Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
depends on the bike, on my wr250r I never missed the kick starter. The stock battery had enough juice to start it dozens of times in the single track while running the headlight.

On my ktm 2 stroke, I pulled the battery out and use the kicker only. Reason is it was designed as a fancy light weight race bike, so the starter makes the worst kind of noises every time I used it, didn't matter how I shimmed the gears or lubed them, grease, oil, etc.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I have a XT550 that is kick start only. It starts pretty easy and hasn't caused me any problems, but I still miss that little button.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,328
I will say with the big 4 strokes and super tall seat heights today, e-start is something you won't want to be without unless you're 6'6" or taller and can get good leverage on the kicker. And even then, on the carbed bikes, you can wear yourself out kicking them if they're flooded.

E Start for me everytime.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #19
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
I had a AJS 500 single,with high compression piston.
It would turn you into a puddle of sweat,in the winter.
When it wasn't trying to launch you!
E start evermore. :)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
No magic button= must have well tuned bike.I have a xr650r that I put an aftermarket camshaft in .This removed the auto compression release.I make bets that people cant start it and win every time.It usually starts 3rd kick cold and 1st kick hot.This does not bother me.The ignition system is wired independently from the rest of the bike and doesnt use 12v.I like it that way.Bike I would replace it with would be a husky 630-6 speeds and e button.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Whenever this issue comes up, I always see the old guys chime in with "thats all we had back when men were men" or some such thing. And while I can't refute that, you also didn't have 36" seat heights on many of those bikes. As a guy with a 30"inseam, kickstarting a modern bike on the side of a hill, especially when it's hot or non-compliant, has led to more damage, frustration, tip overs, and cursing than I want to deal with. I roll start it every chance I get. The only times I havent been able to pop the clutch is in mud or with the paddle tire mounted. All over things being equal, the kickstart has caused me more headaches than a dead battery ever has.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I dont have a problem with a kick start only bike. Once its properly tuned, and you get the method to starting one, they are easy to kick over.

Ideally I think it would be nice if a bike had both.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote