Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #76
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
Is that your shovel in the background? If so, post some pics please, its SWEET!

It looks to be a 1958-64 frame (or an optical illusion of straight frame legs due to the plunger seat...?), but with a square (1973+, disc brake) swingarm? Cool setup...
Thanks.
Yeah, the shovel's mine. There's another pic on the first page of this thread, post #10.

You're right about the '58-'64, it's a Duo-Glide.
The pan's swingarm was stock with a drum brake. If you look at the pic below, between the lower bag and shock,you can see there's no disk brake.

Here's a pic from the other side.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #77
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
love the FX tank & accessory seat.

I've got a green/off-white seat with gold piping sitting here waiting for a project to use it on. not sure if it's an XLH buddy seat or an all bike accessory, but ive never seen another like it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #78
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,157
How about this? A work of art. Who ever imagined an FLH looking so svelte. Built by this guy, link.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #79
Kamakura Kid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Here in Japan there are loads of Shovelheads and Ironheads. Evos are starting to become the next preferred engine, and command higher prices than Twin Cams.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #80
RedSquareJapan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakura Kid View Post
Here in Japan there are loads of Shovelheads and Ironheads. Evos are starting to become the next preferred engine, and command higher prices than Twin Cams.

For example:
http://spice-mc.com
RedSquareJapan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #81
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Thanks.
Yeah, the shovel's mine. There's another pic on the first page of this thread, post #10.

You're right about the '58-'64, it's a Duo-Glide.
The pan's swingarm was stock with a drum brake. If you look at the pic below, between the lower bag and shock,you can see there's no disk brake.
I was referring to your bike, the white shovel, when I was asking about the 58-64 frame with 73+ disc brake swingarm. It looked like a straight leg frame, but I'm thinking its an optical illusion because of the pogo seat, making the frame legs appear to slope down more than they do?? Everything else about you bike says 73-79, so I'm sure thats what it is. Really nice bike, classic and clean! I think I need an FLH like yours to keep my FX company...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #82
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
love the FX tank & accessory seat.

I've got a green/off-white seat with gold piping sitting here waiting for a project to use it on. not sure if it's an XLH buddy seat or an all bike accessory, but ive never seen another like it.
The mounting holes, and everything else important about the 'buddy' and 'all model' seats are the same... so I'm sure it will fit whatever you want to mount it to, XLH, Shovel, or Sprint.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the 'buddy' seat had long stitching lines in the seat that ran front to back. The 'all model' had 3 stitches that ran left to right on the passenger section of the seat only.

Your green and gold one sounds like it would make a groovy 70's style bike.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #83
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
I was referring to your bike, the white shovel, when I was asking about the 58-64 frame with 73+ disc brake swingarm. It looked like a straight leg frame, but I'm thinking its an optical illusion because of the pogo seat, making the frame legs appear to slope down more than they do?? Everything else about you bike says 73-79, so I'm sure thats what it is. Really nice bike, classic and clean! I think I need an FLH like yours to keep my FX company...
Thanks.
Yeah, it's an '81 FLH-P.
Funny, I've been looking for a '70s era FX, as my first Harley was a '76 FXE I bought new. Finding a stock shovel is becoming more difficult.
Here's another shot of it.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #84
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakura Kid View Post
Evos are starting to become the next preferred engine, and command higher prices than Twin Cams.
I wish mine was sought after. Cant sell it
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #85
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,157
Are Sportsters allowed in this thread? I saw this one at Alice's above Woodside. It came down from Washington.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #86
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
How about this? A work of art. Who ever imagined an FLH looking so svelte. Built by this guy, link.

This I like.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #87
lucky23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Thanks!!

While it was called the 'buddy seat' for the XLH, it was also listed in the 'big twin' accessory catalog in the late 1960's through early 1970's, as the "All Model" seat. It is the same seat, but the stitching pattern on the top is slightly different. They were even the same part number, but the end letter was different, indicating the slight change in stitching. It was a fairly common seat the FLH's in the 1960's and early 70's. Admittedly, my bike being a 1978, is too new for the seat to have been a factory option, but I put one on anyway for the older look.

Some people love the look, and some hate it... but it is one comfy seat!

I used the factory bracket to mount the rear of the seat, but I made my own front bracket, because I didn't want to pay the crazy high prices for an apparently rare part that no one will ever see anyway...
I would love to see more pix of your bike! I'm sure Harley bro's would hate it with that seat, which is why I like it. It compliments the line of the tank making it look more 60s Ironheads. Cool.
lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #88
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Are Sportsters allowed in this thread? I saw this one at Alice's above Woodside. It came down from Washington.
not a sportster; that is a shovel.

i recognize the bike, too... saw it in portland recently.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #89
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
That Brown bike looks great (blues ones nice as well) and a refreshing change from the custom style of Harley we've seen over the years.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #90
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The mounting holes, and everything else important about the 'buddy' and 'all model' seats are the same... so I'm sure it will fit whatever you want to mount it to, XLH, Shovel, or Sprint.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the 'buddy' seat had long stitching lines in the seat that ran front to back. The 'all model' had 3 stitches that ran left to right on the passenger section of the seat only.

Your green and gold one sounds like it would make a groovy 70's style bike.
the green is very dark green, looks black in the photo. the gold piping is between the green and the off-white, again difficult to see in the photo. the top "stitching" in this one is pressed, not stitched. really not sure what it's from. i've got a few other XLH buddy seats and none look like this.