Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #76
Avenger069
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I am really digging this thread ArmyJoe. This is the first thread I subscribed to on this site. Partly because there are so many similarities to myself and also because it's just been great reading it.

Here is why I connected with this thread. Like you: I have WR250R. I am in the midwest (Michigan). I am in a reserve component of the military (Michigan National Guard). I am Signal. I have been to Ft. Gordon many times and I may be there again for 6 months or more next year.

I am new to motorcycles and have put it off for most of my life (except for some dirt bikes when I was younger). After turning 40 I bought this bike. I wanted something that can go anywhere. I do know that if end up back at Ft. Gordon next year I want to bring my WR and learn from your experiences there.

Thanks for the posting and keep it up. I am really enjoying the story and pics.
Avenger069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #77
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
i used to play on the tank trails when i was stationed at fort benning ga 2003-2006 baker 1/15 3rd Infantry division rock of the marne
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #78
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Hunkered down for the evening five miles northwest of Crandall, Georgia. One bar on phone and battery dropping fast. Will try to update tomorrow.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #79
SemperFi71
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Lunch at Tellico Grains Bakery

It was nice to meet you today at the bakery.

It's good to hear you made it to your next spot and are hopefully warm and dry.

We found our way to the Starr Mountain trailhead. Since it was raining we didn't meet a single vehicle. It was great! It was a wonderful trip. You will have to try it next time you are in the area. It wasn't far from Tellico at all. It had beautiful views. We imagine it will be an exceptional trip for the fall. We will have to plan something to help get past the pummeling UT seems to always get by Alabama the 3rd week in October.

Well, next time you're back in the area, let us know.

Have a safe trip tomorrow,
Ms. Jarhead
SemperFi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #80
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

For what it's worth, Helen, Georgia is everything I expected it to be. I'm walking around in a T-shirt, BDU pants, and flip flops (my boots are soaked) and I fit right in.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:52 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #81
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
helen is the only place i found Erdinger beer... whick i happen to like.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #82
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Nobody said shit about having to cross a damn river.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #83
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger069 View Post
I am really digging this thread ArmyJoe. This is the first thread I subscribed to on this site. Partly because there are so many similarities to myself and also because it's just been great reading it.

Here is why I connected with this thread. Like you: I have WR250R. I am in the midwest (Michigan). I am in a reserve component of the military (Michigan National Guard). I am Signal. I have been to Ft. Gordon many times and I may be there again for 6 months or more next year.

I am new to motorcycles and have put it off for most of my life (except for some dirt bikes when I was younger). After turning 40 I bought this bike. I wanted something that can go anywhere. I do know that if end up back at Ft. Gordon next year I want to bring my WR and learn from your experiences there.

Thanks for the posting and keep it up. I am really enjoying the story and pics.
As long as you're not a Michigan fan, we can be friends.

You might come to Ft Gordon for six months? Sounds like you're putting a packet in for Warrant Officer.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #84
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi71 View Post
It was nice to meet you today at the bakery.

It's good to hear you made it to your next spot and are hopefully warm and dry.

We found our way to the Starr Mountain trailhead. Since it was raining we didn't meet a single vehicle. It was great! It was a wonderful trip. You will have to try it next time you are in the area. It wasn't far from Tellico at all. It had beautiful views. We imagine it will be an exceptional trip for the fall. We will have to plan something to help get past the pummeling UT seems to always get by Alabama the 3rd week in October.

Well, next time you're back in the area, let us know.

Have a safe trip tomorrow,
Ms. Jarhead
It was great to meet you both. I look foward to being back up there again.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #85
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

All the pictures from this trip have been moved from Photobucket to SmugMug and Thursday's write-up has been edited with new links. I'll get the rest of the trip up over the next few days.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:50 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #86
Avenger069
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
As long as you're not a Michigan fan, we can be friends.

You might come to Ft Gordon for six months? Sounds like you're putting a packet in for Warrant Officer.
Lol...yeah I have to root for Michigan. However, you guys have good deals on motorcycles and I did buy my WR250R in Ohio. I am still rocking an Ohio temporary plate.

I am a 255A Warrant now but I am trying to get into the 255S school down there which is a six month course. If things work out I will be doing about ten months of active duty next year between that, the staff course at Rucker, and Signal staff course follow-on back at Gordon.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #87
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger069 View Post
Lol...yeah I have to root for Michigan. However, you guys have good deals on motorcycles and I did buy my WR250R in Ohio. I am still rocking an Ohio temporary plate.

I am a 255A Warrant now but I am trying to get into the 255S school down there which is a six month course. If things work out I will be doing about ten months of active duty next year between that, the staff course at Rucker, and Signal staff course follow-on back at Gordon.
I'm a 255N currently down here for WOAC. I assume you know Mike Yokie. I went through WOBC with him and he's currently in the 255S course.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #88
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
ArmyJoe Yesterday 02:18 PM
Nobody said shit about having to cross a damn river.
I think I know where you are talking about.

Glad you are enjoying the ride.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #89
Avenger069
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I'm a 255N currently down here for WOAC. I assume you know Mike Yokie. I went through WOBC with him and he's currently in the 255S course.
Small world. Yes, Mike and I are currently assigned on the same team. I will probably see him in a couple of weeks up in Grayling for a three day drill.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #90
ArmyJoe OP
Studly Adventurer

GTFO 2013, Day 2 - July 5

I was prepared to camp when I arrived at Kickstand Lodge the night before, but with the rain, I figured there would be a few cancellations. I asked Mo, the owner, if there was room in the bunkhouse. She said there were two guys already in there, but said I could ask them if I could crash in there too. Since they were also tent campers that upgraded, they had no problem letting me grab one of the six beds.

When I got inside, the place looked like a yard sale with all the wet motorcycle gear on the floor and hanging from the walls.

KP and Paul were visiting from Missouri and weren't about to let the rain spoil their weekend. Thanks guys!

I woke about 8:30 AM. After packing my gear and getting dressed, it was about 10 AM. I dropped $30 in the donation can to cover my lodging, last night's dinner, and a beer. I made a stop in Robbinsville at the slowest McDonalds ever for a bite to eat and wifi and then it was back on the road.

Before long, I was at the start of the Cherohala Skyway.

But what do we say to the Cherohala? "Not today!" I headed off down one of the many gravel roads in the area.

I found for the most part, forest roads are great for travel, but they suck for views. Rather than bore you with more photos of my bike parked in the middle of yet another gravel road, here's some other photos.

Around lunch time, I arrived in Tellico Plains. Having been there before, I went straight to Tellico Grains for lunch. Pulling up outside, I wasn't surprised to see two other inmates were here as well.

Inside I met Ken and Terry (SemperFi71). They're lucky enough to live in the area.

On the way out, I saw that Ken had a cover on his Wolfman tank bag. I didn't get one with mine, but he said he got it at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters.

I went across the street to meet Mike, but he didn't have any covers in stock. While I had his attention, I asked him about the Witt Road creek crossings. With all the rain, I was kind of concerned. I don't have a good track record when it comes to water and the last thing I wanted to do was drown the bike in the middle of nowhere. Mike assured me there hadn't been a lot of rain in the area. He also warned me about the fourth crossing and its exposed bedrock. He advised me to either go left or right and to definitely stay out of the middle, especially if the bedrock was underwater. He even pulled up a fail video from advrider.com to reinforce the point. Armed with this knowledge, I thanked him for his time and headed out.

As I came to each creek, I dismounted and scouted the terrain. The fourth crossing looked kind of iffy. As I feared, the water was a little high. The left spot had a deep hole that I thought I could clear. The right spot looked low, but the ripple of the current made it difficult to see the bottom. I was planning to go left, but changed my mind at the last minute. You can see the results for yourself.

Note - Video is PG-13 due to the use of one F-word.

With a new-found sense of confidence, I headed off down the road to my unknown camping destination. Along the way, I stopped to move this guy to the other side of the road.

More random photos:

About 6 PM, I stopped for gas and Subway. Looking at the GPS, I started looking at the TET waypoints for a camping area. Not far from me was someplace labeled "GA Hick." I found the name amusing, so I made that my goal for the night.

I got there about 7 PM, just as a storm was rolling in. I quickly got set up, listened to some music on my GPS / MP3 player, and ate my dinner.

I also checked the weather radar. It looks like it'll be a wet night.

Checking my GPS, I see I had 461 miles for the trip, 150 for the day, and loads of elevation changes.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 11:26 AM