Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
What's the best way to carry 5 gallons gas?

I've got the I-10 stretch from El Paso to San Antonio, TX which has about 4 100 mile stretches without a gas station. And if ONE of those station's attendants are sick or not open!!! I need a contingency plan on a motorcycle and my range is about 125 miles now (travelling 2 miles one way every day). When I get on the road, it may get better, but I can't rely on that.

It's a 1658 mile trip (one way and back) to retrieve my goods and other bike in a uhaul, and I don't want to drive 55mph for gas savings on this 550 mile stretch when I could be doing 90mph (it's the speed limit!!) I could save a few hours for a snooze by boogying this stretch. I have 2.75 days of solid driving at 50 mph average (including gas stops). TX is the best place to make good time, so does anyone have something better than the Pep boys red can (with an $8 hose of course).

I don't know if just tie-strapping a Pep boys red plastic fuel can ($17) to my sissy bar is the best or not. I've seen some cool 4 gallons containers like plastic square nuts you put on Jeep spare tires, but those are $200 (they are definitely not that cool!)

Any suggestions from you gurus who do this sometimes, would be greatly appreciated!
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,446
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...f6651c075bbe62

Get a couple of these and strap them down.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
If you just want it for that one stretch of highway, it's going to be hard to beat the price of a cheap 5 gallon can strapped to the sissy bar, or rack, or seat. Nothing wrong with it, it works and gets the job done. I have done it in the past. I would probably buy the can right before I got to the stretch of road where I thought I needed it. If I found it awkward to carry I would discard it (give it away to someone) when I was done with it.

If you want something permanent, and plumed in, for convenience. Then get a Tour Tank or something similar. Here is a picture of mine.

Walter
That has stayed at home."

Walterxr650l screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 09:50 PM
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Urban Toreador
Banned

Oddometer: 56
A bladder. You can store it away when not in use.

Urban Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Expensive way:

http://www.mooreparts.com/store/prod...de-In-The-USA/

How I'd do it:

Looking roughly at what you posted wouldn't a 2.5 gallon be enough? Range is 125, plus say another 100 miles on 2.5 gallons. Hmm... You're right.

I did this before on my Sportster, I used a 2.5 gallon can. When you check them out at the store make sure they seem sturdy enough and don't leak at all. I always left mine in the sun a few days prior to make sure it would hold pressure before leaving. Straps will squeeze it and make any leaks worse.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
rotopax dot com
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
rotopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
rotopax dot com
They are also sold by kriega: http://www.kriega.us/rotopax-dual-sp...el-water-cans/
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Strominid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I've always found gas along the interstates is pretty reliable relative to strapping a Molotov cocktail to the bike.
Strominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strominid View Post
I've always found gas along the interstates is pretty reliable relative to strapping a Molotov cocktail to the bike.
As opposed to the one between your legs?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Wow! Thanks for all the state of art suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Pep Boys $25 tall 5 gallon military fuel can with the CA CARB approved spout and a filler tube for $8. The bladders was interesting since I worked at an aircraft and oil boom fuel cell factory, but they are pretty expensive. Those Rotopax are nice (and expensive too), but they do have a nice short foot print and for water too, but...$$$

But if it don't fit, ... the Rotopax will be looking better. I'll have to get measurements for the military fuel can to see if it is less than 5" wide to put on back seat next to sissy bar. I'll need HD springs front and back and a stabilzer on my economy tourer too so it won't eat my new tires up, since it's maxed out now somewhat.

I'll have to think more about the long term expensive solutions, when I really need it. It would be a permanent fire hazard incorporated in the vehicle chassis design, and I would not want to jump to some bad decision quickly on that.

Thanks for all of your great suggestions! Rattlesnakes, here I come.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strominid View Post
I once went about 175 miles on highway in Oklahoma without seeing a gas station. The fuel can saved me, as I was on a sportster with about a 125 mile range.

OP, I'm guessing by the way you describe your bike you have a cruiser? I don't know what type of luggage you have already but throw over saddle bags with a 2.5 gallon can in each would probably be better than a 5 gallon can on the back. Might be something to consider. My 2.5 gallon can will not leak at all. Sitting in the garage now it looks like a balloon from the air building up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jules083 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:06 AM
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
TX is the best place to make good time, so does anyone have something better than the Pep boys red can (with an $8 hose of course).

I don't know if just tie-strapping a Pep boys red plastic fuel can ($17) to my sissy bar is the best or not. I've seen some cool 4 gallons containers like plastic square nuts you put on Jeep spare tires, but those are $200 (they are definitely not that cool!)

Any suggestions from you gurus who do this sometimes, would be greatly appreciated!
For my trip to Alaska I bought a 3 gallon boat gas tank. Cost about $30. Take a funnel.
Noone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
rride OP
Honda NH 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
For my trip to Alaska I bought a 3 gallon boat gas tank. Cost about $30. Take a funnel.
Got any links?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Got any links?

Thanks!
No, I just went down to a marina. Check out BassPro (www.basspro.com) they sell boats so they should have tanks. Boat tanks (smaller ones) are usually long and flat as opposed to tall.
Noone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
that's easy."...

In the back of a truck.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote