Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Be careful if you're going to ride wearing ropers:

a) The front sole is most likely smooth leather which can be slippery under certain conditions.

b) They probably have a right angle at the front of the heel that can catch on cracks or other irregularities in pavement. Motorcycle boots usually have a round front edge for the heel so they're less likely to catch in those situations.
Thanks for the heads up. Both of my pairs of ropers (lace up and regular) have oil resistant non slip soles (over leather, of course), but I hadn't thought of the heel (except that it rests nicely just behind the peg). I will definitely be careful.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,058
Never took an MSF course and probably never will but my buddy was telling me about dumb marines on badass bikes that couldn't even get them started. Why the hell would you get a R1 as your first bike?? The got kicked out. I'd rather be the guy who falls than who can't ride the bike at all

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #33
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,861
First, you've got guts posting this here. This isn't the most forgiving bunch.

Second, you've got balls for posting that picture. Reference above.

BTW, MSF basic course has little to do with everyday life saving skills on a motorcycle. It'll get you through an empty parking lot & the DMV, but not much else. Don't let it fool you.

Best wishes on a long & successful motorcycling future.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Well, here's my choice of riding gear, so far. Need to get some boots and pants, and I would like a pair of better gloves (at least these are MC specific gloves, so, improvement.)

Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #35
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,263
I can see you on a Harley in a few months.....

(Welcome to advrider also!)
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I can see you on a Harley in a few months.....

(Welcome to advrider also!)
Love it. Saw that in another thread, and it had me in stitches.

However, as to the Harley... meh. If I were to go anywhere from here, it would be towards a small dual sport, or if I were to replace the TUX, it would be with something like a Triumph or a Guzzi.

I got the TUX specifically because I did not want a cruiser, or a big bike in general. However, I am vain, and don't particularly like the style of most modern sport bikes and the standards that pretend to be sport bikes.

Had a decent dual sport popped up on CL before this one, I might have gone for that, but I don't intend on doing a lot of real of roading any time soon, so that seemed pointless. Trips in the mountains on backroads and maybe some dirt/gravel roads? Sure. I think she could handle it.

And that's enough rambling for that response.

BTW, didn't really mean to get all black gear. The jacket is Fox Creek. I wanted a leather jacket with armor, and that fit the bill at a price I could swing. The helmet was the only one in my price range at the store that didn't have a stupid pattern all over it. Why can't they make solid colors?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
The helmet was the only one in my price range at the store that didn't have a stupid pattern all over it. Why can't they make solid colors?
The mx type patterns increase visibilty as well as attract new buyers. When I bought my Raider black 3/4 helmet, I put a large orange duct tape stripe down the middle of it, however I prefer silver or grey specald gargoyles, war-eagles (a skull pattern is bordering on pirateness) like on my half-hel. My Kali full-face has random blue/black jotting on a white background, to sort of match my DR650. I want reflectability but solid reflectability like chromed Wehrmacht pails is over the top; well, people notice dragons!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #38
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Sturdiest pair of boots I have. Lace up ropers. Honestly, after riding, I think I might have had trouble with anything bulkier. Size 13s take up a lot of space.

Adjust your shifter I wear 13s too, I just need a little more room for my track boots versus my street or casual boots.

......and I almost always wear boots anymore.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Holy shit, look at those "barkbusters". Well I guess not for 'bark' as there are no trees on the range (that's what we call 'em on woods bikes).
I thought the same thing! I'd love to have a set of those on the DRz, it would take a little longer to mash them back to my fingers!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #40
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
1. The OP definitely is CRF250L fodder, although off-road clothes like loser-fitting Dickies, and a comfy pair of Walmartians (to me) are more real. And a dual-sport helmet for the jowels! Actually it's a great deal, as the cost of a crf250L and tu250x is less than many used euro-advenduros are by themselves.

2. Based on his locale, bike security is a concern. I'm in the woods and I kept my cr in a locked shed, chained to a ramp. Now that it's acting like a planter, it still is out of view of the main drag, which is frequented by more deer than motorists but thats the rub.

Seth650 screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:04 PM Reason: reabadility
Seth650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have students wear more gear for liability reasons - long sleeves, closed shoes and any helmet is all they asked for, as I recall. It's easy to forget but going down at 30mph on pavement with inadequate gear hurts and it can put you in the hospital from road rash alone.
It's the RC's job to control speed- max speed is about 20mph. In every case I've seen, actual speed when the rider hits the ground is probably less than 5mph; skin abrasion if any is usually smaller than tripping over a sidewalk crack.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
I am a vehement disbeliever in "Everyone crashes at some point" Utter and complete B.S. case in point was my father who rode close to 55 years and never dropped a bike, except when parking it on grass his foot slipped. That wasn't a crash.
This is what I like to hear
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth650 View Post
The mx type patterns increase visibilty as well as attract new buyers. When I bought my Raider black 3/4 helmet, I put a large orange duct tape stripe down the middle of it, however I prefer silver or grey specald gargoyles, war-eagles (a skull pattern is bordering on pirateness) like on my half-hel. My Kali full-face has random blue/black jotting on a white background, to sort of match my DR650. I want reflectability but solid reflectability like chromed Wehrmacht pails is over the top; well, people notice dragons!
I've got some reflective tape coming in the mail. Ought to make me a little more visible without the stupid skulls and tattoo patterns that all the colored helmets at the store seemed to have.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #44
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Don't kid yourselves, you guys, people in cars don't see you even if you're wearing a high-viz Aerostitch jump suit with a matching helmet. That said, if you can catch even one person's eye it's worth the effort. Another good thing about visually toxic colors in MC gear is that last year's unsold/un-saleable gear usually goes for pretty decent prices on the 'net, so you can find some real deals. I don't really care what it looks like, I can't see it from the inside, but my wife has a different opinion since she gets to stare at the back of it as we ride . BTW, She put the nix on a high-viz jacket I had my eye on last year because she thought she'd go blind looking at it from the pillion seat.

Quote:
Based on his locale, bike security is a concern. I'm in the woods and I kept my cr in a locked shed, chained to a ramp. Now that it's acting like a planter, it still is out of view of the main drag, which is frequented by more deer than motorists but thats the rub.
That's a drag, one reason we love living in the country is we don't feel we have to lock everything down all the time. We have two great watchdogs, too, though! I don't own bikes anyone would want to steal, either.

Quote:
I've got some reflective tape coming in the mail. Ought to make me a little more visible without the stupid skulls and tattoo patterns that all the colored helmets at the store seemed to have.
It helps, I think. Some dark evening you should turn the bike on and set your helmet etc. on the seat, park a car about 25 feet behind it with the lights on, and take a walk around the bike to get a feel for what a driver coming up behind you would see. I've got high-intensity LED driving lights mounted low on my front forks plus HID headlights, so I think I'm very visible from the front, but without auxiliary lighting on the rear all you've got is some reflectors and a teeny brake light. You are really invisible from the side. I've seen some small arrays (like four or five lights) of yellow-orange LEDs that aren't real bright but flicker randomly, mounted on the license plate bracket or sides of the front forks, that really catch your eye. Been wondering about getting some of those. A friend has some, I'll ask about them and post a link here.

3M makes reflective tape in many different colors but that reflects BRIGHT WHITE. I've had that stuff pasted on the black saddlebags of two BMWs I've owned and it's really cool. During the day it's invisible, just looks black like the thing it's pasted to, but at night it's brilliant white reflective. It's visible in daylight too when the sun angle is right, but at night it's amazing. They also sell stuff called SOLAS (safety of life at sea) that is the most reflective stuff known because the open ocean is a big empty place and that stuff shows up like a beacon even in a faint light. I got the stuff through the Aerostitch on-line catalog years ago, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere if you search.

Being conspicuous helps, but really it's defensive driving and situational awareness that will keep you out of trouble more than anything.

I hope you're enjoying your new passion!

Doug

manfromthestix screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 04:49 AM
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
my friend sent me the link to his cool "conspicuity" lights. I've seen them on the fronts and rears of bikes and they really do get your attention.

http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/index.shtml

Auxiliary lighting is pricey, no doubt, but I think it really helps (more than high-viz clothing or helmets) and is probably cheaper than the deductible for a single trip to the emergency room. It all helps. The good thing about LEDs is that even a small bike like the TU produces enough juice to power them.

Doug