User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
wa.tarider OP
transalper

Oddometer: 137
Deer hit and down I go.

After a great ride the day before, we get up and it's like 34 outside so we wait and have breakfast hoping it'll warm up some. By 11:00 it's only 42 or so but sunny and the wind is picking up again. It's April 30th in Fields, Oregon and time to ride so we head to Whitehorse ranch road to check out the hot springs up there. Buddy was ahead as I dropped back due to dust and was gaining on him after about 2 miles into Whitehorse from the highway,,, when Bang a deer jumped from nowhere from my left and landed in my headlight taking the front wheel to the right along with the Transalp. I kept going forward 'till landing in the gravel and sliding what seemed like forever. I sit up and check limbs to see little finger on left was pointing east while other 3 north. Not good so off with the glove. I pull it out and back in line and it seems ok but the crunching it made didn't seem right. I crawled to the bike to shut it off the stood up and felt left ankle hurt. By this time buddy had seen all the dust and no bike so he returned to help pick up my wounded bike. Last I saw the deer it was dragging it's hind end then fell over dead. Couldn't take getting t boned by a 500 lb bike and 200 lbs of me doing xx mph.
So that ended my riding and the next day I figured maybe I should get home and check the damage. The 550 miles home with a sore foot driving a 6 speed truck hauling the 5th wheel was not so fun but worse is the xray of the finger that needed 4 screws to fix and sprained ankle the hurts more then the finger.
All in all there could have been much more damage to me and the bike. I thank the Klim Dakar pants and the extra pads I put in, the Cortech jacket that really did the job with near no damage and the AFX 39 helmet that saved my head.
On the last roll I watched the gravel scrapping on the shield until I stopped. Only real damage was to the left knee of the pants and it is just a small tear. Klim will repair it soon.
I have Progressive with comp/collision and 2500$ medical. They have been great and very generous paying for all my gear and the bike. Didn't total it. I will up the medical from now on as the $2500 won't go far.
Something for you to consider is what your insurance would cover should you get hurt.
Keep a sharp eye out for those stupid deer and wear all the protective gear you can. I works!
wa.tarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Hmmm, This makes me want to get some kind of finger splints for my gloves to keep my fingers from going sideways....

sorry about your off! Those deer... bleh! Maybe we can get some kind of scoop like the cow scoops on a train?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 863
Ouchies!

Glad you are OK. Apparently you don't use your little finger to type.

No venison for dinner?

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
wa.tarider OP
transalper

Deer dinner?

No I didn't want to eat it. Would have been mush I think. And I can't type on a good day
Just ordered 12 of these:http://deerwhistle.com/?gclid=CMrw57...FU_ZQgodkA0Ahg
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa.tarider View Post
No I didn't want to eat it. Would have been mush I think. And I can't type on a good day
Just ordered 12 of these:http://deerwhistle.com/?gclid=CMrw57...FU_ZQgodkA0Ahg
Are you gonna mount those deer whistles on your helmet?
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Glad you're okay enough to post. That says a lot for the gear you were wearing. Heal up and ride again. That's more than can be said for the deer.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
wa.tarider OP
transalper

deer whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
Are you gonna mount those deer whistles on your helmet?
I bought 12 and will put them on all my rigs and give everone in my family one for thair cars and bikes. Might even put one on the boat!!! Helmet is a good idea though, thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
I feel your pain, been hit by three of the fookers. Two different times one ran into my rear quarter and I managed to stay up right, one I took the same way as you and went down. Four more strikes in cars, again two into the side of my vehicle - man are they dumb, and I think that scares more than anything. There's a post and pix here somewhere about a guy that took a deer strike, with a pix of his dented hood...... on his LAWN TRACTOR! ...unbelievable.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 125
Wow, sorry about your finger, but glad you didn't get more banged up. Good gear really works.

I'm still not sure deer whistles work, but I have a pair on the Goldwing since it is too quiet.

Back in '07, I hit a yearling with a 900 Monster. Killed it and put me in the hospital for a week and off work for 4 months. My jaw was broke on both sides and I had cracked vetebrae in my back.

And the Ducati had Arrow slip-ons...it wasn't real quiet. Matter of fact, I was accelerating when I hit it at 50 or 55mph.

We have a problem with deer in west TN. Way too many of them, lots more than 20 years ago.

Let's all ride safe out there...watch out for the damn wild goats.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 460
Glad your on the mend...

Your comment "On the last roll I watched the gravel scrapping on the shield until I stopped"...made me laugh: I think back to when I went down a decade ago...one of my memories is seeing the most attractive little orange pebble embedded in the pavement as I slid along the asphalt viewing it thru the visor...with all that was going on...that pebble still sticks in my mind.

Thanks for posting!

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
elel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Progressive!

Have to agree about progressive insurance. When I was hit both myself and the other driver were covered by them, and they were really fast to pay out. I just was a bit surprised that I only had $1000 of medical coverage on my policy; called them up right away and made that $10,000. Glad you weren't hurt worse - deer are really a menace.
elel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
10k medical is that even worth doing? Seems like any substantial medical coverage isn't going to come from auto insurance
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
wa.tarider OP
transalper

medical coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
10k medical is that even worth doing? Seems like any substantial medical coverage isn't going to come from auto insurance
I'm sure more would help me as the $2500 won't cover much. I'm going to up that a bunch!