User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Hotzmonster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Helmet question

I'm looking at dual purpose helmets and have a quick question I think I know the answer to, but when it comes to my head, I'd like to be sure. Is an Arai $700 helmet any safer than a Bell or HJC that costs $180, or is it just a matter of comfort, features, etc.?
Hotzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotzmonster View Post
I'm looking at dual purpose helmets and have a quick question I think I know the answer to, but when it comes to my head, I'd like to be sure. Is an Arai $700 helmet any safer than a Bell or HJC that costs $180, or is it just a matter of comfort, features, etc.?
Comfort, and features. Keep in mind; comfort matters. The helmet you wear is much better than the one you leave at home because it isn't comfortable. Go to a big dealership and try as many different helmets on as you can. Walk around with them on for a while. Then decide how to spend your money.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Vstrom650e
Banned

Oddometer: 101
We purchased the Schuberth C3 and C3W and find them very comfortable and quiet. The comm kit works great as well, she is talking to me all the time. Is that a good thing? I listen to the GPS commands and music but she does chirp info time to time.

I hope that helps a bit.
Vstrom650e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,848
Have a look at this site:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

Some low priced helmets score very highly.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,679
Look at fit and comfort first features second IMO....

I have had some cheap helmets that worked and fit fine but they didn't seem to hold up. My current Bell was very cheap $80 on sale and it is getting replaced because the seals on the visor are falling off and its very noisy.

I can't bring myself to spend $700 on a helmet but $300 is doable.

I just ordered a RPHA (HJC) Max because MotorcycleGear.com has certain colors and sizes for $315 shipped. Thats $100 less than Revzilla...I plan on doing a quick review when I get a few miles on it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,150
If they're SNELL or ECE rated, than you're pretty much only paying for comfort and features when buying the higher end models. When I'm buying a helmet, at a minimum it must be SNELL or ECE rated. From there, it all comes down to how much additional features are worth to me. My current road helmet is a Bell RS-1 that I bought on closeout for $200. It's a great helmet, but not as nice as a Shoei or Arai when compared side by side. However, it does what I need it to do, so I'm not in a hurry to replace it. This being said, I plan to splurge and get one of the plush expensive lids when it's time to replace this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom650e View Post
We purchased the Schuberth C3 and C3W and find them very comfortable and quiet. The comm kit works great as well, she is talking to me all the time. Is that a good thing? I listen to the GPS commands and music but she does chirp info time to time.

I hope that helps a bit.
How on earth does this even come close to answering his question? You've just told him that you like your expensive lid.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I recently bought a helmet for dualsporting, an AGV AX-8 Dual Evo. Very, very well made and thought out helmet. Almost zero lift from the visor and comes in cost wise right in the middle.

Nice review of it at webbikeworld.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote