ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
jimbote' OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: central nc
Oddometer: 13
640e kickstand bracket....

just recently got ahold of my first ktm 640e y2k model... I like the bike aside from one feature ... the absence of a side stand ... just a few days ago I bought a ton of parts from a guy who parted out his 2002 640e ... in the boxes of stuff was a factory side stand but no bracket to attach to my frame .... can someone point me in the direction of where to get said bracket? welding is ok but I would prefer a bolt in solution.... thanks in advance
jimbote' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,026
I am the opposite. I took the side stand off and put the center stand on. The stock side stand bolts on in place of the centerstand. You can't use them together. So remove the center stand and you can install it. There are also some threads on modifying the stock side stand to work with the centerstand. SWMotech makes a side stand that allows you to keep the center stand but it ain't cheap.

The high buck option to run both a center and side stand is here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...640-all-models

Pretty much everything you might want to know about a 640 is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

And welcome aboard.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200

Grreatdog screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:42 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,686
For Adventure travel, the center stand comes in real handy... Like the G-dog I have had only a centerstand from day 1:

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
jimbote' OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: central nc
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I am the opposite. I took the side stand off and put the center stand on. The stock side stand bolts on in place of the centerstand. You can't use them together. So remove the center stand and you can install it. There are also some threads on modifying the stock side stand to work with the centerstand. SWMotech makes a side stand that allows you to keep the center stand but it ain't cheap.

The high buck option to run both a center and side stand is here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...640-all-models

Pretty much everything you might want to know about a 640 is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

And welcome aboard.
thanks for the welcome and reply....I just finished my order @ ktmworld for all the bits to fit the stock sidestand ..... I understand the centerstand can be very convenient for trail repairs while being inconvenient the rest of the time....I prefer sidestands ....prefer is the key word, as it's a matter of preference ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
For Adventure travel, the center stand comes in real handy... Like the G-dog I have had only a centerstand from day 1:

great video :) .....the centerstand shows it's usefulness .... but I'll let you have a spare one cheap !
jimbote' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote' View Post
thanks for the welcome and reply....I just finished my order @ ktmworld for all the bits to fit the stock sidestand ..... I understand the centerstand can be very convenient for trail repairs while being inconvenient the rest of the time....I prefer sidestands ....prefer is the key word, as it's a matter of preference ;)



great video :) .....the centerstand shows it's usefulness .... but I'll let you have a spare one cheap !
I have a brand new sidestand I am not using, does your center stand have a foot tab on it?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
jimbote' OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: central nc
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I have a brand new sidestand I am not using, does your center stand have a foot tab on it?
it does not gunner .... it's the basic low class plant your foot und pull ... have any pics of your side swiper?
jimbote' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer
 
wvrocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elkins, WV
Oddometer: 571
My 2000 640 Adv has the factory side stand on it. For some reason mine is useless. Seems to be about 3" too short or the angle on it is wrong. The bike will not stand on it at all. Haven't really tried to figure it out though as the center stand works well.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
wvrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer
 
Seikkailu_R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Piikkiö, Finland
Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
My 2000 640 Adv has the factory side stand on it. For some reason mine is useless. Seems to be about 3" too short or the angle on it is wrong. The bike will not stand on it at all. Haven't really tried to figure it out though as the center stand works well.

Stock side stand for 2000 model is 407mm long.
Maybe you have shorter stand from other model, or really worn bushing/bolt on side stand?
And 2000 was last year adventure came with both, side and center stand.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer
 
wvrocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elkins, WV
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
Stock side stand for 2000 model is 407mm long.
Maybe you have shorter stand from other model, or really worn bushing/bolt on side stand?
And 2000 was last year adventure came with both, side and center stand.

Thanks, I'll have to measure it. I know for sure there is some slop in the pivot, just haven't taken it apart yet to see exactly why. It would be nice to have the side stand functional if I'm going to carry the weight around.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
wvrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Thanks, I'll have to measure it. I know for sure there is some slop in the pivot, just haven't taken it apart yet to see exactly why. It would be nice to have the side stand functional if I'm going to carry the weight around.
Is the mount loose, I had to weld mine to the frame and reman the bolt for it and for the center stand, it had snapped off.

The side stand can be customized easily with the heat wrench, must be chrome moly, I'd cool it slowly after you custom bend it.

No problems stick welding on the frame...dc the battery leads.
bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer
 
Seikkailu_R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Piikkiö, Finland
Oddometer: 821
On 2000 model adventure r side stand bracket is weldet to frame, not a bolt on part...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer
 
wvrocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Elkins, WV
Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Is the mount loose, I had to weld mine to the frame and reman the bolt for it and for the center stand, it had snapped off.

The side stand can be customized easily with the heat wrench, must be chrome moly, I'd cool it slowly after you custom bend it.

No problems stick welding on the frame...dc the battery leads.
bill

Nope, its welded to the frame. There's all kinds of slop in the pivot though. I'm going to tear it apart tonight and see if I can tighten things up with a bushing or something.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
wvrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,805
A little cutting, grinding and welding on the KTM bolt on sidestand bracket can get you this..





...cost me a case of beer.

YMMV
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 09:20 AM
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
jimbote' OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: central nc
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
A little cutting, grinding and welding on the KTM bolt on sidestand bracket can get you this..





...cost me a case of beer.

YMMV
that lookin' sweet man!.... did you just grind off the mounting tabs that bolted it to the frame and move it out slightly? .... are you using the stock side stand ?.... any pics of that beast in the upright position?
jimbote' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote' View Post
that lookin' sweet man!.... did you just grind off the mounting tabs that bolted it to the frame and move it out slightly? .... are you using the stock side stand ?.... any pics of that beast in the upright position?
Yes, I just cut off the mounting tabs, and ground the plate to fit the contour of the frame. My friend welded a little bit back on to the plate at the bottom where I cut the tab off at a bad angle.

I don't think it's a stock side stand. It's something that was on there when I got the bike. It's got a foot that's larger than normal, and slightly adjustable (not length just rotation)

I don't have any pics of it up, I'll take some when I get home..
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014