ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,398
A couple warm days and a little geocaching

After a long winter all the sudden winter changed to summer over night and we had a beautiful week in the Spokane area. I decided to take advantage of the early warm weather last weekend and headed out right after work Fri.

I keep working on learning to pack light but itís just not happening.

Trying to stay off Hwy 395 and Hwy 2 as I headed north I had a route worked out that would sort of zigzag my way north. That didnít work out the way I wanted since I was looking for a dirt road between Deer Park and Springdale but I ran into a couple of dead end roads instead of the road I wanted. Iíll find it some other time.

I managed to stay of the Hwys other than a few miles even though it wasnít the route I planned. Finally at Chewelah I headed into the Colville National Forest on Flowery Trail.

There is still a little snow up on the ski runs.

Stopped here

People have been decorating the signs.

Stopped for a geocache

Not much further I stopped for another geocache and the GPS is telling me to go in here. OK, I will.

I didnít find the cache but I found this.

Itís not far from the road but you canít see it from the road even knowing itís there.

This looked like a good place for a cache but no luck. Guess Iíll have to return.

And up the road another 5 or so miles I stopped again for a cache. This one had me walking a little further but a nice view was promised so I went for it.

Flowers are starting to bloom.

Oregon grapes making themselves at home in Washington.

I donít know what this is but there were a dozen or more up on the hillside.

While was up on the hill I saw a car drive by on the Flowery Trail then the car turned around, came back and parked in front of the Superbug . That made me very nervous especially when the guy got out of his car and opened his trunk. Not sure what the heck the guy was doing but I started making my way back to the bike and not being at all stealth. Before I got down the hill the car left and I continued on to the bike since I wasnít comfortable leaving it unattended out there. I didnít even look for the geocache but I did enjoy the view.

With it getting late it was time to go find a camp spot. My plan was to head up Winchester Creek, since I knew there were good spots for camping along the creek. I headed up a road I thought would connect with Winchester Creek Road but my GPS started nagging me to turn around so I did after a couple miles.

A short distance down the road I found Winchester Creek Road and realized the road I was on would connect with Winchester and I was about where it connected when I turned around.

The road was nice and the weather was beautiful. It felt so good to be out riding especially since I didnít have to wear numerous layers to keep warm. I was really looking forward to camping.

I found a great campsite and there was even fire wood already piled up and ready to burn.

With the bike unloaded I found a perfect spot in the trees to set up my tent. It was fairly close to the creek and I would be able to listen to the creek as I drifted off to sleep. Well, that was my plan anyway. As I started setting up my tent I discovered I had a tent pole snafu. One of the poles didnít come on the ride with me. I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out if I could set the tent up without it. I discovered I also didnít have bug repellent or the cord I normally have in the bike. Trying to packing light might not be in my best interest, I forget things that are needed.

After a bit of fighting with a tent that wasnít going to go up I decided to head to Newport and get a room. I donít like riding after dark and it was late enough I was really going to be pushing it to get to Newport. There is a geocache near the campsite but I didn't take the time to look for it.

Itís too bad some people leave their garbage behind.

I donít think Toby Keith intended for people to leave red solo cups out littering the countryside after proceeding to party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BKZqGJONH68

I was really pushing it but I made it to Newport just a few minutes after dark.

A little later Iíll be back to tell you about the rest of my ride.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,293
Nice to see you got out to enjoy the weather. What is the width measurement on your set up? I whine about the width of my Rotopax/Wolfman setup but guess I'll quit snivelling.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

About 36" just a tad wider than my handle bars so I need to pay attention to my wide load back there.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Hey LadyBug! Thanks for sharing your ride. Too bad you had to go for the hotel on such a nice day. But, stuff like that happens when you downsize, I know! I'm still learning to downsize onto my XT225. Super fun way to go, though. Less is more.... right? Unless you end up in a hotel room ... Lookin forwrd to the rest of your ride report.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Hi Sector, nice to see you here. Next time I'll be better prepared.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Even though I woke up early I took my time relaxing and waiting for things to warm up some. It was a beautiful clear morning but a little chilly yet. I headed up LeClere Creek road from Newport and into the Kalispel Indian Reservation.

The Usk bridge was exceptionally lovely.

Tromping around in the wet grass left my riding boots cleaner than they have been in a while.

Stopped for a few minutes at the church, which is a much different place of worship than where the Kalispel worshiped years ago.

Iíve never been to a Pow Wow but I would like to attend one.

Next stop

People have been worshiping here for many years and the Kalispel still hold mass at least once a year in the grotto. Much different than the little church I had just stopped at.

Before going to the main cave I wanted to visit the cross. The trail is nice and easy to the caves.

After this the trail got a little more difficult.

I needed to climb this to the upper trail. Itís fairly steep not flat like it looks in the picture.

It did get a little easier after the climb and I was rewarded with some flowers.

And a pretty view.

Four trees behind the cross had these markers on them but I donít know what they are for.

Made it to the cross.

The last time I hiked to the cross was about 15 years ago and there was an easier trail on the opposite side of the cross and I thought that would be the best bet for going back down. The only problem is the ďeasyĒ trail looked harder than the one I had come up. The earth looked very sandy, slippery, and steep. I decided to return the way I came up.

When I got to the downhill portion of the trail I sat on the edge of the trail for a bit contemplating how I was going to get back down.

Even though it looked intimidating I figured if I could get up the darn thing I could get down it. Finally I did by straddling the log and sliding down it. I was carrying a tripod, which didnít help, but I made it down without any problem. I was glad I was wearing riding pants though.

Back to the nice groomed easy trail.

Entrance to the main cave.

It looks like walking into a big mouth using a tongue for a walkway.

The pulpit

Imagine someone talking from the pulpit and looking at this view while listening to the message being delivered.

Time to move on up the road.

The Pend Orielle was very still as I rode along.

The bridge to Ione, WA is pretty with a nice new bright coat of paint.

Le Clere creek (I think)

I like wooden bridges so I needed a picture.

As I got close to this I could feel a cool breeze before I saw the falls. I was past the falls before I saw them so I turned around and went back for a photo. It was one of the many reminders of why I enjoy motorcycles. Feeling the change is the temperatures as you ride. Feeling whatís around is just one of the senses that is stimulated while riding that you donít notice in a car.

Sullivan Lake

My plan was to ride over the mountain to Priest Lake.

I knew I was pushing my luck this early in the season but the road sure was good and mile after mile the windfalls had been cut out.

Sullivan creek was really flowing

Things were looking good. I was about to the top and still no snow.

Cute little mini waterfalls arenít good for the road.

A few little spots of snow didnít seem like a big deal.

Now this seemed like a little bit of a bigger deal.

And this was a big dealÖ. Yep, Iím not getting through.

Time to turn around and go back.

I might return next month and try to make it to the lookout. Iíve never been there and it would be fun to see.

Since I couldnít get over the mountain it was time to stop for lunch. I found a nice campsite to have lunch in.

Yum. Chicken salad and cinnamon apples.

Someone has been scratching on the trees.

I wondered what was damaging the trees. Elk, porcupine, bear, cougarÖ..

Nice to know if I camp here thereís a food container.

Back to Sullivan Lake.

It wasnít as smooth as earlier.

Crossed the pretty orange bridge at Ione. I found it interesting that the deck was painted orange too.

Stopping for the last geocache of the weekend.

Peering through the window of the closed store.

It was a warm day, 80 degrees in the shade.

Found it.

One last shot along the Pend Oreille River.

From there I headed home without any more stops. My original plan had a few other roads and another mountain to try to cross but without my tent I needed to go home.

Next time I will be better prepared and be able to camp.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Mustangshelly
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 502
Good to see

The mighty Superbug all "road-tripped" out. Kinda amazing how much stuff you can get on the DR200. Did I tell you that we stopped at a weigh stsation on our way to Hell's last year? 500 pounds all together! AND, I was still able to cruise betweeen 60-65 on the highway.
Mustangshelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
About 36" just a tad wider than my handle bars so I need to pay attention to my wide load back there.
nothing wrong with a little junk in the trunk. Lol. Nice report. I wish my phone would load ALL the photos.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,461

Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

Great report Ladybug! Thanks for sharing your adventure and beautiful photos, I enjoyed your trip.
Thanks for the good leads on a couple caches along your route. We really enjoy geocaching but have a tendency to not slow down long enough while on the bikes to do more then get a quick photo of the views before moving on... I'm going to make a point to stop and get more smileys this year while on my bike. I'm thinking the Hell's Canyon area might be a good opportunity for some fun finds in June.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,869
Nice report, I like that orange bridge.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,198
great photos!
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Nice report, I like that orange bridge.
Nice report LB. That bridge is cool, and the grate is um, interesting to ride over with full knobbies.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
AUWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Looked like a great ride! Thanks for sharing.
AUW
AUWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,311
Thanks LadyBug, nice report. Glad you got out on an Adventure.
Leaving that tent pole really didn't save you much weight .