Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
There are still good deals to be had... even when buying a motorcycle from a total waste-of-space moron.

So, your house is falling down, you're hardly dresed, your bike is broke, your car is broke, and you just got fired. The bad news, your bike is a piece if crap. The good news, you're likely to take my low ball offer.

If you can buy it cheap enough, and you like fixing bikes, then an old hunk of rusty junk bike isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I bought a 1978 Harley shovelhead from a guy like I described above in this post. The bike was rusty, motor kicked over, but no spark. Wires hanging everywhere, dented tins, missing some parts, black spray paint all over... but i paid $500, and it had a good title. I spent about 3 months and $2000 fixing it, but in the end I had exactly the bike I wanted for WAY less than I could have bought it for in decent condition. Plus, since I went through the motor, tranny, and every nut and bolt on the whole bike, I know its solid (now that i fixed it) and I would ride it anywhere.

I also had a similar situation with a 1978 xt500 that I paid $100 for. Yeah, I ended up re-building the motor, replacing the tank, fenders, and most other parts, but i got a good title, and had the bike on the road for less money than what nice ones are selling for in my area.

To me, the more broke and busted the bike is the better, as long as the price is really low. It doesnt really matter what (if any) maintinance they did, if you are going to re-build the whole bike anyway.

Its the people who try to sell rusty turds for the price of a nice running bike that I dont understand...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
of course it's their property and they can ask whatever they want, but........

to me sportster's are frustrating. (maybe because I'm interested in one)
there seems to be no correlation between miles, age, or the shape it's in and price. $3500 and up regardless.

even the hopeless cases are way over priced.

there's one sportster that's been on the local CL for years that's got a bent frame and looks like it's been sitting for many years terrible pictures (that's a whole other thread) and the person hasn't budged on the price.$2800. Another one that's been on the CL for many months, if not a year or so, complete basket case, and the baskets have been stored outside uncovered, with no title, $1800. Not that I'm interested in these, but it amuses me.

most of the ones that are curious to me aren't anything I'm interested in. It just makes me wonder what's going on with the person.

A tricked out ruckus scooter gets reposted nearly everyday with the same $5500 asking price. does the seller really think someone is going to pay $5500 for a scooter?

Suzuki gn400, looks to be in good shape, unusual bike, but $3800 seems unrealistic.
I see these kinds of things. I should note that someone has been trying to sell a 1986 Honda Rebel 450 for at least a year for prices ranging from $2,800-3,500. Faithfully reposted every couple of days. It looks like a beautiful bike, however it was a slow mover when new and I doubt it is on most peoples short list. A pristine mid 80s Japanese motorcycle shouldn't ever be above $2,500 and rarely above $2,000, a few collectors or very desirable models excepting.

I couldn't get someone to look at my 2007 DR 650 over the course of 2 years. I only had two lookey loos and both were in the initial stages of research and didn't intend to buy at the time (both nice guys). I was below blue book and below what they are priced at on here (started at $3,300, last listed $2,700, finally traded it in for $2,700). I tried different pictures, different ad text. For some reason I couldn't get much interest.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I've been laid up with a bulging disk / pinched nerve, so I've had a lot of time to look at the ole' CL. it's fun to 'give' myself a money amount and find the best deal out of all the bikes listed for that amount. it's interesting the disparity between the best bike for the price and the most unrealistic priced bike. sorry if that's a little off topic.

dr650's are often the best priced bikes. Lot's of good deals for them. I wonder why that is.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
dr650's are often the best priced bikes. Lot's of good deals for them. I wonder why that is.
Most people shopping that market segment are under the flawed impression that the KLR is better. They definitely sold and continue to sell better, but the DR is a much better bike.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
i very much agree about the dr being the better bike. I had written, but deleted it, that klr's used to be plentiful at good prices, but that has changed. I've often wondered what effect the popularity of this site has had on bike prices.
sorry if I'm going to far afield, did i mention the strong pain killers I'm on!? ; )
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
Nice job, you knew it was more valuable than $50 that was a rip off price, did you kindly explain why her crap was more valuable than, or is that not your duty.
haha, touché!!!
Very good point... As a matter of fact there is a little more to the story. The bike was title-less and I had to jump through some hoops and invest a small fortune and time ($300 and 3 months) to finally get it legally in my name...

To add, I started this thread to point out how there are some great stories that come from unwise Craigslist sellers- from both parts of the spectrum: dumbasses that try to sell for a ridiculous asking price and those who nearly give it away. At no point was this intended to be a moral/ethical call to arms for the righteous Craigslist buyer

Hey they have the right to ask whatever they want for their bike- good for them, but I find it comical if someone calls them out and they get SUPER defensive and offended.... kind of like what I'm doing now

Please, more stories for the Craigslist dumbass chronicles...
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Craigslist is what Psychiatrist's in training should use instead of text books.

