Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,253
Just had back surgery- should I wear a belt now?

Just the typical discectomy from a big enough herniation to cause foot drop- in of all choices, my left foot. I can still shift with motocross boots (at least was able to just before the surgery) and I've still got a few months left of rehab, but I wondered if when I start riding again if I should wear a belt or something to support my back?

I used to wear a weight belt when I was a younger and much stronger man in the gym. However, I stopped a number of years ago based on concerns of not building enough core strength.

Obviously rehab is going to be all about building core strength, but I'm just wondering if I need an extra bit of caution for those really long riding days.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
rockhopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I had a fused spine following a trauma last Oct, i wear a spine protector now for all my cycling- but only as insurance- cant take anymore surgery! build you core - make a MASSIVE difference to riding as well as day to day strength and balance etc

Chris
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
GeorgeD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Just the typical discectomy from a big enough herniation to cause foot drop- in of all choices, my left foot. I can still shift with motocross boots (at least was able to just before the surgery) and I've still got a few months left of rehab, but I wondered if when I start riding again if I should wear a belt or something to support my back?

I used to wear a weight belt when I was a younger and much stronger man in the gym. However, I stopped a number of years ago based on concerns of not building enough core strength.

Obviously rehab is going to be all about building core strength, but I'm just wondering if I need an extra bit of caution for those really long riding days.

Hi, had the same surgery and left foot drop 4 years ago.
Each case is different though. You should definitely consult your surgeon about when and if you should ride motorcycle again.
I was told after 3 months I can start riding but in reality after 1 year I managed to ride without pains and problems.

To answer your question: yes, I use a belt. Not something fancy. A normal one from Dainese that covers the lower back. I have realized that the belt helps me as following: it keeps my back warm - doesn't get cold from the wind. This helps me a lot and I don't feel uncomfortable.

All the best, take care and wishes to ride as soon as possible!
GeorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Belt

I have 4 bad discs in my lower back, but have not had any operations yet. I have been this way for about 15 years . I wear a belt if my ride is more than 1/2 hour. I also wear it when riding my ATV and long trips in the car.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
longtallsally OP
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,253
Thanks, guys. I did the follow up with the surgeon today and he was very confident everything is going to be back to normal- it just might take a couple more months.

I forgot to ask about a belt, but he said I can start physio work in 2 weeks.

It seems posture is more important than a lot of things and the buzzing now is a good thing since the nerve is starting to figure out how to work everything correctly. Even the incision has sealed up nicely (it's only about 3 inches long), so it seems that I should be good to go.

The doc says I should be able to go back to being fully functional (to the degree I can even go nuts in the gym again if I wish), but I tend to err on the side of caution due to the fact that I get tired of recovering from surgery (last knee surgery was 6 months before I could walk again), so I'm trying to figure out how to be more protective of my back for long and/or dirt rides.