User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,649
X Box One

The announcement is going on right now, the site is down but if you have a 360 I'm pretty sure you can watch the video.

Basically they're trying to make X Box your complete media center, even more so than the 360.

It's also your cable box now.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Posted on Reddit, but captioned as 4chan reacts to xb1:

MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,345
Wow, it seems Microsoft really doesn't care one bit about potential non-US customers. I can't see people in Europe or Asia being interested in what are some very Eagleland-centric services.

And if they ever thought of making a bridgehead in Japan... Yeah, well, they can forget it. It's Mothra vs. Gojira Sony vs. Nintendo over there from now on, even more than it was before.

The ExBawx Won is basically the epitome of US high-school-senior/college-freshman/sophomore dudebro all-in-one lameathon.

Oh, and the presentation itself was boring as fxxx.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
Wow, it seems Microsoft really doesn't care one bit about potential non-US customers. I can't see people in Europe or Asia being interested in what are some very Eagleland-centric services.

And if they ever thought of making a bridgehead in Japan... Yeah, well, they can forget it. It's Mothra vs. Gojira Sony vs. Nintendo over there from now on, even more than it was before.

The ExBawx Won is basically the epitome of US high-school-senior/college-freshman/sophomore dudebro all-in-one lameathon.

Oh, and the presentation itself was boring as fxxx.
Why?

They do it regionally so all they need is apps for the local big name services.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Tman66
Shawn's bro

Oddometer: 8,449
Fuck Europe
Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Looking at this...it's basically as good as a PC with a mid range GTX card.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Why?

They do it regionally so all they need is apps for the local big name services.
Doesn't really work that way in Yurop. It's more complicated. The set-top box model doesn't exist, at least not in its US-style incarnation (which is what the XBoxOne is). Market dynamics are different. Suffice to say that MS has handed Sony a pretty big win in every region that isn't the US (they'll be totally dominant in the US, though; the all-in-one model works there). Japan will, again, be a brutal battle between Sony and Ninty, just like in the '90s.

Edit: SNE stock trending upward, +8.8%, MSFT stock trending downward, -0.7%.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Doesn't really work that way in Yurop. It's more complicated. The set-top box model doesn't exist, at least not in its US-style incarnation (which is what the XBoxOne is). Market dynamics are different. Suffice to say that MS has handed Sony a pretty big win in every region that isn't the US (they'll be totally dominant in the US, though; the all-in-one model works there).
So at worst it's like the 360 (streaming apps, youtube, browsers, etc.)....seems like they're still up on PS4 with roughly equal specs and they have the Kinect which is way better than move.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

PS4 has quite better specs. More GPU power by 50% (1.8-something vs 1.2 TeraFLOPS). Better RAM (very-high bandwidth GDDR5 vs. DDR3; the memory type was a very late reveal, kept tightly under wraps by Sony). It's just an overall more powerful machine. In places where MS services won't be fully functional (meaning pretty much everywhere except the US) the PS4 will offer the better package.

And Kinect isn't that big a deal anymore. Ninty and their Wii took the cream off that one (yeah, really old saying) 8 years ago.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
PS4 has quite better specs. More GPU power by 50% (1.8-something vs 1.2 TeraFLOPS). Better RAM (very-high bandwidth GDDR5 vs. DDR3; the memory type was a very late reveal, kept tightly under wraps by Sony). It's just an overall more powerful machine. In places where MS services won't be fully functional (meaning pretty much everywhere except the US) the PS4 will offer the better package.

And Kinect isn't that big a deal anymore. Ninty and their Wii took the cream off that one (yeah, really old saying) 8 years ago.
PS4 is trying to push the move.

And we'll see, PS3 had a lot over 360 but in actual games it wasn't that big of a difference. The architecture was a PITA and that has been removed but how much more will they get out of it is yet to be seen. And IIRC Sony owns Japan but it's pretty even for Europe with this generation.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
PS4 is trying to push the move.
The Move is more of a WiiMote. I suspect it's a Japanese affectation.

Quote:
And we'll see, PS3 had a lot over 360 but in actual games it wasn't that big of a difference.
It actually had less, at least GPU-wise. The 360's ATI-designed Xenos was one of the first consumer-series chips with unified shaders (no more separate pixel/vertex pipelines). It also had a unified memory architecture, that allowed faster information transfer between the CPU and the GPU. What the PS3 had more were CPU's (6 of them), but in a crappy daisy-chained, main processor -> secondary processors setup that was crazy hard to programme for. The PS4 and the XBoxOne have identical guts (AMD Jaguar-based 8-core CPU, AMD Graphics Core Next-based GPU, unified memory), apart for the PS4 having more raw power (18 vs. 12 Compute Units) and a different memory type: the memory type currently found in graphics cards, which used to be too expensive and space-consuming to make (apparently Hynix finally managed to fix the yield issues).

Quote:
And IIRC Sony owns Japan but it's pretty even for Europe with this generation.
Japan is still Nintendoland, at least in the handheld area. The home console is closer to even split, but Ninty has an advantage over that as well. Europe is mostly Sony, apart for the UK, whose trends tend to mirror the US, though given this reveal it might move towards Sony as well.

UnderNewOwnership screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 01:44 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
The Move is more of a WiiMote. I suspect it's a Japanese affectation.

It actually had less, at least GPU-wise. THe 360's ATI-designed Xenos was one of the first consumer-series chips with unified shaders (no more separate pixel/vertex pipelines). What the PS3 had more were CPU's (6 of them), but in a crappy daisy-chained, main processor -> secondary processors setup that was crazy hard to programme for. The PS4 and the XBoxOne have identical guts (AMD Jaguar-based 8-core CPU, AMD Graphics Core Next-based GPU), apart for the PS4 having more raw power (18 vs. 12 Compute Units) and a different memory type: the memory type currently used in graphics cards, which used to be too expensive and space-consuming to make (apparently Hynix finally managed to fix the yield issues).

Japan is still Nintendoland, at least in the handheld area. The home console is closer to even split, but Ninty has an advantage over that as well. Europe is mostly Sony, apart for the UK, whose trends tend to mirror the US, though given this reveal it might move towards Sony as well.
Last market share number I could get was 2011 with Microsoft just edging Sony for Europe. Total sales for both were about 24 million.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
Last market share number I could get was 2011 with Microsoft just edging Sony for Europe. Total sales for both were about 24 million.
Sony has passed the 30 million mark in PAL zones in mid-December. X360 was noticeably lower (20-something mill), apart for the UK, where numbers stood at ~8 million X360 to PS3's 5.something.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Sony has passed the 30 million mark in PAL zones in mid-December. X360 was noticeably lower (20-something mill), apart for the UK, where numbers stood at ~8 million X360 to PS3's 5.something.
Are those other numbers minus the UK as well? Because otherwise I wonder what lead to the sudden preference of the PS3.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
Are those other numbers minus the UK as well? Because otherwise I wonder what lead to the sudden preference of the PS3.
I suspect both the PS3 and X360 totals include the UK (which is Europe's largest single market, due to sharing language with the US, thus few localisation/translation issues). PS3 getting some EMEA traction was sorta news circa autumn last year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: