Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #46
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Nope. Test rode the F800 and the Tiger XC...liked 'em both but the F800's engine didn't move me at all. The triple sold me on the XC and I've put 38,000 miles on it in two years. I'm not an expert in the dirt (nor on the street), but it has managed jeep trails, single track, and baby-skull rock-strewn terrain with aplomb. I limit it more than it limits me, but ideally we both would benefit from significant weight loss...
My experience exactly! Drop the front sprocket to a 15 T, add some crash protection and its ready to go.
strider.deano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #47
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoo View Post
Forget the specs. The real key is that the mini-GS has absolutely no soul while triumph's triples have more character than a bus full of Marine drill sergeants.

The mini-GS seriously feels like a 125cc scooter even with the motor at full tilt. On the other hand, the tiger reminds you every ride why you're out there putting up with rain, sweat and bad drivers.

Take it from this desert dweller that there's no real heat issue with the Tiger. My right foot gets a bit warm in stop-and-go traffic in temps over 95F. That's because there's an exhaust pipe down there. (Try riding a ducati superbike in 110F heat. Now that's a heat issue!!!)
That's interesting. It shows it is all a question of perspective. I have a Tiger 800 XC. I think the F800GS is a more engaging motorcycle, with a lot more character than the XC. The XC has less torque so the power shows up after some twisting of the throttle. The GS gives a more aggressive riding experience, and I like that. I did not buy the GS and bought the Triumph for other reasons. But I will sell XC some time in the next year or so, and it won't be an F800GS what I plan on buying in its place in the future.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #48
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
What about slow speed maneuvering? Like you would on trails and rocks. I would be riding in Arkansas and Oklahoma in the Ouachita National Forest. It can be very rocky up there.
Note that I have a Tiger 800 Roadie, not an XC, but having owned the F800GS, R1200GS, and now the Tiger Roadie and having ridden the XC, slow speed maneuvering is much, much better on the R1200GS and F800GS than any of the Tigers.

The Tigers are top heavy pigs in comparison at speeds below 10mph. The engine is high and heavy and Triumph put the gas tank on top. The F800GS has a much lower weight distribution, is narrower where it matters while riding (and is wider where it sucks when adding panniers), and in my opinion is better balanced.

Now, does this matter to me? Not very much, as the differences are gone above 10mph or so. The Tiger has the much "nicer" and more engaging engine, but the F is more tractable and in my opinion easier going on loose ground. As I ride 99.9% on tarmac, I prefer the more engaging and exciting triple engine, which is also much, much smoother. The F is pretty smooth up to 5k rpm, after that it plain sucks with vibrations.

Overall, a good rider can take both bikes pretty much anywhere you could think of taking one of those heavy "adventure bikes". A bad dirt rider like me would likely get further with the F800GS, which would only mean I get stuck in worse places ...

Anyways, I think the Tiger is the better road and travel bike, the F is the better dirt and adventure bike as long as your travels and adventures are within reach of dealers.

Some more things to consider: parts availability for Tiger parts is pretty bad. It's stupid bad for some things. BMW is better with that in my own personal experience.

I would also rate the Tiger quality between the R1200GS and the F800GS. The F is just plain cheaply made with some really bad quality / designs. The R1200GS is quite a bit better than the Tiger, especially regarding fasteners and design of parts. Fit and finish of the Tiger is similar to the R though. Overall I think Triumph has to go through at least one iteration of just making things better on the Tiger before they catch up with the R1200GS and event the F800GS in terms of nice and well thought out details.

If I were looking for a REAL adventure bike to go around the world, cross every sandhole in many 3rd world countries, I'd go Japanese. Something like a DR650 or Honda XR or Kawi KLR that is build since the dawn of time, has parts available all over the world, and is easy to fix yourself. No computer needed, no TuneECU, no Dealertool, no special tools in the kit needed, just a bike you can repair with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, some WD40, JB Weld, and a local village blacksmith.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #49
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
I was mostly concerned with stalling, cutting out or jerkiness at slow speeds.
Not an issue, runs as smooth as can be. When the 2011's first came out the fuel map had to be tweaked a bit, but that's a thing of the past.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #50
phillipsrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'm still waiting

I've had my Tiger for nearly two years and no complaints about how it rides. Love the bike, but I am still curious what was behind Door Number 2, which is the f800. It would have to be pretty damn good to sway my favor away from the Tiger. My dealer said the F800 is more dirt oriented and the Tiger more street oriented. Can't argue since I didn't right the F8, but I will say I've had the Tiger in some fairly nasty dirt situations and it handled them fine. My only complaint is the cost of crashing and breaking parts, but I think the penalty is higher on the Beemer.

There's no way I would take a straight across trade for an F800. I like my Tiger too much. We've already traveled too many miles together. It still puts a wicked smile on my face.

You won't hear my knocking the f8 because I haven't ridden one, but the overwhelming support for the Tiger on this thread doesn't surprise me.
phillipsrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #51
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoo View Post
Forget the specs. The real key is that the mini-GS has absolutely no soul while triumph's triples have more character than a bus full of Marine drill sergeants.

The mini-GS seriously feels like a 125cc scooter even with the motor at full tilt. On the other hand, the tiger reminds you every ride why you're out there putting up with rain, sweat and bad drivers.
This.

I wouldn't say the GS has no soul but the Triumph just has gobs of it.

Both bikes have all of the on and off road capability that I was looking for so the decision was more based n what one put a bigger smile on my face...
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #52
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
That's good to hear. I was mostly concerned with stalling, cutting out or jerkiness at slow speeds.
It can be a bit abrupt of a closed throttle like most efi bikes. No cutting out. That was cured with a software update. In fact the EFI software allows it to pull you along at tickover and you can drive off that smoothly with a twist of the throttle. It'll actually pull up quite a steep hill without any throttle at all much like the anti-stall on a diesel.
To answer the OP question, NO. After having owned a BMW in the past and suffered the results of poorly thought out design I'd never own another one. Especially as some of their models are made in China now, you don't know what you're getting.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #53
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
If I were looking for a REAL adventure bike to go around the world, cross every sandhole in many 3rd world countries, I'd go Japanese. Something like a DR650 or Honda XR or Kawi KLR that is build since the dawn of time, has parts available all over the world, and is easy to fix yourself. No computer needed, no TuneECU, no Dealertool, no special tools in the kit needed, just a bike you can repair with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, some WD40, JB Weld, and a local village blacksmith.

This is spot on and couldn't agree with you more. I have 63,000 km's on my DR650 and just close to 1,000 km's on my Tiger 800. The 2 bikes serve 2 completely different purposes.
BlackBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #54
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
My XC has been with me for 2 years and 21,000 miles - all trouble-free. It has carried me through the desert and across the country.

I guess you can take that as a 'no'.

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #55
wally_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Not an issue, runs as smooth as can be. When the 2011's first came out the fuel map had to be tweaked a bit, but that's a thing of the past.
Not entirely true. My 2013 with only 700 miles on it is having those problems right now.
Waiting for new stepper motor to see if that fixes it.
wally_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #56
Paultergeist
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This is a really interesting thread read for me, as I currently own no motorcycle but have been very seriously considering one. Like most riders on this forum, I am inspired by the dual-world appeal of the "adventure motorcycle" type of bike, though I think I have pretty realistic expectations about the off-road aspects (and most of my riding will be street-oriented).

The question of "What is the right motorcycle for me?" has been bouncing around in my mind for months. While there is not yet a definitive answer, the leading candidates are:

Triumph Tiger XC 800 (probably choice number 1)

BMW F800GS

Suzuki V-Strom (definitely, the less-expensive option)

Threads like this one give me a good opportunity to gather some opinions -- granted, there is no truly *wrong* choice -- to try and figure out the best choice for me.

I appreciate the the opportunity to read what people who already own these bikes think about them. I wanted to say *thanks* to all who have contributed.
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #57
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Sold my MTS1200 this spring and bought an 800xc. A little down on peak power vs the Duc but have not regretted the choice one bit. Runs super smooth, low engine noise (mechanical), brakes are nice, handles well. Funny thing is when I was looking at new bikes this winter it wasn't in my top 5 choices. Researched a bit and thought it was the best for my needs. All she needs is bags and a handlebar swap.
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #58
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
Sold my MTS1200 this spring and bought an 800xc. A little down on peak power vs the Duc but have not regretted the choice one bit. Runs super smooth, low engine noise (mechanical), brakes are nice, handles well. Funny thing is when I was looking at new bikes this winter it wasn't in my top 5 choices. Researched a bit and thought it was the best for my needs. All she needs is bags and a handlebar swap.
Same here. Rode (multiple tmes) the Multi first as that was what I thought I was going to buy (had a gen 1 for 6 yrs). Switched to an adv style bike and selected the f800gs. Couple of months later, I rode the Tiger only because test rides are fun... Bought the bike the next day.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #59
jtmajors OP
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
This is a really interesting thread read for me, as I currently own no motorcycle but have been very seriously considering one. Like most riders on this forum, I am inspired by the dual-world appeal of the "adventure motorcycle" type of bike, though I think I have pretty realistic expectations about the off-road aspects (and most of my riding will be street-oriented).

The question of "What is the right motorcycle for me?" has been bouncing around in my mind for months. While there is not yet a definitive answer, the leading candidates are:

Triumph Tiger XC 800 (probably choice number 1)

BMW F800GS

Suzuki V-Strom (definitely, the less-expensive option)

Threads like this one give me a good opportunity to gather some opinions -- granted, there is no truly *wrong* choice -- to try and figure out the best choice for me.

I appreciate the the opportunity to read what people who already own these bikes think about them. I wanted to say *thanks* to all who have contributed.
You should read this thread too then http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704507
F800 owners would not choose the 800xc. Both sides are pretty darn loyal.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #60
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I am surprised this tread staying quite clear of rows...not the case in referred tread.
I think both bikes are very good for what they meant for. They are different thou.
I noticed in "alternative" tread some folks mention technical reasons that I can't agree with. For example statement about gravity center of Tiger higher than F800 is not really correct - moving 19 liter of fuel from under seat to tank does little for CG move in such bikes. Clearance does, weight of exhaust actually does a lot (beats me why, but I actually experienced it).
One bad thing about CG on Tiger - optional sliding carriage and top box (Triumph) as I found weight whooping 10 kg! I replaced it on mine with aluminium plate and light topbox and difference was impressive. Since I got topbox and sliding carriage for free I actually made money on whole deal :)

Another thing is attempt to populate legend about stalling, based on experience of couple of people who did not update tune in their bikes or did not know about lubrication of stepper motor link.
Similar "urban legends" about F800 - quite a few of my friends have those, noone experienced any horrors with reliability or anythink too expensive to fix. One weak point was immobilizer. It keeps on breaking on couple of GSes my friends own, but I seen this on many bikes.
I am short guy and for me - I did not feel any weight difference between stock GS800 and my Tiger. I also did not feel lack of low down torque. I noticed GS800 a bit better to stand on and Tiger better to sit on - for me. Suspension-wise I see no advantages either side. Etc. Etc. There are lot of subtle differences, some to BMW advantage some to Tiger advantage. In my opinion if most of riding you do is on roads Tiger is better, I guess F800 bit better offroad - but I had too short experience with F800 out of pavement to tell.
So, it is all down to same old - try it, see what fits you best. For me personally - engine, ergos, headlight and alternator power (this is one thing that unquestionably better on Tiger), wind protection with touring screen, how ABS works and and not having to use BMW dealer made choice quite easy.
Another type of comments that puzzles me...dealer network etc.
I think this is VERY specific to location.
Couple of weeks ago I came from 6500 km ride through southern europe - through France down Spain and Portugal and back. We had 1 BMW in group. We stopped in every second big city on our way desperately trying to buy sprockerts/chain kit for humble GS650 (thumper). No single BMW dealership had it except 1 guy in Spain, because he actually was "old style" BMW enthusiast himself and had full garage of bikes he restoring (old Dakar bikes included). He had to order it but managed in 1.5 day. Everywhere else we were told 3 to 10 days waiting required. This is just ridiculous. And funnily enough every time we looked for BMW or KTM (we needed it) dealership we drove past Triumph shop! We even tried to get KTM oil from Triumph shop (no luck of course). Those guys all had consumables like filters, sprockets etc. That came as total surprise to me.
2 years ago while riding in group we had problem with one of bikes in team - 1200K BMW. Guess what we been told about spare part we needed in all 3 BMW dealerships we found? Aha. Wait 10 days. Ended up buying part from Yamaha shop (it was just o-rings!). At same time my friends in Russia have very little choices for Triumph network and excellent support from BMW.
So, if you want dealer network buy Honda or Suzuki. Otherwise "argument invalid" internationally.
Chose what you like, not what people say and you always be OK - my opinion.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote