User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Reluctantly joined the face plant club

Well ladies and gents, After only 3 weeks of riding, I managed to go down on my DRZ400s...or up and over. (still cant figure it out) I was going along at about 25 mph, I'd say about 1 1/2 cars lengths behind an SUV. (too close...I know) when the woman in front of me slammed on her brakes. In turn, I clutched, down shifted and hit the brakes quicker than I thought I knew how. The wheel turned to the left and I was off the bike. I know I did about 3 tumbles before coming to a stop. I got up, did a once over and proceeded to throw out some words that would make my fellow devil dogs blush. I saw that she had pulled over, but once I got up, she bugged out. The bike was still running, so I shut it off and brought it to the side. I was lucky..... the person behind me had enough distance to stop behind me. I guess the bike going down was loud enough to get the attention of someone in their back yard, because he came running out from behind his fence. The bike started right up, and all I could see was some rash on my knees, so I rode it home. (after doing a shift and brake check first) On the way home I did notice that the handlebars were cocked to the left a bit. A buddy told me it was most likely the bars tweaked, but to check the forks anyway. Before I continue...ATGATT!!!!!!! my jacket, and cloves saved me some skin and possible a broken elbow. My olympia motosport jacket had a nice chunk work out of it right below the elbow on the pad. The hand guards on the left side seem to have been ground down a bit too. Here's some pics...for your viewing pleasure.

In this pic, the tire is straight ahead, but as you can see, the bars are pointed slightly left.

In this pic, you can see how the left hand guard was ground down.

And finally, in this pic...you can see how my knees were ground down a bit too.

Finally I'll say it again All The Gear All The Time. This could have been a lot worse.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,102
Wait...you got that knee rash wearing ATGATT? What riding pants where you wearing?

You were wearing riding pants right? You know what the first "A" in ATGATT stands for right?

Glad you are more or less OK and that the bike is not too messed up.

Go practice hard braking in a parking lot. SQUEEEEEEEEZE that front brake.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,184
Man, that sucks. Read up on braking, like lucifer said, squeeze the front brake lever, progressively. I try to practice it twice a month, it really does help. Sounds like you grabbed the front brake lever and lowsided. Hurts, don't it. Maybe since you have the DRZ, find some dirt and practice doing a stoppie while going down a slight hill, it has improved my braking tremendously.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK..so you got me on the pants part....
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Man, that sucks. Read up on braking, like lucifer said, squeeze the front brake lever, progressively. I try to practice it twice a month, it really does help. Sounds like you grabbed the front brake lever and lowsided. Hurts, don't it.
Not as much as my pride
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Robus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Most cagers tailgate. You are riding like you are still in a cage. Break those habits fast. If you follow too close on a bike it will catch you. Call this a cheap lesson.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,601
good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robus View Post
Most cagers tailgate. You are riding like you are still in a cage. Break those habits fast. If you follow too close on a bike it will catch you. Call this a cheap lesson.
I was recently in USA and noted how few drives indicated their intention to perform a lane change. The freeway driving behaviour reminded me of MX racing. See a gap, dive into it! This sort of thing is illegal in OZ.

I did notice that most US drivers seemed pretty considerate when off the freeways.

There is no accounting for the idiotic behaviour some drivers will exhibit though. Just treat them as potential homicidal maniacs and keep away from them. it is annoying when they slot into your safety buffer zone though.

I am sitting in pain after a nasty incident with a homicidal wallaby ( small kangaroo).It darted into my DRZ's front wheel when I was going about 50 mph.. I landed on my head.

My RJays Dakar helmet is ruined, my neck brace has paid for itself, Fox pressure suit protected my back. My jacket shoulder is slightly torn, my pants knee area slightly torn.

I have 4 busted ribs and some torn intercostal muscles. The wallaby died!

Without ATGATT policy it culd have been me dead.

My Spot tracker got its first SOS use. it worked well. IT IS ANOTHER THING I WON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT.

Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robus View Post
When I'm in heavy traffic where you have to follow close to the car ahead of you, I ride at the edges of the lanes. Most cars can stop faster than cars so you want an out. If you're off to the side, you'll just go off to the side and not into the trunk of the car.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Everybody got all the riding and gear advice out of the way so now on to the bike. The forks may just be twisted in triple clamps. If the handlebar is lined up and straight with the top clamp then you just need to twist the wheel back into alignment.
cleandirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
marine_mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleandirt View Post
Everybody got all the riding and gear advice out of the way so now on to the bike. The forks may just be twisted in triple clamps. If the handlebar is lined up and straight with the top clamp then you just need to twist the wheel back into alignment.
I figured as much. After looking at the bike from the front, top and side, the fender, bars and trailtech all point in the same direction. I'm going to use the concept of clamping 2x4s to the front and rear tires, loosening the triple bolts, then making measurements on both sides of the bike between the front and rear 2x4s.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 235
Loosen all but one of the triple clamp bolts (I leave the top right tight), hold the wheel between your knees and pull the bars into place. Usually centering the fender over the wheel will get you close enough. Make sure the top of the fork legs are set at the same height above the tripple and tighten her to spec (DRZ has conventional forks but on USD forks overtightening can have very detrimental effects of the suspension).

Easy peasy.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Glad you're ok! Sounds like you tried to turn at the same time as braking hard, that will bite you. Bikes can stop a lot faster than a car, so if you had kept it straight you probably would have been ok.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Glad you're ok! Sounds like you tried to turn at the same time as braking hard, that will bite you. Bikes can stop a lot faster than a car, so if you had kept it straight you probably would have been ok.
Not trying to be an ass, but generally speaking, you're wrong on this. In just about every real world situation, a car will stop in a shorter distance than a motorcycle.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but generally speaking, you're wrong on this. In just about every real world situation, a car will stop in a shorter distance than a motorcycle.
"Generally speaking," there is no hard and fast rule about whether a car or bike can stop faster. Some bikes can stop faster than some cars and some cars can stop faster than some bikes. There are MANY factors involved: driver/rider braking technique, rubber compound, tread pattern, pavement surface, ABS/non-ABS, vehicle model, blah, blah, blah....
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
"Generally speaking," there is no hard and fast rule about whether a car or bike can stop faster. Some bikes can stop faster than some cars and some cars can stop faster than some bikes. There are MANY factors involved: driver/rider braking technique, rubber compound, tread pattern, pavement surface, ABS/non-ABS, vehicle model, blah, blah, blah....
True. Given that most people here ride on knobbies, it's a safe assumption to make that a bike will take longer to stop. But there are definitely a lot of factors to be considered.