Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #61
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Really? I live in north Portland and I rarely see any old Harley's, much less shovels. I think I'm the only shovel rider around here it seems sometimes...I see a lot of Ironheads though.
lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
i'm always surprised when i read something like this... while not super common, i still see shovels on the road often, at least around here. Evos i see daily. i've friends that daily drive both shovels & evos. i would, but i have too much fun using my ironhead as a daily... plus my shovel is in a million pieces :)
They were and are very expensive machines to buy in the UK so were never that big a seller in terms of numbers per year. To give you an idea of the prices the new wide glide would cost us the equivalent of $20,500 yet you guys pay the equivalent to 7500 for one.

enough of the figures and my doom and gloom. Back to the Shovelheads

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 01:18 PM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #63
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky23 View Post
Really? I live in north Portland and I rarely see any old Harley's, much less shovels. I think I'm the only shovel rider around here it seems sometimes...I see a lot of Ironheads though.
i see a couple shovels going up/down SE powell pretty often

1% bar on Foster has a shovel and a few Evos parked out front most nights

any of the ABATE swaps/meets are filled with Evos & a good number of shovels (and lots & lots of leather tassels and conchos and such )

See See on Sandy often has one or more parked out front

there are a bunch of ironheads around, though. i ride my '67 often, daily driver most of the time.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #64
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i see a couple shovels going up/down SE powell pretty often

1% bar on Foster has a shovel and a few Evos parked out front most nights

any of the ABATE swaps/meets are filled with Evos & a good number of shovels (and lots & lots of leather tassels and conchos and such )

See See on Sandy often has one or more parked out front

there are a bunch of ironheads around, though. i ride my '67 often, daily driver most of the time.
Yeah, I used to live by there. Those guys used to hang at the Queen of Hearts by my old house. I used ride my red and white '72 Ironhead all around over there... I live in North Portland now, very few vintage bikes that I see over here...
Old 01-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #65
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I used to live by there. Those guys used to hang at the Queen of Hearts by my old house. I used ride my red and white '72 Ironhead all around over there... I live in North Portland now, very few vintage bikes that I see over here...
i'm in SE Hawthorne... a decent number of old bikes around here. it's occurred to me that i happen to frequent motorcycle shops & hang out with motorcycle dudes that have old bikes like i do... might have something to do with seeing the bikes on the road
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #66
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, The One Show is coming up! My friend Kenny from Motogalore is gonna have a cool shovel and a knuckle in it...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #67
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, The One Show is coming up! My friend Kenny from Motogalore is gonna have a cool shovel and a knuckle in it...

motogalore... last year they had the purple triumph, right? think that was my favorite bike there & i'm not even a triumph guy.

it's been a great show! we've been to all of them. not sure if my ironhead is in the show or not (haven't heard back from thor), but i'll be there either way.

bald dude with a big ass beard, wearing plaid- that's me. wait. that probably describes half the guys there. a couple of the girls, too. i'll probably be there with at least a couple of my kids, so that should narrow it down. name's dan, first round is on me
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #68
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good! I'll see you there!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #69
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Here are a few shots of my shovel (brown one) and my Dad's (blue one). Both are 1978. You especially don't see many of the small tank Shovels anymore, the fat tanks seem much more popular.

Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #70
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, the XLH buddy seat actually works great for your shovel! Nice!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #71
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Did you custom mount it?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #72
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Here in Cal. everybody wants the latest newest thing. Twin Cams in various displacements are everywhere, evos are rare, and I only see a couple of shovels a year, some of them might be the same guy.

What's really rare are ironhead sporties, I can't remember the last time I saw one. Also never seen anybody out riding a pan/knuckle, only see those at shows.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #73
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Here are a few shots of my shovel (brown one) and my Dad's (blue one). Both are 1978. You especially don't see many of the small tank Shovels anymore, the fat tanks seem much more popular.

Those are sweet. You never see the old FX tanks anymore, seems like everyone likes to throw fatbobs on them.

A few months ago, I was heading home and saw a bike pulled over on the opposite side of the interstate. I went to the next exit, and rode back to see if I could help. It turned out to be a '60s pan, all original, except for a belt drive, owned by a gentleman riding from the Tampa, Fl area to Louisiana. I rode home and came back with my truck to get him off the interstate. He chose to be dropped off at the Burger King at the next exit, where he waited for his friend to come pick him up. I rode back afterwards to get some pics of his bike and keep him company.

Oh, yeah, his primary belt had broken.

A few weeks ago, he e-mailed me he had just gotten home from a ride to Deal's Gap. I think he said he and his buddy had done 2500 miles on that ride and the pan never skipped a beat.
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #74
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow, the XLH buddy seat actually works great for your shovel! Nice!
Thanks!!

While it was called the 'buddy seat' for the XLH, it was also listed in the 'big twin' accessory catalog in the late 1960's through early 1970's, as the "All Model" seat. It is the same seat, but the stitching pattern on the top is slightly different. They were even the same part number, but the end letter was different, indicating the slight change in stitching. It was a fairly common seat the FLH's in the 1960's and early 70's. Admittedly, my bike being a 1978, is too new for the seat to have been a factory option, but I put one on anyway for the older look.

Some people love the look, and some hate it... but it is one comfy seat!

I used the factory bracket to mount the rear of the seat, but I made my own front bracket, because I didn't want to pay the crazy high prices for an apparently rare part that no one will ever see anyway...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #75
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post

Is that your shovel in the background? If so, post some pics please, its SWEET!

It looks to be a 1958-64 frame (or an optical illusion of straight frame legs due to the plunger seat...?), but with a square (1973+, disc brake) swingarm? Cool setup...