ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Butters OP
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,383
If the Terra/Strada dies, would BMW resurrect the X bikes?

While it is still unclear whether the Husky Terra/Strada will continue, one thing is clear - they seem to sell well. Another Terra/Strada thread got me thinking . . .

If the TR bikes disappear, there is clearly a void that could be filled. I see no reason why BMW couldn't tweak the G650GS engine and put it in a lighter package similar to the Terra/Strada or even just use some of the old X bike pieces. Essentially making a new X-Challenge without an airshock and with reasonable fuel capacity.

The only questions, in my mind, would be could they do it for the same $6995 as Husky and would it hamper sales of the G650GS?

Yes, this is pure conjecture/speculation, but I don't see why a manufacturer wouldn't want to fill a niche that clearly has a demand. And BMW could do it from the parts bin.
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 389
Someone said on the Husqvarna 650 Terra Forum that Pierer the buyer of Husky from BMW did not get the 650 Terra and Strada in the deal, I don't know if this is true or not. If BMW brings back the 650 X-Challenge style of bike it will not be anywhere close to the Husky price, I would guess around $8500 to $9000 list price. Since the X-Challenge was only produced in 2007 for one year they are getting harder to find, plus the bike was not a good seller at that time. I don't think that anyone really knows where this is going, but Pierer himself. I would also say that BMW probably owns the rights to the Rotax 650 engine used in the Husky and I just don't see them turning loose of it to another manufacture, would you.

John

trainman screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:03 PM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mk5mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 282
God I hope so.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,964
Perhaps BMW has a new motor in the works to replace the current Rotax, then what?

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
snailrider
Prostpector
 
snailrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Tuckson Arizona,
Oddometer: 143
Maybe Pierer has a deal going where he works directly with rotax and the design team of the other brands to bring an even more awesome bike alive.

BMW has made it clear they do not want any part of that market. They are now focusing on HIGH END big scooters.

They let the R80GS die, the bike that won the Dakar and gave them credibility.

The Terra will be a rare gem, take care of it.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,613
Rotax has not manufactured this engine since 2009. Rotax may have had a part in the design of the engine originally, but the design is owned by BMW not Rotax.

The current manufacture is Loncin, a Chinese company. They make the engine under license from BMW. As of October 10/13/2012 their contract prohibited them from selling the engine to anyone except BMW or for their own internal use. That is according to Mike Shew, Loncin deputy General Manager.

Husqvarna made some substantial changes to the engine by upping compression, hotter cams, bigger valves, improved cylinder head and changes in ignition. The engine design is still owned by BMW because they owned Husqvarna and the original engine design.

I would like to see the improvements applied to a BMW bike, but I don't think it will happen. They did not do it with the Nuda improvements on the F800 engine.

It is an Opinion but, BMW ended the F650 single production in 2007. BMW killed production of the X bikes. They did bring back the 650 in G650 and Sertao form, due to popular demand, but they are not much different than they were pre 2007. They just do not seem to have much interest in this bike.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Someone said on the Husqvarna 650 Terra Forum that Pierer the buyer of Husky from BMW did not get the 650 Terra and Strada in the deal, I don't know if this is true or not. If BMW brings back the 650 X-Challenge style of bike it will not be anywhere close to the Husky price, I would guess around $8500 to $9000 list price. Since the X-Challenge was only produced in 2007 for one year they are getting harder to find, plus the bike was not a good seller at that time. I don't think that anyone really knows where this is going, but Pierer himself. I would also say that BMW probably owns the rights to the Rotax 650 engine used in the Husky and I just don't see them turning loose of it to another manufacture, would you.

John
i'd say both groups are going to compete in this segment.

the affordable 650 dual-sport has gotten alot of press these days from many directions. I keep reading how this and that editor also also has a DR650 at home and loves it as his kick around bike. DRs and KLRs sell out fast as they are the modern affordable standard. both BMW and KTM are aware of how the TR is selling at that magical price point. affordable transport with 50+mpg will only be stronger in demand these days. look at Honda's strategy.

it's BMW engine for sure even if they tweak the engine mods some. that engine might even be the basis for HP versions of the G bike. what will be interesting is what become of the rest of the package/frame. does that go to KTM or BMW or by by? no way do I see unique Husky tank design carrying over in a BMW world if it goes to BMW. does KTM care enough for the package minus the motor to have fought for it? Pierer only talked about the end of the Nuda at this point.

__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,121
BMW owns the Models??

Well then they should be the entry level bikes on the BMW line. The model is already developed, $0 additional in cost there. Just change the color of the plastics and badges, keep the MSRP the same. Bigger dealer network will equal much bigger sales. Combine the name of the old x bikes and the husky names ie x-terra and x-strada. Market them as competition with the DR650 etc.

These are good bikes it would seem, and it would be a shame to see them die only after a year. The sales would have been better had Husky had a bigger dealer network, of that I am sure.
__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
WRr re-build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
Maybe Pierer has a deal going where he works directly with rotax and the design team of the other brands to bring an even more awesome bike alive.

BMW has made it clear they do not want any part of that market. They are now focusing on HIGH END big scooters.

They let the R80GS die, the bike that won the Dakar and gave them credibility.

The Terra will be a rare gem, take care of it.
BMW did not want to be in the off-road market (enduros and 2 strokes).
They made no mention they are giving up the 650 ADV/Dual-sport segment and their G offers support this. These are transportation bikes and BMW is all about transportation.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Well then they should be the entry level bikes on the BMW line. The model is already developed, $0 additional in cost there. Just change the color of the plastics and badges, keep the MSRP the same. Bigger dealer network will equal much bigger sales. Combine the name of the old x bikes and the husky names ie x-terra and x-strada. Market them as competition with the DR650 etc.

These are good bikes it would seem, and it would be a shame to see them die only after a year. The sales would have been better had Husky had a bigger dealer network, of that I am sure.
I'd say that is the hope of most, existing TR owners for sure.

In the end the chances of BMW doing this are far greater than KTM moving a variation forward. BMW has no problem selling heavier machines with simpler tech vrs KTM's people who desire cutting edge.

Don't see the Terra MSRP staying the same as BMW will 100% want ABS put back on in the US as they are now a 100% ABS company.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,554
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Rotax has not manufactured this engine since 2009. Rotax may have had a part in the design of the engine originally, but the design is owned by BMW not Rotax.

The current manufacture is Loncin, a Chinese company. They make the engine under license from BMW. As of October 10/13/2012 their contract prohibited them from selling the engine to anyone except BMW or for their own internal use. That is according to Mike Shew, Loncin deputy General Manager.

Husqvarna made some substantial changes to the engine by upping compression, hotter cams, bigger valves, improved cylinder head and changes in ignition. The engine design is still owned by BMW because they owned Husqvarna and the original engine design.

I would like to see the improvements applied to a BMW bike, but I don't think it will happen. They did not do it with the Nuda improvements on the F800 engine.

It is an Opinion but, BMW ended the F650 single production in 2007. BMW killed production of the X bikes. They did bring back the 650 in G650 and Sertao form, due to popular demand, but they are not much different than they were pre 2007. They just do not seem to have much interest in this bike.
BMW is going to have an interest (like any company) in what they think they can sell the most of. BMW's fray into the X world was their thought/attempt they could compete and win in the 450 & 650 enduro world. I'd say the F650 went away, not because of interest, but because they thought the X bikes would rule (ie sell) instead. Didn't play out and the F comes back as the G.

Of course BMW never admits they are wrong so the "official" story is our customers demanded the F650 come back so here it is. BMW just then quickly restarted production with a slight visual refresh. Nothing more than a biz decision $$$ to get back in the selling game fast in that segment.

I think you assume they are sitting around thinking how to make this bike the very best possible or not , as a gauge of their bike interest. They sit around and think, what does it take to sell as many as possible w/o incurring alot of additional expense.

Now back to the TR. If BMW truly has full right to this design as is, then yes there is a very strong chance it will come back out as a BMW bike as they have shown they like to keep selling bikes that have been designed and paid for. They might play some with the plastics like they did with the F to G resurrection.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:54 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,613
"I think you assume they are sitting around thinking how to make this bike the very best possible or not , as a gauge of their bike interest. They sit around and think, what does it take to sell as many as possible w/o incurring alot of additional expense."

I own a F800gs, I don't think that at all. Its a business, they would not be in the business if their product did not sell at a profit. Do you suppose maybe that is why they sold Husqvarna?

You may be right about bringing back the 650 back in G650 form being a business decision. They did it after changing to Loncin for engine manufacture. Probably just a cost consideration. Here is a chilling thought, Loncin has a F800 assembly line. You don't suppose at some point there will Chinese 800 engines being made?


The less sophisticated G650 and Sertao, sell for a lot more than the Terra/Strada. Everyone wants a Terra like bike, at the current price. They could sell thousands of them. Everyone seems to forget that Husqvarna lost money. What makes any one think that BMW could produce a Terra like bike at a Terra like price? I clearly stated that my opinion was that they won't. You got a different one that's OK too. My observation is if their current products sells, why spend more money on it?
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 08:20 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,121
Entry level Models

Have the "terra" be the cheapest with no ABS exactly as it is now, and the Strada with ABS for x amount more.

The X-challenge was ahead of it's time (in terms of the market) and had some MSRP add-ons that sucked (eg the air shock). The Husky Terra is the right bike (overall) at the right price, at the right time for the heavyweight dual sport market/middle weight adv bike market. The fastest growing segment of the motorcycle market.

If BMW kept the Terra/Strada models, I am sure they have a plan...
__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
WRr re-build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
satur9
angry black guy
 
satur9's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: hfil
Oddometer: 472
I doubt they keep any variant. The new g650gs is still using x bike parts.i would like to see them follow husky by upgrading the engine to the g650gs (and usd forks while at it) but they have laid claim that the 650gs is their stepping stone entry level bike I doubt they go cheaper. Its a bmw its not supposed to be cheap.
__________________
seriously?.... is that what you ride?
Well, it took a lot of work to be the ass that I am
And I'm real damn sure that anyone can, equally easily f*ck you over ...(modest mouse).
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014