Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
kave OP
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 484
Garmin GPS custom routing options

I recently bought a Garmin GPS MAP 276C. One of the major reasons for this purchase was the function "Custom Avoids and Custom Road preferences to Road Routing setup". This option should be really well suited for motorbike use to be able to be routed to the destination on really small roads for example. I have tried this on different occasions but I haven't seen any difference in the calculated route whatever I chose there. I use the european cityselect 7.
This option should also be available on other GPS units, for example the 2610 and 2620.
Anyone with experience?
kave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,272
I do custom routes all the time - bottom slider (minor roads) all the way to the right, middle slider (medium) in the middle and major all the way to the right - works like a champ for me.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Works for me too.

If still not being routed the way you want, force the route to do so using the Add/Edit Waypoint feature.
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
yzf1kr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Remember that your GPS has a maximum amount of point it can contain.

So if you try to do 700km on small backroads the route will go over the maximum amount of points and wil be simplified. Especially in Europe where the road density (and thus intersections, roundambouts etc etc) is much higher.

Try to make shorter routes with custom route.
yzf1kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
When you enter the route, does your Garmin ask you the routing preference? i.e. faster time, shorter distance, off road, or Custom? It could be that the feature is turned off.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,415
One of the options is to "avoid" unpaved roads. If only there was a way to "avoid" paved roads it would be perfect. Can someone hack this?
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
[QUOTE=yzf1kr]Remember that your GPS has a maximum amount of point it can contain.
QUOTE]

The number of waypoints contained varies from model to model. 2610/Nav.II stores 500 I think whilst the 276c stores 3,000. The Quest figure is also considerably higher than that of the 2610.

It's a case of choosing to suit your needs, I saw no need for 3,000 waypoint capability & decided that the expandable memory was of greater importance to me, hence me buying a 14 month old Nav.II recently that's just been replaced under warranty with a new Nav.II Plus due to a loose USB socket, so I'm pretty happy as it came with the 2gb card, v.7 & the whole of Europe preloaded.......
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote