Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 280
Ok, one time I was selling a little Honda cb200 on Craigslist. Several people were interested and looked at it- but the one that took the cake was a father and son tag team dou...
The father was helping his late 20 something surfer dude loser son get his first motorcycle. They asked me all the typical questions. The son didn't have his motorcycle license so the father came along to ride it and check it out... Anyway, these two where like Lloyd and Harry. They rolled up in some beater, one had a "carnigan" the other a pumpkin pie hair-cutted freak look. They also had no real clue what they doing. And bc it was a simply little bike and not heavy I had no problem letting the father take it down the road. Well, this is where I should have seen the red flags- this guys hops on the bike and throws on a bicycle helmet. Before I even realize what's going on, he clicks it in first and takes off....
So his son and I stand there for about five minutes talking. But his pops doesn't return. We both are wondering what is taking so long. After 10-15 minutes or so- the son says he is going to go "look" for his dad. Of course I'm skeptical... I tell him, "heck no, not until you pay me for the bike"
How do I know you're not stealing my bike!
Right about the time when the son and are on the verg of arguing, we see in the distances the bike coming down the road. When the dad pulls up, he's pouring with sweat, he immediately rips into me. Starts telling me how big a piece of junk I have and how it wouldn't start and how I was trying to sell them a pile of crap etc...
After a moment I get him to explain what happened. As he is explaining I can't figure out why the bike all of a sudden is having issues. I'm starting to feel bad, like I'm the bad guy...
I ask him to show me the process of how he was starting the bike....
I nearly miss what he was doing- and bingo- just before he kick starts the bike in neutral, he grabs the clutch... Total rookie mistake. Immediately the tables turn and I point out his incompetence. A very awkward moment insues as he realizes he was getting super ticked at me for his own stupidity... I laughed so hard deep inside as they got in their 84' sheep dog and roiled away
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....

PBOB screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 08:35 PM
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #32
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
i particularly like the "custom cafe racers' which often come up. Typically a stock bike with: The front fender removed, bandages wrapping the exhaust, some "monkey fucking a football" handlebars, and a plywood slab seat. Of course these "customizations" raise the value of any bike at least 1000%.

and then there are the "bobbers"......

+1
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I particularly like the "Custom Cafe Racers' which often come up. Typically a stock bike with: the front fender removed, bandages wrapping the exhaust, some "monkey fucking a football" handlebars, and a plywood slab seat. Of course these "customizations" raise the value of any bike at least 1000%.

And then there are the "bobbers"......

Virago + Bars + Mirrors = cafe racer

http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/...814325721.html

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,171
Not a Virago. It's a XV920 RH., A bike that's close to my heart since I bought one for $750 and have ridden it to the west coast, Canada and Mexico and it's ready for more.
$4500 ?
No.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOB View Post
bingo- just before he kick starts the bike in neutral, he grabs the clutch... Total rookie mistake. Immediately the tables turn and I point out his incompetence. A very awkward moment insues as he realizes he was getting super ticked at me for his own stupidity... I laughed so hard deep inside as they got in their 84' sheep dog and roiled away
I must be missing something.. what's wrong with starting a bike in neutral with the clutch pulled?

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I must be missing something.. what's wrong with starting a bike in neutral with the clutch pulled?
Well, with most bikes (I think ) that have a kick starter- the bike has to be in neutral and the clutch has to be all the way out so that the engine will turn over when you kick it. Otherwise, if you pull in the clutch and kick it, nothing happens. You're kicking air.

Granted, I'm sure there are some bikes out that this rule doesn't apply to. But every motorcycle I've owned with a kicker- this was the case.
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #37
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Crap like this totally ticks me off. That bike tops $1500 in great condition.
I agree with everything you said except this. If it’s a GPz and it’s truly in great condition, it’s worth $2500 if it’s worth a nickel. Honestly I’ll buy all the great condition $1,500 GPz’s you can throw at me at that price. The GPz 550 is a rather special bike.

In my early ‘20’s I had the Yamaha competition to the GPz, the Seca 550. There’s an extremely low miles 1982 Seca 550 on E-bay that’s 100% original and correct, and nearly perfect condition right now for $5,000. Honestly, it’s probably worth around $4,000 and that only because it has just over 1,700 miles and nearly perfect. Honestly, I’d love to have it for old times’ sake, but not at that price.

But yeah, this guy really does qualify as dork of the week. All the work described is considerable and expensive. It’s a project bike at best, and bordering on a parts bike.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #38
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Well, with most bikes (I think ) that have a kick starter- the bike has to be in neutral and the clutch has to be all the way out so that the engine will turn over when you kick it. Otherwise, if you pull in the clutch and kick it, nothing happens. You're kicking air.

Granted, I'm sure there are some bikes out that this rule doesn't apply to. But every motorcycle I've owned with a kicker- this was the case.

Yup, all the old CB's are this way. You really don't want to kill one on a steep hill in traffic. It's tough to find neutral, and kick start it while keeping it from rolling down the hill.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #39
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Not a Virago. It's a XV920 RH., A bike that's close to my heart since I bought one for $750 and have ridden it to the west coast, Canada and Mexico and it's ready for more.
$4500 ?
No.
I always thought the very first generation Viragoís and XVís in general were very homely bikes. However, everyone who owned one told me that they run like a champ, in typical Yamaha fashion. I just never thought anything good looking would come from the XVís until I saw this from Greg Hageman of Docís Chops:

That is BY FAR the best looking Cafť Racer bike Iíve ever seen, and Iím amazed it came from an early Virago. The engine looks fantastic, and the mono-shock frame just oozes cool. Whatís more, itís a Yamaha so you know itís going to run perfectly. Now I see the early Viragoís are all getting snapped up to be made into cafť custom bikes. On the original Viragoís I always thought that was an ugly engine. But now that itís in a Cafť Racer bike, the engine just looks beautiful; what a difference.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #40
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Yup, all the old CB's are this way. You really don't want to kill one on a steep hill in traffic. It's tough to find neutral, and kick start it while keeping it from rolling down the hill.
Maybe itís because all my kick start bikes were either dirt bikes or enduroís, but Iíve never encountered that. So if the bike dies in gear, you canít just pull in the clutch and start it up?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,817
Too much discussion, not enough CL Dumasses. Here's one, you couldn't make this shit up if you tried.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/3836215958.html

Has motorcycle - $160 (yes, that is the title of the ad)

Not the best condition works perfectly nerds a little love willing to negotiate if interested call XXXXX

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
Maybe itís because all my kick start bikes were either dirt bikes or enduroís, but Iíve never encountered that. So if the bike dies in gear, you canít just pull in the clutch and start it up?
Not with the kick starter you can't. The kicker moves a shaft in the transmission. It's connected to the crankshaft of the engine through the clutch. So, with the clutch pulled, you've disconnected the kickstarter shaft from the engine.

Now, back to the dumbassery.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #43
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanShotFirst View Post
I always thought the very first generation Viragoís and XVís in general were very homely bikes. However, everyone who owned one told me that they run like a champ, in typical Yamaha fashion.

Whatís more, itís a Yamaha so you know itís going to run perfectly.
RUN perfectly it might, but if you've ever owned an early Virago/R bike (mine was an '82 RJ, sold after 22 years of ownership and now owned by a fellow here) you'd know that STARTING could be problematic. Early starters could give trouble and no kick was available, but once it fired up it was a bike to love.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #44
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
On most of my Kick start bikes you needed to be in neutral but my Suzuki GT 380 could be kick started if you simply pulled the clutch, I'm sure other bikes had the kickstarter geared directly to the engine instead of the common method of going through the transmission.

However, it is really obvious when you are jumping on the kickstarter if you are turning the motor over or not, this is what makes the guy a dumbass,
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,082
You really wonder how some of these doofs manage to work a computer at all, let alone get an ad on CrackList.

Here's a scary thought: for every one of these monkeys that makes it over the wall and manages to actually post a live ad, just imagine how many more are out there trying and failing.

I'm no spelling Nazi, but why is a rattle-canned Sawzall abomination always referred to as a "custome boober"?
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote