Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #91
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have ROX risers on my KLR and was planning to do the same.

Looking like the 800xc is the go although had a ride on tiger explorer on Saturday and liked that too!

Btw, does anyone else think the plastic indicator switch is pretty crappy? I would have thought they could do better than that!

Cheers,

Pete

mmmmbeeeeer screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 01:19 AM
mmmmbeeeeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #92
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmbeeeeer View Post
Btw, does anyone else think the plastic indicator switch is pretty crappy? I would have thought they could do better than that!

Cheers,

Pete
What do you want, Gold plate? Mine still works fine after 23000 miles.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #93
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What do you want, Gold plate? Mine still works fine after 23000 miles.
No, the switch just feels like cheap plastic not in keeping with the rest of the bike. Feels like some of the cheap toys my kids have.

Nitpicky? Sure, but if I'm spending upwards of $17k I reckon that's fair enough.

Still, I think this is my pick unless I convince myself to go for the explorer...

P
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #94
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
No, the switch just feels like cheap plastic not in keeping with the rest of the bike. Feels like some of the cheap toys my kids have.

Nitpicky? Sure, but if I'm spending upwards of $17k I reckon that's fair enough.

Still, I think this is my pick unless I convince myself to go for the explorer...

P
Fair enough but plastic is plastic and a lot of the bike is covered in cheap, replaceable plastic.
I think you'll enjoy the 800 more than the Explorer because it just does everything so well. Yes, the TEX has lots more power and is better for two up, maybe, but it's also a lot heavier and thirstier.
Friend of mine bought one of the first Explorers and had problems with it so it went back to Triumph. He now has an 800XC and said the other day that he's really happy with it.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #95
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Quote:
Fair enough but plastic is plastic and a lot of the bike is covered in cheap, replaceable plastic.
I think you'll enjoy the 800 more than the Explorer because it just does everything so well. Yes, the TEX has lots more power and is better for two up, maybe, but it's also a lot heavier and thirstier.
Friend of mine bought one of the first Explorers and had problems with it so it went back to Triumph. He now has an 800XC and said the other day that he's really happy with it.
That's good to hear - I was pretty sure that the 800 was a better choice being lighter and more dirt-worthy. I'm sure that the TEX would be an awesome tourer, but I do want to do a reasonable amount of off-road riding.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #96
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
That's good to hear - I was pretty sure that the 800 was a better choice being lighter and more dirt-worthy. I'm sure that the TEX would be an awesome tourer, but I do want to do a reasonable amount of off-road riding.

Cheers
Oh, it does dirt pretty well.

It takes you to nice places for nice photos

Then this happens turning round!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #97
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Quote:
Then this happens turning round!
Obviously it was just a little tired from riding up that hill - just needed a little rest...
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #98
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
yes

f800gs is the real deal......everything else is a top heavy road oriented clone
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #99
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
And he's already banned.

Somehow I think that the above poster shit on a bunch of threads.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #100
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
Poor misguided fool.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #101
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
I traded my 1050 for an 800 XC. My buddy traded his 1050 for a TEX. Well, he wishes he had the 800 XC. He LOVES the torque of the TEX but after coming back from a trip on some very quick twisties he wishes he had a lighter bike. The 800 XC has plenty of power and is nimble enough to take you off the beaten path some.

To each his own. I thought I would miss my 1050, I don't but for the type of riding I like the 800 XC is perfect. I suspect there will be an 800 XC in my friend's garage next year and someone will aslo end up very happy with his TEX.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #102
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
I traded my 1050 for an 800 XC. My buddy traded his 1050 for a TEX. Well, he wishes he had the 800 XC. He LOVES the torque of the TEX but after coming back from a trip on some very quick twisties he wishes he had a lighter bike. The 800 XC has plenty of power and is nimble enough to take you off the beaten path some.

To each his own. I thought I would miss my 1050, I don't but for the type of riding I like the 800 XC is perfect. I suspect there will be an 800 XC in my friend's garage next year and someone will aslo end up very happy with his TEX.

Is you buddy tall and suited for the larger bike?
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #103
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
......................... the TEX has lots more power and is better for two up, maybe,............... ....................
Maybe, maybe not. My 800xc carried the missus and I 5400 miles to the Grand Canyon and back 2up a few weeks ago. I never wished for more power and I certainly never wished for more weight.

for a little perspective. I once owned a BMW R1150RT. It had only 2 more ponies than the XC along with 200 more pounds. No one ever asked if it was powerful enough for 2up riding.

Yankee Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #104
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
And he's already banned.

Somehow I think that the above poster shit on a bunch of threads.

He did...check his post history. Somebody must have pissed in his wheaties.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #105
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 931
Just to give you an idea, I've been riding on dirt since July on my Tiger 800 XC. I'm still not very good, but with a capable rider, this thing has gone more places than any GS I've seen with a similar caliber or better rider.

I've taken it on dirt roads, forest roads, woods roads, double track, single track, 1/2 track, power lines, sand pits, mud, baby heads, wet grass, and no roads. It will go everywhere, but is only limited by the rider. The areas it has the most difficulty is mud and wet grass. It's a little heavy, and is hard to kick back straight unless you're a really tall or strong dude. If a tire kicks out, it's hard to kick back if you're going too slowThe one time I couldn't go on during the Berkshire Triple on the DS route, another dude that was 6'6" hopped on and rode it right through. Muddy whoops over roots into a corkscrew hill climb over boulders with trees guarding the best line. It's tall, so if you can't get both feet down, it's really a 50/50 chance it's going to fall over if you stop because once your other foot hits, it's too heavy to catch. If you were just good and rode it through, that wouldn't be an issue.

On the Colors in the Catskills event at Hunter Ski area, I did the advanced ride/tour of the mountain. I kept up with the enduros. There was one wrong turn that we took that we kinda scratched our heads at before we went, but we went right up the face of one of those ski hills on some loose rocky shit, and the 4 enduros and me were the only ones at the top (other than crew) Littered about were the other 800GS' and 1200GS' barely 1/4 of the way through. One to nothin
btao is offline   Reply With Quote