to start it, and if you don't and ride one you are a pussy! Not one of the group said a word. Everyone else was just laughing.

To this day I think the kid is right, a real bike is started with your foot.

This story is amazing! I love Shovels, and the early Evos were OK... but I would never buy a Harley newer than the mid 1990's. They got a lot more electronic 'crap' that added basically no extra features, lost horsepower, got heavier, and got more expensive...

In my area (central east coast) the Evo big twins are all gone too. Most people in my area consider an Evo to be 'vintage' ... which makes me laugh. The only time i see Shovels and older bikes are at the big bike weeks, like Daytona and Myrtle Beach (before they shut it down).

3 of my 5 Harleys are kick only, 1 is kick and electric, and one is electric only... but I dont hate electric start. Actually, I prefer to have both kick and electric. The only reason that my 1978 is electric only is because thats how it left the factory, and it was an exacting restoration.

my 1969 XLCH (not a shovel, but the Shovel was based on the early Ironhead, so its close). Honestly, the 1958-69 XLCH is my favorite Harley of all time... maybe even favorite motorcycle of all time. You just need to ride a short frame, magneto CH sometime... it will cahnge your life.

1978 FX (kick only superglide):

1978 XLH1000, 75th anniversary edition - mid restoration. Thats a 1945 WL in the background:

the 1978 XLH1000 post-restoration:

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 07:23 AM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
2WheelTrampin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808

I only have a 76 Ironhead I fully rebuilt, tore apart the sprocket shaft and left flywheel pretty good, turned that key into a puddy ball.

I'd love a shovelhead, but like one man said, they're all going to Japan.. I was even offered a job to help a man find them all and send them over there... I need the money :\
2WheelTrampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
Any pics of your ironhead?

I have an '82 FXS with FLH front end and sheetmetal. A '62 CH, and a partial '64 CH...
daily driver, good timer:

it really is that skinny, in person. super narrow trees, machined fork legs to squeeze around the drum, narrow bars, wee svelte thing it is.

(not much of a photographer, me)

i had a shovel that was stolen.
i had a shovel i sold to someone in japan.
i've got a shovel that'll find its way into a long bike one day.
and... i'd love a shovel FXR.

i occasionally see a killer deal, but they're either swept up fast or not legitimate and/or fishy (ahh, the joys of harleys)

dhallilama screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 09:49 AM
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote