Oark has good pie!
scoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #47
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I only took a couple photos. This one is a crime scene.

Burpppppppp, it's empty now.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,503
I wonder if theres a beer shortage in Arkansas this week? Those Okies sure are a thirsty bunch.

Working on getting my pics up.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #49
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,503
The wifey and I rode down saturday morning to spend some quality time at SLAP.

We met this bunch at Backwoods BBQ.

Ray takes his ordering seriously.

Good eats!

Back to Byrds with Albie and Ray.

Thats a good looking crew......

We are thinking of buying this house together.

Albie and Bill "sexting"...

Beer makes Ray happy.

Gus even adventure rode his hawg down.

We decided to leave saturday afternoon and go find the Hurricane Creek trail that Oleary had ridden previously. We found it! Thanks Oleary!!

Ray walking on water.

Wifey comin across. Pretty rough trail and she did great!

See Ray ride.

See Ray fall.

Ray just has to find new lines, mine arent good 'nuff.

He found a nice big boulder to run into.

I wanted to get in the water and help, but since I had a camera I thought I was more useful taking pics.

They were still smiling so we kept on.

We made it out safely and on the way back to Byrds we ran across Newner frolicking in the woods!

I decided to help, so I took more pics.

It was a good recovery, good job guys!

Newner even had on his mountain climbing Croks for the rescue.

We had a great dinner and good times.

I'll let you guys caption this:

Thank goodness we had this guy there to keep the Okies under control.

The lovebirds!

Well that honeymoon didnt last long, Scribe already picked up a new skank.

Off they go.

Breakfast at Oark was superb!

Then this group walked in....We just cant get any peace and quiet.

We got back and "Team Hot-Shoe" was headed out for a ride.

Thats about it for us, we had a good ride home.

Thanks Bill and everyone!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,535
Damn, that pic of breakfast at Oark made me hungry
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #51
Arkwhizzy
Arky by choice

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammca View Post
Hey all,

My father was the one who broke his leg. "pallbearer37". so before any speculation begins this was not a "newbie" accident because my dad and I both ride a lot. hell I was chasing him most of the day. he's 68 and looks 58 and moves like he is 48. The man knows how to ride. Just one of those freak things. We both over shot this corner on whitewater road or whatever it was. I ended up in the creek but managed to keep it on two wheels. My dad did the same as me downshifted fast and locked the rear but he didn't go in the creek. It just fishtailed out from under him and his right foot got stuck under the bike and turned the wrong way. Spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula. Had surgery yesterday morn at Fort Smith Sparks medical center. Rod inserted in the bone and assorted pins and screws. Recovery will be a little bit. Not sure but he is real healthy and should bounce back soon. Those that were on the ride with us knew what the road was like and yes we were moving at a spirited pace that would probably be frowned upon or encouraged depending on who your with I guess. We took this on ourselves and knew the risks. YES I do have a couple of pics to prove it but some are on my dads cam. One on my phone and such and I have never posted pics on the forum as of yet. Don't have the time to screw with that right now. I will be attending this again and probably should have gone with my first instinct and looked for singletrack. KLR be damned, we would not have been going as fast if on a more technical trail. Next year I will have my shit together with the routes and GPS so I have my bearings of the area sorted out. Thank god my phone had half of a half of a bar and was able to call "911" and get the fine first responders out there. All the while this was happening my dad was making jokes and remained in good spirits. The man is a rock. We had ear to ear grins up until that moment and regardless still had fun. I don't want anyone to think we went into this half baked trying to put a black eye on the SLAP rally. It is what it is. Could have been worse. Thanks for riding gear right? ride safe everyone and Im sure we will cross paths again.
Well gee... like none of us have ever overcooked a turn . Give my well wishes to your Dad and hopefully we will see you and your Dad at S.L.A.P. 2014.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #52
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,426
Thanks to Bill and the TTPC Crew for putting it all together.
And first of all, thank YOU ALL ADV Riders for coming to Byrd's from near, far and very far

I didn't take any pix, 'cause I was too busy riding, drinking and singing.
On the way home I had a little road adventure of my own.

Left rear tire blew out on I40:

It yanked me to the left lane pretty hard, but fortunately that lane was empty and I didn't have to "lay her down". It just messed up the side of the truck. Oh well, it will buff out.

Again - it was great to see y'all FFs
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #53
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogn1sh View Post
HighFive let me take a ride on his TE390.
Ho-chi-momma!
. Sheeeez.....Boog, it's an FE390, not a TE.

It's a Husaberg, not a Husky!

Now then, tell everyone what you really thought about it....

HF

Ps. Where is this Backwoods BBQ someone spoke of ? ? ? Those ribs looked good!

I'm always a sucker for a Q-quest.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #54
Celtazon
Enigma

Oddometer: 403
Some of the Squeelers:

Celtazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #55
Crashit
GO HARD OR NOT AT ALL

Oddometer: 514
Will someone post the few pics I have smug mug account is screwed
Crashit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #56
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Way to go Ted and crew! I see RJ made it as well! Man, I really hated to miss this one. I had the bike loaded in the truck, kayak loaded as well, and was looking for three days of ridin and floatin! I think I might have been more looking forward to the floating than the riding. But I woke up Friday, felt like dog doo doo and was coughing up a lung. Oh well, I guess there is always next year. Looked like you all had a blast.

Oh, BTW, I think I dropped my bike about where RJ had trouble with that boulder. Big rocks in there. I got diverted to the bank and of course couldn't find any footing. Next time I am going to cross downstream a little bit further.

I was thinking I was pretty studly until I saw Shelly motoring thru there. Good going! The trail was really fun, some of the water crossings were a bit dicey. Great photos as well. Thanks for postin that up.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #57
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammca View Post
We both over shot this corner on whitewater road or whatever it was. I ended up in the creek but managed to keep it on two wheels. My dad did the same as me downshifted fast and locked the rear but he didn't go in the creek.
Hay ammca! I hope your father is recovering nicely. I know how that can happen. I almost met my Maker just riding down a county road and slammed on the rear brake too hard and the ass end came out from under me.

Aren't you one of the Cabot fellas that rode in the Blues Brothers group with me at the AR500? I don't think I ever got your handle if you are. If not, maybe next time. Take care.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #58
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,723
Well, here's my brief and belated "report".

I headed to Byrd's on Wednesday and was virtually alone, save some folks from Iowa. 4Star had already been there a day or more as he made a solo walkabout through AR and neighboring states visiting old friends... some were found, but others were not.

While we shot the shit at my camp, a second Iowan, Sprout, showed up. I was beginning to wonder if we were being invaded.

My van was pretty loaded with kegs, ice, swag, tees, etc.

The site couldn't be more perfect for a rally, and based on all the feedback, it seems that most of the ff's in attendance agree.

Wednesday afternoon/evening it was threatening to rain. Well, it did rain, but threatened to rain a lot. 4Star and I sought shelter under my canopy for a while before I finally decided enough and struck out alone to who-knows-where. My stomach told me I should go to Oark for dinner, so I did. I rapidly consumed a burger as I realized it was getting closer to sundown and I didn't want to ride straight back to camp. I had neither a plan, map, or GPS, but fortunately, Oark had a map on a nearby table. Snapped a pic of the general area for emergencies and struck out for some dirt.

Figured if I headed north and took only left turns, I'd hit pavement again near camp. The plan worked perfectly. First time I've ridden the KDX at full throttle on forest roads and it was fun.

Later at camp, Bill, Newner, and I did lots of tedious rally prep stuff while we drank Busch Light and were tempted to tap the kegs early. But we refrained.

Thursday was a planned day of trail riding. Well, we planned to ride a bunch of singletrack, but we failed to find a bunch of singletrack. Sprout, Newner, and I explored the Byrd's ORV area for what it was worth. We rode some challenging 2-track though. Newner was having some kickstarting issues with his finicky Honda, so we retreated to easier forest roads that afternoon. We summed only about ~45 miles on the day, but it was definitely fun. The bitch hill was pretty epic.

I don't really have much for pics because it was raining off and on all day.

Folks started arriving Thursday night and we had a nice campfire courtesy of Njoytheride. Many thanks!
This pile of firewood is about 4' high.

Since I was unfortunately expected to be in a wedding rehearsal on Friday at 4pm, I was forced to make an early exit on Friday. Sprout was willing to lead me on some singletrack until about noon. It was good fun.

In closing, SLAP was brief for me, but I'm glad to hear that everyone (except the injured) had a wonderful time. Again, I'd like to thank the planning committee (plus the TTPC) for making it happen. It was truly a team effort and I think we all enjoyed it.

Had my own adventure getting to the wedding on time.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #59
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,033
I brought my KDX out there too. I hope you were doing better than me, mileage wise: 18 mpg kinda limits your range. (Little carb leak didn't help matters.) Good area for the bike, though.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #60
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I brought my KDX out there too. I hope you were doing better than me, mileage wise: 18 mpg kinda limits your range. (Little carb leak didn't help matters.) Good area for the bike, though.
I'm not sure how big my tank is, but I figured I can get about 50-70 miles based on my usage rate during SLAP.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote