Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #76
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
PBOB---Love this topic, problem is links to ads disappear fairly fast.

Is it possible in the first post to advise to take a screen shot and post it? That way it is saved for posterity--the longest most active thread on Advrider.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #77
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
My avatar was a CL purchase. 200 bucks delivered to me.

On the flipside, buyers can be real narbs too. I have a pristine Honda scooter for sale and I get a call from a guy that offers me $550 for it LOL. I was offered 800 already and passed on that.

"Well I have to drive a long way in my gas guzzler truck", sure, I guess I should pay the guy in China to take it off my hands,
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #78
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
PBOB---Love this topic, problem is links to ads disappear fairly fast.

Is it possible in the first post to advise to take a screen shot and post it? That way it is saved for posterity--the longest most active thread on Advrider.
Please advise--
Take screen shot of ad if possible so it stays and we know what your referring to if seller deletes.
Thx for heads up snailrider
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #79
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,518
So I posted this in an "airhead values" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Just found a repainted, non-running, no-title, 1974 R75/6 for $3500 on craigslist. I offered $500. We'll see how many profanities they reply with..
Story time:

My power went out because of a tornado. They accepted my offer via email, but I didn't see it. Monday morning came around and I saw it in my inbox and arranged to look at it that afternoon, but I can be there earlier if I leave straight from work - on my motorcycle. No truck this time.

They said ok, but to call when I was near.
I told them again that I was on my motorcycle, thus wouldn't be able to call.
They said ok, but to call a different number when I was near.

They asked what time I'd be there.
I said about a half hour. It was 4:08. They replied "4:38?"
I said "roughly" and just ignored all emails/texts on my way up there.

I arrive, backyard full of cars and junk and the bike is sitting out, shocks are completely compressed, and it's sinking about 2 inches into the ground. Mechanically, it's all there and the engine turns over. It's a repaint but it's still in good shape. I have to explain to the guy what year it is, what the model number means, etc.

No title, but he says I can get one really easy and in fact he "gets them all the time" for other vehicles. I ask why he's selling it without one, then. He was confused.

He kept saying "splash of gas and a new battery and it'll run." With all my might I pry open the gas tank and it reeks of bad gas. I pop the carb bowls and they're PACKED full of mud/dirt/white fuzz. I say, "this isn't too good." He replies, "It's not too bad either. I used to own a carburetor shop for 27 years." It's missing the seat and tool tray. I had already asked about it via email and was assured the bike had them. In person, he says, "they're probably in that barn" as he pointed to a dilapidated shack.

He also kept saying that the guy who left it at his shop years ago never gave him the key before he died. If he just had the key he would have been, and still be, riding it all over. The key is literally sticking out of the ignition as he says this. I don't bother pointing that out to him.

I say I'm sticking with $500. He says someone is offering him $4200. Bullshit. I advise him to take that offer. I get home and have an email asking if I can do $650. I reply $500 is my best price.

We'll see if I end up with another crappy old bike..

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #80
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
This poor Ural has been for sale for at least 4 months, every day on SF CL, price going down every month... Still twice its value!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3851000899.html
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #81
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
This poor Ural has been for sale for at least 4 months, every day on SF CL, price going down every month... Still twice its value!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3851000899.html
Somebody must have gotten sick of the reposting, 'cause it's been flagged. How much was he a$king?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #82
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,891
Opposite story... A guy has been listing a 1975 Yamaha DT175 on the Las Vegas CL for something like 8-9 months now. Initial month or two it stated he did not have the title. It didn't sell, months went by, and the "no title" statement disappeared (I'd bet money he still does not have it), but everything else stayed the same, same price, etc. It still didn't sell. So, it just appeared again... and everything is the same - but - the price went up!

Yeah, that's it, if you can't sell it for months on end, it must be priced too low! What a genius!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #83
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
So I posted this in an "airhead values" thread:

Story time:

My power went out because of a tornado. They accepted my offer via email, but I didn't see it. Monday morning came around and I saw it in my inbox and arranged to look at it that afternoon, but I can be there earlier if I leave straight from work - on my motorcycle. No truck this time.

They said ok, but to call when I was near.
I told them again that I was on my motorcycle, thus wouldn't be able to call.
They said ok, but to call a different number when I was near.

They asked what time I'd be there.
I said about a half hour. It was 4:08. They replied "4:38?"
I said "roughly" and just ignored all emails/texts on my way up there.

I arrive, backyard full of cars and junk and the bike is sitting out, shocks are completely compressed, and it's sinking about 2 inches into the ground. Mechanically, it's all there and the engine turns over. It's a repaint but it's still in good shape. I have to explain to the guy what year it is, what the model number means, etc.

No title, but he says I can get one really easy and in fact he "gets them all the time" for other vehicles. I ask why he's selling it without one, then. He was confused.

He kept saying "splash of gas and a new battery and it'll run." With all my might I pry open the gas tank and it reeks of bad gas. I pop the carb bowls and they're PACKED full of mud/dirt/white fuzz. I say, "this isn't too good." He replies, "It's not too bad either. I used to own a carburetor shop for 27 years." It's missing the seat and tool tray. I had already asked about it via email and was assured the bike had them. In person, he says, "they're probably in that barn" as he pointed to a dilapidated shack.

He also kept saying that the guy who left it at his shop years ago never gave him the key before he died. If he just had the key he would have been, and still be, riding it all over. The key is literally sticking out of the ignition as he says this. I don't bother pointing that out to him.

I say I'm sticking with $500. He says someone is offering him $4200. Bullshit. I advise him to take that offer. I get home and have an email asking if I can do $650. I reply $500 is my best price.

We'll see if I end up with another crappy old bike..
When somebody advertises a bike with no title, but "its easy to get" my first thought is always, "why didn't you just get one if its so easy?" Some really stupid people out there.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #84
scotteroni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
CL terminology and translations:

"Just needs a carb cleaning"- Could never get the bike to run right.

"Fresh barn find"- dry rotted tires, smells like farm, covered in pigeon crap, mouse nest in air box.

"Real Head Turner"- People stare because they can't believe how stupid it looks.

"Rare model"- rare because they didn't sell many of them because they were underpower, parts rattled off them or they were just too plain ugly. Oh, and spare parts are hard to find.

"Selling the bike for a friend"- said friend can't figure out how to post simple Cl ad and probably never figured out where the oil fill plug was to add the oil the whole time they owned it.

"custom paint"- rattlecan BBQ spray painted all over.

"Runs mint"- well it did a couple years ago when it was stored under the back deck uncovered.
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #85
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
re: Dumbasses

Credit where credit is due- NADA/AMA/KBB values are,shall I say,a little 'optimistic' (a fu*king mile off is more accurate). Where are these dumbasses getting their data that all of the sellers quote regarding vintage Euro/Oriental machines?? There are only a few traceable auctions such as J. Wood,MidAmerica,etc. All of those combined certainly do not represent the majority of sales made,so there must be a cloud out there somewhere with the numbers they tout......
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #86
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteroni View Post
"Rare model"- rare because they didn't sell many of them because they were underpower, parts rattled off them or they were just too plain ugly. Oh, and spare parts are hard to find.
Ain't that the truth... a local dealer here has been advertising a 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré as being "RARE". So rare that they've had the same bike for almost a year for MSRP (recently discounted to $500 less than MSRP) when everybody else is selling for less out the door (including 13% taxes, PDI, etc). Talk about clueless!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #87
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 534
How about some dumbass buyers???

I always have my ad's state to email with a name and phone number, I will get back to you asap. This allows me to get a grasp of who I'm dealing with, if they cannot compose a email like a adult I don't want to deal with them.

Some of my favorite responses.

"600???" 600 what dipshit? For what? I have more then one CL ad out there

"500 for a untested board" This was in response to a standup paddle board I had posted. It was a brand new board with a minor repair I had done. i was asking $1300. I did sell the board to a cute girl who was friendly and easy to deal with for $1000

"whats ur bottom price?" Seriously this is all you can offer me?

Make note not one of these responses included the buyers name or phone number.

On the other hand I have met some very cool people buying and selling via CL. I really do enjoy it as a way to chat with new people.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #88
PBOB OP
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteroni View Post
CL terminology and translations:

"Just needs a carb cleaning"- Could never get the bike to run right.

"Fresh barn find"- dry rotted tires, smells like farm, covered in pigeon crap, mouse nest in air box.

"Real Head Turner"- People stare because they can't believe how stupid it looks.

"Selling the bike for a friend"- said friend can't figure out how to post simple Cl ad and probably never figured out where the oil fill plug was to add the oil the whole time they owned it.

"custom paint"- rattlecan BBQ spray painted all over.

"Runs mint"- well it did a couple years ago when it was stored under the back deck uncovered.

+1
So true....
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #89
scotteroni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Dont you just love the Cl ads where people say they don't need to sell the bike and they are not really interested in selling it but they want to put "feelers" out to see what some desperate sap would overpay.
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #90
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
When somebody advertises a bike with no title, but "its easy to get" my first thought is always, "why didn't you just get one if its so easy?" Some really stupid people out there.
EXACTLY. Exactly.

..but hey, speaking of stupid, I just bought the bike!

This brings me to my next adventure with that bike. I was able to pop open some luggage on it and found insurance paperwork from 1993. I googled the address and found that the family still lives at that same address.. and it's not very far from me. I think I'm going to swing by tomorrow. Man, I hope they don't tell me it's stolen and hold me at gun point. Man, I hope they tell me they have the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post
How about some dumbass buyers??
You forgot "is it still for sale". That's all they say; not referencing an ad or a price or anything.. not to mention I always put "If this ad is still up, this item is still for sale."

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote