Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #91
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,760
How about the standard incorrect spelling?

Helmut = Helmet
Breaks = Brakes
Custome = Custom

And, there are always the knucklewalkers who advertise the bike as being something it's obviously not from looking at the pictures, I've seen Suzuki's being sold as Yamaha's, Honda's being sold as Kawasaki's, you name it.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #92
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Yeah, that's it, if you can't sell it for months on end, it must be priced too low!
Oddly enough that can be true. I have limited space and a number of bikes and when it comes time to move on - generally around the 30,000km mark - I sell the old ones a grand or so below the norm for a 'basic' model of that bike, simply to move them on quick and free up the garage space. All my bikes get fitted with full hard luggage, heated grips, touring screens, 12v sockets, centre stands and so on as well and are sold fully equipped and generally with long registration. I always get the "what's wrong with it?" and similar questions. When I sold the 1250 Bandit it was by far the cheapest in the country (on our biggest bike sales site) fully specced as above and in mint condition but it sat here for 2 months before a dealer bought it at my advertised price. He then put $3000 more on it and sold it the same week.

(And yes, very full description and many high-quality pics in the ads. Even checked the spelling...)

Scrivens screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 07:35 AM
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #93
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,327
Quote:
Custome = Custom

This brings up my other favorite - the overuse and misuse of the word custom. "It's got custom mirrors, custom turn signals, custom handlebars, custom _____." Alright, so somebody made those mirrors just for that bike? There's only ONE set of those mirrors in the world? No? They're cranked out by the thousands and you just ordered them off the internet? Then they aren't custom. They're AFTERMARKET. Just because some of the parts on the bike didn't come from the factory doesn't mean those are "custom" parts.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #94
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Helmut = Helmet
..and "helment"

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #95
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotteroni View Post
Dont you just love the Cl ads where people say they don't need to sell the bike and they are not really interested in selling it but they want to put "feelers" out to see what some desperate sap would overpay.
I see that a lot here on ADVrider too.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #96
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 496

image by boardrider247, on Flickr
Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #97
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Opposite story... A guy has been listing a 1975 Yamaha DT175 on the Las Vegas CL for something like 8-9 months now. Initial month or two it stated he did not have the title. It didn't sell, months went by, and the "no title" statement disappeared (I'd bet money he still does not have it), but everything else stayed the same, same price, etc. It still didn't sell. So, it just appeared again... and everything is the same - but - the price went up!

Yeah, that's it, if you can't sell it for months on end, it must be priced too low! What a genius!
Well sometimes you just don't know. I remember back in the late 70s my dad was swelling an old 60s Buick. He put an ad in the paper for $100. Everyone that called asked what was wrong with it ( nothing, it ran fine). Nobody came to look at it. So he took out another add asking $500 and sold it to the first person that called.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #98
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
This guy hits the CL trifecta: incorrect information, unintelligible copy and no price. At least there's a reasonable photo. I'm interested but figure it might not be worth the hassle of dealing with him.

juck mans dream

85 Honda hawk gt tipe I factory race bike only 2 year made 95 per.done make real over or trade
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #99
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Yeah, that's it, if you can't sell it for months on end, it must be priced too low! What a genius!
I know a guy that was selling a horse, had it advertised for $1,000. Nice horse and all, had good bloodlines, didn't sell. Waited about 4 or 5 months then advertised it again for $15,000. Sold it in a few weeks.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #100
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
This one is great:

For starters, he is asking $4000 for an xs750. Even if it was mint and still in the original shipping crate it would not be worth that. But it isnt. Its beat up and broke...

Its been 'bobbed' AND turned into a 'cafe racer'... so thats why its worth so much. That 'brat style' seat looks like a crappy home made job... and he just took off / cut down the fenders. I bet the custom side mount tag and tail light are sweet... but we can't see them in the photo...

He 'disabled the electric start' (i bet this just involved cutting some wires, NOT an actual e-start delete)... and tries to make it sound like a good thing because it keeps the battery from draining. Guess what kid, your electric starter system is broke... they do not normally drain batteries. But, kick starting is so cool why would you use the button anyway!? HaHa. Having e-start is nice, no matter how much you love kickers. And broke is still broke. Fix it.

And most importantly... you will get complements from Harley riders on this bike. That alone makes it worth $4000.

Honestly, this is a $500 bike.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #101
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post

image by boardrider247, on Flickr
why would you do that to a modern shaft drive motorcycle
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #102
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,530
Here's a fun one. My favorite part is how he included a picture showing that he bought the bike for $1600 and is now trying to resell it for $2000 without having done anything to improve it.

SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #103
Skowinski
Chordate

I can believe a too low price on something that's worth more might backfire on you. But in the case I posted about, he was asking way too much to begin with, and with no title especially. He is probably reposting the ad again as I type this, with a new, even more ridiculously higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Oddly enough that can be true. I have limited space and a number of bikes and when it comes time to move on - generally around the 30,000km mark - I sell the old ones a grand or so below the norm for a 'basic' model of that bike, simply to move them on quick and free up the garage space. All my bikes get fitted with full hard luggage, heated grips, touring screens, 12v sockets, centre stands and so on as well and are sold fully equipped and generally with long registration. I always get the "what's wrong with it?" and similar questions. When I sold the 1250 Bandit it was by far the cheapest in the country (on our biggest bike sales site) fully specced as above and in mint condition but it sat here for 2 months before a dealer bought it at my advertised price. He then put $3000 more on it and sold it the same week.

(And yes, very full description and many high-quality pics in the ads. Even checked the spelling...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Well sometimes you just don't know. I remember back in the late 70s my dad was swelling an old 60s Buick. He put an ad in the paper for $100. Everyone that called asked what was wrong with it ( nothing, it ran fine). Nobody came to look at it. So he took out another add asking $500 and sold it to the first person that called.

- Lao Tsu

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #104
Skowinski
Chordate

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
why would you do that to a modern shaft drive motorcycle
Because you are an up and coming, soon to be famous, custom bike builder?

Just look at that thing, it's a work of art!

- Lao Tsu

Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #105
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
This one is great:

For starters, he is asking $4000 for an xs750. Even if it was mint and still in the original shipping crate it would not be worth that. But it isnt. Its beat up and broke...

Its been 'bobbed' AND turned into a 'cafe racer'... so thats why its worth so much. That 'brat style' seat looks like a crappy home made job... and he just took off / cut down the fenders. I bet the custom side mount tag and tail light are sweet... but we can't see them in the photo...

He 'disabled the electric start' (i bet this just involved cutting some wires, NOT an actual e-start delete)... and tries to make it sound like a good thing because it keeps the battery from draining. Guess what kid, your electric starter system is broke... they do not normally drain batteries. But, kick starting is so cool why would you use the button anyway!? HaHa. Having e-start is nice, no matter how much you love kickers. And broke is still broke. Fix it.

And most importantly... you will get complements from Harley riders on this bike. That alone makes it worth $4000.

Honestly, this is a $500 bike.

You missed the part about being a professional photographer, unless maybe the broken down lawn tractor in the background added some perspective?
ReCycled is offline   Reply With Quote