very true!
Go see 50 motorcycles on CL and you will be an expert in a lot of things
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,751
That about sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Buying off of craigslist is as much about sizing up the seller as it is the merchandise itself. If the seller can take photos with something other than a cell phone, email them to you, and speak to you on the phone in complete sentences, these are all good indicators that the seller is not a complete waste of flesh. Sellers who text me with shit like "OK CU L8R" and insist on communicating through text messages and sending 8 shitty blurry photos taken from the exact same angle with a cellphone in their dark garage with no flash, shouldn't even be considered as they just aren't competent enough to own and maintain a motorcycle (or anything else with moving parts for that matter). They're lazy, incompetent, and spend the majority of their life wearing BBQ-sauce-stained sweatpants and probably had a similar disposition when it came to maintenance of their motorcycle.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Motorcycles for many people are an impulse buy and they have no clue how to ride, maintain or store them. For as much as we love bikes there are more people that just want to say they have one for bragging rights. Finally they become desperate for some cash and the neglected machine goes up for sale. I just had a run in with this exact situation.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
In short, I had a to and fro with a CL idiot. I also pissed him off to the point where he told me to leave him alone! Anyway, he had a pic of a beat ass Yamaha DT175 on Cl saying basically this in the ad.

Old Dirt bike, super fast, I think it is a 375 or something, because it is FAST! My dad got it from a dump he got hired to clean up so I don't have a title, but it isn't stolen. I will give you a BOS or something but it isn't stolen. $1200.00 or best offer. It runs well but could use some carb work.

I email and ask him for the VIN so I can both see what it really is and to have it vin checked to make sure it isn't stolen. He sends me the VIN and I run it and find out it is a 1978 Yamaha DT`175. I tell him what it is from the VIN and that it is not stolen or at least off the hot list. He asks me if I want it and I say no. He asks why and I tell him it is only worth 350 to me since it is in such bad condition and has no title. He keeps harping on the fact it runs and isn't stolen, I tell him I'll give him 350 again. he got all bent and asked me why I thought it was not worth anything. I school his dumb ass on why things like not knowing what a bike is nor having a title is a bad thing and detracts from the price and condition is everything and he still gets pissed and basically tells me to stop emailing him!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I really like restoring old (pre-1969) Harleys. Actually, I do vintage Harley restorations as a side job. I buy old 'project bikes' off of craigslist, restore them, ride them for a bit, then sell them.

I probably look at between 1 and 3 bikes that I find on Craigslist every week. 90% of the time, the bike is not as advertised, in a bad way.

I went to look at a 1967 XLCH (kick start only 900cc sportster). I was assured that it ran over the phone. When I got there, the motor was locked up. Couldnt make it budge with either the kicker or by pushing the bike in gear. The guy told me: 'starter just stuck when I went to fire it up for you, and a new battery should fix it and get it cranking'. One: this bike does NOT have an electric start. Two: this bike has NO battery. I let him know that he was full of shit and gave him a low, but fair offer. Then walked away. He calle me 2 weeks later and said I culd buy the bike for my original offer. I said "OK" and went to pick up the bike. He had since sold/removed the carb and magneto off of the bike, and claimed that he never had them!! When i pointed this out, and made him a lower offer he called me a liar. I then pulled out my phone and showed him photos of the bike, with carb and magneto installed, that I took when i first visited. He still denied that the bike used to have the parts. We did not make a deal.

Pre- 1969 Harleys (and a lot ofother 1960's and older bikes) were titled by the motor only. There were no VIN numbers on the frames. I quite often find motor with the VIN's ground off, and a sketchy looking VIN engraved into the frame. "yeah, man just go to the DMV, you can get a title for like $50". Right...
^Winning post!!!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
I particularly like the "Custom Cafe Racers' which often come up. Typically a stock bike with: the front fender removed, bandages wrapping the exhaust, some "monkey fucking a football" handlebars, and a plywood slab seat. Of course these "customizations" raise the value of any bike at least 1000%.

And then there are the "bobbers"......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
That about sums it up.

Right on
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,304
Putting low bars, shit tires, and chopping a big chunk out of the seat, does not make a bike a "Cafe Racer". Nor does it make it worth three times what it was when it was new.

My other favourite is the guy that removes all the easily accessible bits, engine covers, etc..and paint them all the same colour, and then refer to the bike as being "fully customized".

The other alarm bell for me is when someone lists a bike as being "unique" or "rare". This says he's trying to convince a prospective buyer that they should spend more on it than it's worth. Someone that's familiar with the bike already, will know if it's rare or not. Besides, anytime you post something as rare, it's a safe bet you will find 3 or 4 more listed at the same time.

Unfortunately, a lot of these guys are hoping to sell to someone who thinks the same way they do. Which leaves the rest of us scratching our heads.

In Canada, we have Kijiji, which works very similar to Craigslist, and for the most part is filled with the same kind of sellers, but not always.

Most of the bikes I have bought in the last few years have been through various forums ( where no one is going to bullshit anyone about rarity or value), or by simply passing something parked on a front lawn or in a garage. I try not to bother with websites like Craigslist if I can.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post

The other alarm bell for me is when someone lists a bike as being "unique" or "rare". This says he's trying to convince a prospective buyer that they should spend more on it than it's worth.
Another red flag is when they refer to the bike as an "example." A flawless/immaculate/pristine/_____ example. They're just trying to be pretentious.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote