User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
e-start a must?

I say yes. Seen many of fool wear themselves out kick starting (or trying to) bikes in tough single track.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
I've seen more fools suffer the 'click click click' of a dead battery.

but I must ask, is there a reason you felt like you had to make your opinion on the matter public?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I've seen more fools suffer the 'click click click' of a dead battery.

but I must ask, is there a reason you felt like you had to make your opinion on the matter public?
Looking at a bike without it and cannot decide if I should just holdout and save up for one that has both kick and e start
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I say yes. Seen many of fool wear themselves out kick starting (or trying to) bikes in tough single track.
Gees, I wonder what we all did in the 70's and 80's with heavier bikes and no e-start?

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Once you have e-start, it kind of spoils you.

My coworker invited me out to a vintage dirt bike ride - I spent a lot of time trying to kick that thing over. Of course every time he did it, it looked so easy...but I never really got the hang of it.

There were also plenty of guys that couldn't kick start their bikes, and they had to either push/tow start - not much of an improvement over dead battery.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Ever kick a stalled bike in baby heads, wedged between boulders, up hill on tight single, off camber .... you want the push button. Watched a buddy dump a kick only Yammi 426 hundreds of times in really shitty spots in Moab after a stall.

Of course the best of both worlds is kick and magic button like my 2002 KTM 520.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Our man in Bangkok
mud plugger

Oddometer: 2
Welcome all to the 21st century

Electric start is not a necessity... but it is very nice. Especially after a flame out, balanced on top of a rock and with no feet to spare (it does happen).
However, It should be backed up with a kick starter.
KTM enduro bikes give you both.. KTM MX bikes generally give you the choice of one. There are other brands... but the message is the same.
E-start. Super nice, but not essential. If you have one... have kick also.

Yes, there was life before e-start, but there was also a time when you crank started cars.... All you e-start haters, did you crank your car this morning?
Didn't think so :)
Our man in Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
After several years of not owning a kick starter bike I found a clean xr400 on craigslist and ask myself the same question. I'd say it depends on how and where your going to use the bike.

If money is no object then certainly get a new bike with both but I find the xr4 and the recently purchased 650r to be very easy to start and very rarely require a second kick.

I use them for multiday trips but not as local commuters so when I get one out I'm going riding and have the right boots etc. which helps.

For reference purposes I'm 57 and I almost didn't buy the bike solely because it didn't have the button I had used for so many years, I'm really glad I didn't let it stop me.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
I just bought my first kickstart-only bike a few months ago, a KLR250. When I first bought it, it would take a couple dozen kicks to get started. After cleaning the carbs, replacing and adjusting the carb jets, replacing a few parts, and adjusting the valves, it starts cold after three or four kicks, sometimes fewer, and once warmed up, it'll start on the first kick, once in awhile the second. For me, I'm fine with that. Sure, pushing a button is nice, but giving a few kicks isn't a big deal to me. That being said, there have been a few times where I stalled it on a hill and simply didn't have the footing to kickstart it... In those few cases, having the button would be very nice.

In the end, I'm happy with the kickstart and would buy another kickstart-only bike in the future. However, if given a choice between kick and electric start, I'd pick the button.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Looking at a bike without it and cannot decide if I should just holdout and save up for one that has both kick and e start
Having both is best. While witnessing a buddy on a BMW G450X demo bike stall in a holler between two hills, it quickly dawned on us how important it is to have a kickstarter, since the BMW had only the button. This was a newish bike with what should have been a newish battery, but it would not crank the hot motor. Luckily he got it restarted after a cooling off period, but that incident took that bike off our lists.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Having both is best. While witnessing a buddy on a BMW G450X demo bike stall in a holler between two hills, it quickly dawned on us how important it is to have a kickstarter, since the BMW had only the button. This was a newish bike with what should have been a newish battery, but it would not crank the hot motor. Luckily he got it restarted after a cooling off period, but that incident took that bike off our lists.
This +1000.

I can understand the real pros who already take their sidestand off and run carbon bodywork being worried about the weight penalty of both. For 99% of riders in the real world, having both makes sense, unless it's something so big you won't be kicking it over (in which case, just give it a very reliable starter motor!)
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,426
I agree, both is best.

But, in my mid-60s, with knees that are joined with cat-gut and good intentions, I ain't gonna kick much, nor often.

The kicker is optional for me, electic foot is mandatory.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
My Honda XR is usually easy to kick start. Having electric start is nice but not necessary. If I was interested in a bike without electric start, Id go for it.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Elec leg isn't mandatory just a personal preference luxury. Don't know about kicking a stalled dirt bike while balancing on top of a rock...I don't play there. Most bikes I've owned since the 60's were kick only or lately kick and elec. The key to owning a kick bike is keeping the motor in good condition and "always" in tune.
At my age I like elec start but not mandatory for my uses. On a side note: don't think if you kill the battery that you can still kick start it. Unless you're running a magneto ignition you still need somewhat of a battery charge to provide spark to get her lit. But if you are running a magneto...an excellent state of tune is absolutely critical. Get lax on maint, best to carry good walking shoes.
If you're normally fit and healthy an elec starter is a very nice luxury but not mandatory. Maintenance on either system IS mandatory.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,102
Been taking them off my 2 strokes and selling them for yrs now.

For a hard to start 4 stroke. Yes need one